E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A Sorry Tale

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a 545 SE in June last year, posted a few pics here on the forum, and had a few happy months of motoring.

Like most i enjoyed the smooth powerful V8, the comfy interior and general quite and calm inside the cabin - all was well in my little motoring world.

As a treat i invested in some ACS furniture to spruce up appearences, I opted for an ACS front and rear spoiler - nice - all was still well.

Despite many not liking the apearence I just felt as though I had a more "intelligent" understanding of what makes good design. I felt sure, and still do, that it is just a matter of time before it gains a "mass" appeal.

Gremlins weren't off though...

The Orchestra

First, that slient cabin gradually became an animal orchestra of squeaks, creaks and groans. I made good with the silicone spray and quietened down many a chirpy fixture but it never felt totally "tight". One feature I wouldn't spec again is sunroof, I could hear it creak and flex slightly whenever I went over a ramp, I really wondered waht it did for structural rigidity.

The Bone Jarring

I specifically went for the SE to get a smoother ride as I was worried about the runflats. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference, it was both soft in corners and bone jarring over the bumps. My routine journey to work became a well oiled slalom around potholes, manhole covers and minor irregularities.

The Jelly

Now here's the killer, as fast as the 545 was it was never more than unhappy when getting a bit enthuastic in the corners. Initial turn-in was soft and never settled, so you never reached that point where you feel that she's ready for a bit of gas. In fact, I could never feel where the limits were so over time just didn't have the courage to try and find them. This left me with a car that was fast in a straight line but lost it all on the corners. My normal driving excursions, just for fun, completely stopped - driving nirvana over.

The Killer Moment

Returned my car to the dealer to fix rattling windows. BTW they really fixed that, I know that there has been a lot on here about lubricating the seals but my dealer replaced the entire set under warrently and cured the rattling. Anyway, the loaner car was a 520i sport in black. Boy did I have fun, handled on the proverbial rails, looked mean with the sport bodykit - depressed i was! ?50k 545i outdriven by 520i.

So why, well, sports suspension for one. Also I suspect tyre technology has moved on, my 545i ran on Dunlops, the 520i on Bridgestones, despite being a sport it was smoother.

The Consequence

That was the final straw, something had to be done.

Ordered 997s, cancelled order - couldn't justify the money - more grief....

The answer, closer to home than I imagined......

A 2000 mile March 05 645ci in Stratos Gray with cream interior. So far, two weeks in, I'm still in the honeymoon period so I will reserve judgement - however, handling is peachy, low, tight and flickable, comes across as a grown up M3.

PS - It's nice to be back - my last post was c 6 months ago

Jonboy
Old 07-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Congrats Jonboy!! The 645 is an awesome car! Glad you found what you were looking for!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Senior Members

congrats ! mind to share some pics ?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

The Killer Moment

Returned my car to the dealer to fix rattling windows. BTW they really fixed that, I know that there has been a lot on here about lubricating the seals but my dealer replaced the entire set under warrently and cured the rattling.

interesting ... I called Sytner City (London) to ask them if they would fix my window squeaks under warranty ... short answer: no way. pay for it yourself.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Ahh, another 6er in the midst. Congratulations. I selected more on esthetics, and sporty nature as I had no obligations to carry more than my wife. Never have been sorry and it has been near perfection nearing 7k miles and 6 months.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:37 AM
congrats !? mind to share some pics ?
[snapback]152749[/snapback]
more than happy - didn't want to bore the board with "wow here is my new car!!!"

jonboy
Attached Thumbnails A Sorry Tale-picture.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

WOW!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, Heads-up

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jul 25 2005, 09:50 AM
WOW!!!? ? ? ?
[snapback]152798[/snapback]
Congrats, very nice looking ride.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Members

Very nice, you have to go with whatever makes you happy. Congrats.

cheers,
Jack
Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jul 25 2005, 07:50 AM
WOW!!!? ? ? ?
[snapback]152798[/snapback]

It's amazing what a few coats of Zymol will do!

My next challenge is to avoid blinging it up with spoliers!!!

Quick Reply: A Sorry Tale