E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SON OF GOD nail in tire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM SO PISSED right now. I just paid $800 TODAY to get my TL fixed that some idiot ruined. Out of $800 there. The E60 has been sitting for the last week so I decide to take it out on this fine Friday afternoon. I come back from the gym which is a 5 mile drive and I hear hissing from the tire. FUCKING nail in my tire. WTF. I must have yelled "FUCK" 20 times so that everyone in a 2 mile radius heard my frustration. I can feel the nail in there and the tire is losing air I can hear it hiss. Its hissing at me and mocking me because it knows I will be out another $300 on this repair.

My question is can the tire be patched up? The screw is still in there. How safe is driving with a screw in my tire? Will those "patch kits" work or not? Last time I had the tire repaired it cost me $280. FUCK.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Where are you going for a $280 tire repair?
A patch will cost less than $50 at most tire discount stores. Whether or not it can be patched depends on the location.
If its too close to the sidewall no big tire store will do it. They'll say something like "The integrity of the tire is compromised since its too close to the sidewall" and they won't patch it due to liability. As long as its not completely deflated you should be fine just get it to a repair shop safely and ASAP.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Where are you going for a $280 tire repair?
A patch will cost less than $50 at most tire discount stores. Whether or not it can be patched depends on the location.
If its too close to the sidewall no big tire store will do it. They'll say something like "The integrity of the tire is compromised since its too close to the sidewall" and they won't patch it due to liability. As long as its not completely deflated you should be fine just get it to a repair shop safely and ASAP.
$280 for new tire. Here is a picture of the bastard.
Attached Thumbnails SON OF GOD nail in tire!-23.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM
jgt
Contributors

That picture looks identical to a tire puncture I had 3 years ago. Same type of screw bolt with the built in washer although the head of my screw was smaller. The washer around the head of the screw actually helped seal in the air. LOL! I just kept hearing the metal smacking the pavement since I had my windows down and decided to check out the tire and there it was.
Location wise it this looks repairable. Hopefully the screw's diameter isn't huge...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Ya this happened on the way home. I just shelled out $800 on the TL and now $280 on this if the tire needs replacing. I hear it hissing though its obviously losing air but I am not getting anything on iDrive and the tire is not flat. Been hissing for an hour. You think its safe to drive on it? Do the DIY kits work or should I go to midas and have them fix it?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
jgt
Contributors

That screw is sealed in there. Just take it at a safe speed to a Mida's or Discount Tire they'll patch it properly.
I've never tried the DIY kits and probably wouldn't unless it was a real emergency and there were no repair shops open. Real tire patches are just too cheap and safe to pass up.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jgt
That screw is sealed in there. Just take it at a safe speed to a Mida's or Discount Tire they'll patch it properly.
I've never tried the DIY kits and probably wouldn't unless it was a real emergency and there were no repair shops open. Real tire patches are just too cheap and safe to pass up.
Thanks for being helpful. Any idea why the tire is losing air is its "sealed in"? Would the tire lose enough air to trigger the iDrive error or most likely not? I don't want to tell my parents LOL. They will blame it on me or something.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
jgt
Contributors

Mines never hissed because the head was on the tread evenly. Yours looks like its right on the edge of one of the treads so the head of the screw does not have an even surface to mate to. You'll probably get an "flat tire" alert soon which can be cleared and reset in the IDrive.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Mines never hissed because the head was on the tread evenly. Yours looks like its right on the edge of one of the treads so the head of the screw does not have an even surface to mate to. You'll probably get an "flat tire" alert soon which can be cleared and reset in the IDrive.
I will get it repaired by Monday. I hope it does not give me error. Damn luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I will get it repaired by Monday. I hope it does not give me error. Damn luck.
That looks like one big muther of a bolt. Take this to a real tire shop and be sure they use both a plug through the hole AND a patch on the inside of the tire. HOWEVER, if the puncture is anywhere near the shoulder of the tire you're "screwed" - no pun intended!

Quick Reply: SON OF GOD nail in tire!