E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Someone stole my safety check sticker

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

In CA we don't have inspection stickers. You need to have your car tested for emissions every few years, and if it passes, they send an electronic communication to DMV--if you don't pass when required, you can't renew your registration. Seems like a better way to handle it than a sticker. And if those stickers are designed anything like the registration renewal stickers that go on CA plates, it's impossible to remove them without destroying them.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I like NJ's the best -- just one sticker on the driver's corner of the windshield.
I like Florida better. No inspection, no stickers, and they only give you a rear license plate. No front plate.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jun 5 2005, 03:50 PM
I like NJ's the best -- just one sticker on the driver's corner of the windshield.
I like Florida better. No inspection, no stickers, and they only give you a rear license plate. No front plate.
[snapback]136488[/snapback]
And we get a lot of junk cars. Some really sorry wrecks are being driven on our Florida roads. Had a junker run a red light yesterday cause his brakes did not work. Fortunately I was in the 6er with good avoidance capability and stayed out of his way. I do believe were I in any other of my vehicles I would have hit him. There should be a way to get unsafe vehicles off the road.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jun 5 2005, 01:56 AM
Does every car in Hawaii have to have one? Horrible thing to have to stick on. I'm surprised that it hasn't been stuck over one of the PDC sensors.?

Could it not be installed under the hood or in a door jam where the type pressures are indicated? It would stop someone from nicking it.

BTW, is that a valid number plate on the car or a dealer reg?

[snapback]136338[/snapback]
to answer your question, yes. some people bought a small "steel plate" and installed it on the rear license plate frame or right under the bumper. but it's illegal to do so from last year . the dealer put the sticker on and i don't think they are that stupid to cover the pdc sensor .

it has to be on the rear bumper because it's easier for, who else, the cops . they'll give you a ticket if it's expired. it's a very stupid idea. there are so many safety check stickers got stolen every day . people who steal the stickers are most likely the ones have damaged cars (cracked windshield, broken lights, no insurance, etc.). they know they won't pass the safety check so they steal a sticker from other car instead. but if they get pull over, they are in trouble.

no, that is a temporary paper plate. i got the car in june of last year. my baby is almost a year old (this coming wednesday) .
Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 5 2005, 02:36 AM
alohalc, you can remove the resudual glue with someting like "Goo Gone" or WD-40.

I can't believe Hawaii doesn't use the kind of stickers that most everyone else uses -- the kind that go on the inside of the windshield...
[snapback]136343[/snapback]
thanks again, rudy ! i'll try wd-40 since i have that at home. but do i need to rejex that area after ?

i also like the stickers on the inside of the windshield and it's been like that in other places for years. but we have the stickers on the rear bumper because it's easier for the cops to pull you over .
Old 06-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fuenfer' date='Jun 5 2005, 09:12 AM
I remember having these on my car back in the 80s/90s when I lived in Hawaii.? I remember the "in" thing back then was to screw-in a metal plate at the bottom of the bumper and attach the safety-check stickers there.? I'm assuming that HPD has started to crack-down on that?? I had a friend who was driving through Waikiki and got pulled over for that once upon a time.? And from the cops' perspective, I guess these stickers make sense -- get a sense of whether the car is in full compliance or not from behind the car.? But they sure do destroy the look of the car.
[snapback]136437[/snapback]
it's illegal now but i think i'm going to get that no matter what. if those #$%&ers want to steal the stickers, go ahead and take the whole plate. don't scratch my bumper .
Old 06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jun 5 2005, 10:59 AM
Are you allowed to have the sticker next to the numberplate?? I think that will look much better..
[snapback]136463[/snapback]
i'm going to get the metal plate like fuenfer mentioned and put it right next to the license plate.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

KNow what you should do scan and make a copy and stick the copy on your bumper but keep the original in the car rear windshield. So cops can see it but people wont want to steal a copy.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

good idea but not really working that way . the stickers are made out of those reflective materials.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

just cleaned the aread with wd-40, very nice and as smooth as just rejexed . but i can't get the metal plate because i've just noticed there are some small scratches around that area . i need to put the stickers on again to cover them . it'll cover most of them but one or two tiny ones :'(.

Quick Reply: Someone stole my safety check sticker