E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SOS malfunction....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to remove the center console following some of the threads here and when I placed everything back, I get the SOS malfunction warning. I didn't actually remove the console, just lifted it about 4 to 5 inches up so I can remove the storage box. I didn't disconnect any wires when I did this but I'm not sure if I accidentally disconnected any wires. Does anyone know if the SOS wiring is under the center console? I was trying to route my phone charger so I can charge and leave the phone inside the console (and hiding the wires) instead of leaving it outside. It was working fine before and after I finished up with putting everything back, I get this message. I understand that it might be a software issue, and I do have an appointment next week for an update (with a different issue) but I am not sure if any wiring is under the console, b/c if it is, I would like to remove the charger so I don't get any voids in warranty. I understand that the TCU is in the trunk right? Any help would be appreciated...I have a 2007 530i if that helps.

Oh, I forgot to mention that when i started the car up after screwing everything back to place, the clock resetted itself so i had to manually put the time back in, although the date was correct. Could it be a battery issue??? I did leave the doors open and had to keep pressing the light switch on when it goes out...probably a good 2 hours or so...not sure if this would cause the SOS warning though..
alex
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Members

bump...anyone?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check all the fuses?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

you can get the SOS failure for various reason including if the MOST ring has been disconnected too. So say if you disconnect say the CD Changer, the TCU cannot work and hence SOS can't too.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='590772' date='May 29 2008, 07:36 AM
you can get the SOS failure for various reason including if the MOST ring has been disconnected too. So say if you disconnect say the CD Changer, the TCU cannot work and hence SOS can't too.
thanks bruce for the info. I feel alot better...I checked the wirings underneath the console and everything is in place...I may have moved something to cause the warning. Is it normal for the bluetooth to be disabled too with the SOS malfunction? Anyhow, I am getting it in for reprogramming next week, hopefully everything will work again.

alex
Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If your bluetooth is also gone then you've probably blown the fuse for the TCU.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='591042' date='May 29 2008, 04:20 PM
If your bluetooth is also gone then you've probably blown the fuse for the TCU.
I'm in the same situation, I unplugged some things in the center console and now my SOS malfunsion light turns on, I neve rhtought It may be a fuse, I'll check mine as well to see. It is a fuse.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='591043' date='May 29 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm in the same situation, I unplugged some things in the center console and now my SOS malfunsion light turns on, I neve rhtought It may be a fuse, I'll check mine as well to see. It is a fuse.

Does anyone know what fuse no. It is? Is it #80?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by fusionaccord' post='591128' date='May 29 2008, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know what fuse no. It is? Is it #80?
I would just check all of them, just in case. I have had cases when some fuses affect other things.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Members

You guys ROCK! it was a blown fuse... I've been down these last few days fearing the worst (blown TCU, having to pay for it, etc) and it turns out that it's a blown FUSE! FYI, it was fuse #37 in the glove compartment. Many thanks to Bruce_Miranda and baadaaboo....Good luck Eugene134...I hope its the same case for you too. I feel SO RELIEVED!!!!!!!!! THANKS to everyone for your help. I never knew how much I missed my bluetooth

alex

Quick Reply: SOS malfunction....