E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Something I've learned about the xi model from my mod shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

I talked to the mechanic who put mods on my car about the e60 xi models and learned a couple things which I want to share with other xi owners.

First of all, the guy I talked to was the head of a service department in a BMW dealership before so I believe his knowledges is somewhat reliable. So here are the information:

1. The e60 xi models are actually designed by GM, not BMW themselves. And it's totally different from the what the X3 or X5 have.
2. The xi models CAN go staggered on rims and tires. It doesn't matter what the width difference is, as long as the difference of front and rear tire diameter is less than 0.1 inch. Otherwise the all time all wheel drive system will likely to be failed in 3 years.
3. If the xi model is lowered with SPRINGS ONLY, then the life span of the suspension will likely to be less than 4 years.

In conclusion, he suggested that if money is not an issue, and if you have violated #2 or #3 above, sell the car immediately after the warranty from BMW has expired to avoid the heavy maintenance expenses in the future.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Did he say anything about the non xi models? Just like to know.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Contributors

The e60 xi models are actually designed by GM -- GM as in General Motor? as in the maker of the american mules with 4 tires? (hey a little bit of humor will you)
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='434412' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:14 AM
First of all, the guy I talked to was the head of a service department in a BMW dealership before so I believe his knowledges is somewhat reliable.
Well there's your first mistake...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Mine's a lease, so screw BMW. They can have the suspension and all its problems back when I return it. I just feel bad for the CPO buyer who takes the car next.

As for the staggered wheels, every xi owner should go this route. It's a no brainer and makes a world of difference.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 AM
HWF
Members

Maybe when he said designed by GM, he really meant to say designed by Land Rover when it was owned by BMW. It has since been sold to GM, and perhaps that's where the GM comes into the picture.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Question

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='434412' date='Jun 11 2007, 01:14 AM
I talked to the mechanic who put mods on my car about the e60 xi models and learned a couple things which I want to share with other xi owners.

First of all, the guy I talked to was the head of a service department in a BMW dealership before so I believe his knowledges is somewhat reliable. So here are the information:

1. The e60 xi models are actually designed by GM, not BMW themselves. And it's totally different from the what the X3 or X5 have.
2. The xi models CAN go staggered on rims and tires. It doesn't matter what the width difference is, as long as the difference of front and rear tire diameter is less than 0.1 inch. Otherwise the all time all wheel drive system will likely to be failed in 3 years.
3. If the xi model is lowered with SPRINGS ONLY, then the life span of the suspension will likely to be less than 4 years.

In conclusion, he suggested that if money is not an issue, and if you have violated #2 or #3 above, sell the car immediately after the warranty from BMW has expired to avoid the heavy maintenance expenses in the future.
I do not believe? If this is true , I will be very pissed off like many other owners
Maybe they want U 2 buy extended warranty/maintenence, I do not know
Please keep posted.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Yeah, Thomas...not so sure that our cars are GM related. Doesn't make sense based on all the articles I read in Bimmer magazine in the last year, when it comes to our cars. It shouldn't and wouldn't be a secret, so I'm a little surprised by this.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='434438
The e60 xi models are actually designed by GM -- GM as in General Motor? as in the maker of the american mules with 4 tires? (hey a little bit of humor will you)
GM = General Motors USA

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='434508
I do not believe? If this is true , I will be very pissed off like many other owners
Maybe they want U 2 buy extended warranty/maintenence, I do not know
Please keep posted.
Well, the guy has his own shop and doesn't work in BMW anymore. So he's not trying to sell me anything. Like you, once I've heard the name GM, I'm all pale then red .
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

GM?? What part of the xi is designed by GM? I think none. The AWD transfer case for the X3/5 and 3/5-series xi is made by Magna Steyr. The main difference between X3/5 and 3/5-series transfer case is that the X3/5 have a chain drive inside and the 3/5-series have a gear inside for space reasons.

By the way, Magna also designed and built the X3 in it's own factory. Although, I think BMW is now building or going to build them in South Carolina.

Tom

Quick Reply: Something I've learned about the xi model from my mod shop