E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Soon to join the fold... I think...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi forum --

Been a lurker for a bit, but as of this morning I am officially in the market for a new sedan...

I say this morning, because sometime between 10pm last night and 6am this morning, some a**hat stole our '90 Benz 420 SEL from in front of our house...

As a lurker, I had been planning on ordering a 550 just how I wanted it in the hopes of recieving it in a couple of months. It seems my schedule has been accelerated a bit.

Let me just say how many of you have beautiful cars... it really is a form of cruel and unusual punishment to ogle all the pics

I will start out my posting career with one particular question... hopefully not inflamatory...

I have kids, and wanted a mid- or large-sedan to replace our large-large-sedan. I was leaning towards a 550 as it's midsize-ness seemed appealing. My boy-racer days are behind me(original M3, Porsche 993) but I still enjoy a spirited drive now and again...

My question is, 'who shopped the 5 against the 7 and what were your conclusions?'

I know there are a million answers and a million questions to my question, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

I imagine for some it was a price issue(but not much of one as the prices all start to converge near one another) or a performance issue(availability of SMG, Manual, 'better handling', etc...) or an image one(the 7 is the provenance of 'young drug dealers', successsful executives, etc...)

or is it more like the words of Ferris Bueller -- "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..."

I would opt for sport-variants of either beast. While I'd love an M5, it would be wasted on me, so the 550 seemed like the gentleman's M5.

I would like a new 550, but would consider a used 7 as the prices can be quite attractive.

But that's enough rambling for now.

Cheers,

S.G.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Members

I might be able to help a little because I got to sit a brand new 750i for about 15 minutes, while waiting for my salesman to test drive the 550i. In this case, I think you will have to ask yourself if handling/speed is more important or cabin size and comfort. The speed and handling of the 550i was simply awesome, but I am pretty sure that 750 is just almost as good. However, while sitting inside both the 550 and the 750, I was simply impressed by the larger cabin of the 7-series and it was also more luxurious than the E60.

Your family will probably not feel cramped or uncomfortable inside the 5, but I can definitely say that they will feel more comfortable inside the 7. I hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Members

One more thing, when buying a used 7-series....try to avoid getting one from 2002. One of our family friends here in Chicago bought a 2002 745i back then, and since it was a first year production car....they have had countless problems with the electronics. Nonetheless, they love the way it drives and will be trading it in for a 750i later this year when the warranty runs out.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Having looked at both, I have to say that I first considered BMW because I drove a 745i at a Lexus Taste of Luxury event, and fell in love with the car. Then, when I had the chance to drive the 5er, I realized that the cost-benefit of going to the 7 series just was not there for me. (When I got the car, the lease differential would have been about 50%.) And the 545i sport was a real blast!

Now, with the lease rates more nearly alike, I might opt for the 7er. More lux, and not that much less driving excitement frankly. The 7er is just about the best automobile on the planet IMO. If I could afford a Maybach, I would still likely opt for the 750iL. (Not having driven the 760i I cannot say what effect that vehicle would have on me!)
Old 04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Mr_550' post='267437' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi forum --

Been a lurker for a bit, but as of this morning I am officially in the market for a new sedan...

I say this morning, because sometime between 10pm last night and 6am this morning, some a**hat stole our '90 Benz 420 SEL from in front of our house...

As a lurker, I had been planning on ordering a 550 just how I wanted it in the hopes of recieving it in a couple of months. It seems my schedule has been accelerated a bit.

Let me just say how many of you have beautiful cars... it really is a form of cruel and unusual punishment to ogle all the pics

I will start out my posting career with one particular question... hopefully not inflamatory...

I have kids, and wanted a mid- or large-sedan to replace our large-large-sedan. I was leaning towards a 550 as it's midsize-ness seemed appealing. My boy-racer days are behind me(original M3, Porsche 993) but I still enjoy a spirited drive now and again...

My question is, 'who shopped the 5 against the 7 and what were your conclusions?'

I know there are a million answers and a million questions to my question, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

I imagine for some it was a price issue(but not much of one as the prices all start to converge near one another) or a performance issue(availability of SMG, Manual, 'better handling', etc...) or an image one(the 7 is the provenance of 'young drug dealers', successsful executives, etc...)

or is it more like the words of Ferris Bueller -- "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..."

I would opt for sport-variants of either beast. While I'd love an M5, it would be wasted on me, so the 550 seemed like the gentleman's M5.

I would like a new 550, but would consider a used 7 as the prices can be quite attractive.

But that's enough rambling for now.

Cheers,

S.G.

If you must go big, I'd suggest buying a slightly used 750. The depreciation on a 7 is simply mind boggling.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

I just bought a '06 750iL about a month ago for my wife and 3 kids. We love everything about it (power, stability, handling, cabin size, auto everything... Oh, did I mentioned power!?) I drive my 545i as a daily commuter car, while it is a great sport sedan; it simply can't compare to the 750. May be my boy racer days are over too?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

I was in the same situation as you about a year and a half ago. I wanted a 7 but also wanted a 5 I looked at the sevens first and drove one home for a night loaded with a sport package I must say that the car is definitely amazing but I had to give the 5 the benefit of the doubt.

After probably 5 minutes of driving the 5 I was sold on it. The seven is a awesome car, but my conclusion was that if you want a sedan but still want a little sports car feel, then definitely go with the 550 (Mine is an 05 so it is a 545) I truly believe that in the long run you will be much more pleased. As others mentioned the depreciation on the 7 is insane and it just doesnt feel the same as the 5... If you are wanting pure luxury then the 7 is the ticket. For luxury with a more sporty feel go with the 550.

My advice is to go drive them both for a couple of hours and If you are anyway like I was then soon after pulling off the lot in a 550 you will feel like the car was made for you!!

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

Mr. 550:

Have you considered a quick ED to save a few thousand bucks? I mean, even without any further discounts from ED MSRP, the savings of a new 7 is five thousand bux. More if you can talk the dealer into selling it for a certain dollar amount over ED invoice. The same applies to an E60 too. All you will have to do is fly out there, pick the car up and the drop if off right away. I know that this dilutes the whole ED process, but it is a good way to save some bux. We would have done it if we had more vacation time. Better yet, how about a vacation in Europe with your family and a new BMW!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i with Leon Hardiritt Kloster Wheels 19x9 on Bridgestone Potenza RE-750 (245/35/19) and 19x10 (275/30/19). Premium package with no NAV, no BT, no Xenons.

Your sig denotes you've partially made up your mind. Like a lot of the posts here, test drive both and go with your instinct.

The 7 was just a bit too big for my taste. I also like the feeling of driving a sportier-looking car with a touch luxury so I went with the E60.

I don't regret my decision one bit. Either way, both are great cars.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

7 series = ultimate machine to drive : 5 series = ultimate driving machine.

As others suggest, drive both. I think you will find that you are much more connected to the driving experience in an E60.

Quick Reply: Soon to join the fold... I think...