E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS button

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my 530i in February and have yet to touch the SOS button. I was told that when I have some time to press the button and activate the system. I was wondering what the purpose was? (I am in the US).

Is the system just for emergencies? I have a friend who has the car and has never pressed the button and was told by his dealer that it comes activated and will work for its intended emergency use straight from the factory.

Does anyone use this for anything other than emergencies? Will it contact Roadside Assitance?

Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by phester' date='Mar 17 2005, 09:49 AM
I purchased my 530i in February and have yet to touch the SOS button.? I was told that when I have some time to press the button and activate the system.? I was wondering what the purpose was?? (I am in the US).?

Is the system just for emergencies?? I have a friend who has the car and has never pressed the button and was told by his dealer that it comes activated and will work for its intended emergency use straight from the factory.

Does anyone use this for anything other than emergencies?? Will it contact Roadside Assitance?

Thoughts?
[snapback]102852[/snapback]
Not sure where you are located but when I took delivery of my 545 the dealer did an "activation" call from the car. I would expecy that whether or not you have done the activation call the system would still do its stuff in the event of an emergency.

I had the sense that the major point of the "activation" call was to try and get credit card details for the premium services they offer as well.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

My salesman told me to call as well when I have a chance. They just wanted to verify my information. They asked me a couple of general questions. Was pretty cool the way it works.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by phester' date='Mar 17 2005, 05:49 PM
I purchased my 530i in February and have yet to touch the SOS button.? I was told that when I have some time to press the button and activate the system.? I was wondering what the purpose was?? (I am in the US).?

Is the system just for emergencies?? I have a friend who has the car and has never pressed the button and was told by his dealer that it comes activated and will work for its intended emergency use straight from the factory.

Does anyone use this for anything other than emergencies?? Will it contact Roadside Assitance?

Thoughts?
Pushing the button to get connected to them so they can ask you for details... That means it comes activated, doesn't it?

Even if you don't pay for BMW Assist... What can they do? Not take action after you tell them you had an accident and need help? Not send help if the car sends an emergency call? There would be a huge lawsuit coming if they just refuse to help. So, in case of emergency it contacts BMW Assist. That's what it's there for.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Orient Blue/Beige interior 545i: Cold weather pkg, Nav system, Premium sound, Sport Pkg, satellite prep, 30% smoke tinted windows all around, waiting for my euro red reflectors and umbrella!

When I picked my car up, we did an "activation call" while at the dealership. It was a nice touch, but they did try and get credit card info from me. I politely declined. My advisor told me it can be used like a concierge service for movie times, tickets, hotel, etc.... I think I'll try that out
Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

When I picked up my car, the sales lady pushed the button, nothing happened. She left the car and in a few minutes I heard "Gwinnett County 911, what's your emergency????"

I freaked out. I told her that the sales lady pressed the button, and she laughed at me.

Once it was activated, BMW Assist comes on. Feel free to press it and say your just checking to see if it works. They're pretty nice.

james
Old 03-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by phester' date='Mar 17 2005, 11:49 AM

Thoughts?
I sometimes use it just to ask the lady on the other end what she's wearing.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributors

I hadn't thought of that. Of course, I think each time I've pressed it a guy answered, so I'll check it on the way home and see if a lady answers...

james

Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Mar 17 2005, 07:28 PM
I hadn't thought of that.? Of course, I think each time I've pressed it a guy answered, so I'll check it on the way home and see if a lady answers...

james

[snapback]102903[/snapback]
You can ask the guy too...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lavish12' date='Mar 17 2005, 12:33 PM
When I picked my car up, we did an "activation call" while at the dealership. It was a nice touch, but they did try and get credit card info from me. I politely declined. My advisor told me it can be used like a concierge service for movie times, tickets, hotel, etc.... I think I'll try that out
[snapback]102878[/snapback]
My dealer did the activation call for me also which I thought was a nice touch.But they never asked me for any credit card information.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: SOS button