E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008 | 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BMW 545i' post='727827' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:51 PM
I have exactly the same problem as you, with the only difference that I have Stlye 167 rims with M6 offset on my 545i. Also purchased brand new rubber Vredestein on all four wheels. I have the same vibration even before I changed rims and tyres. Any suggestions?
All I know about this matter is:

- I been driving BMW cars for some 30 years now

- Every time I have bought non OEM wheels and non BMW proved tires vibrations have occurred

- Vredenstein's are not BMW approved tires

A BMW is very responsive for it's tires and wheels, that I've learned.
That's why they are so nice to drive...
Old 11-22-2008 | 05:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='727838' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:09 PM
All I know about this matter is:

- I been driving BMW cars for some 30 years now

- Every time I have bought non OEM wheels and non BMW proved tires vibrations have occurred

- Vredenstein's are not BMW approved tires

A BMW is very responsive for it's tires and wheels, that I've learned.
That's why they are so nice to drive...
I started off at the dealer. After numerous trips to the dealer they warrantied 2 rims saying they were bent. The vibration did not change. Next they put a different set of rims and tires, I assume from a new vehicle, on my car and said the problem went away. I drove the car and it still vibrated. The main problem is that the dealership is in Riverside CA and all the hwy roads are concrete wih expansion joints. I live 45 minutes away. The problem rears its ugly head on smooth pavement. When my wife ran a run flat, that went flat, too long and ruined a rim I figured time to get rid of the stock rims and RFT's and went to a 20" set up..... The ride quality increased dramatically but the EXACT same vibration existed. I am 100% sure the problem is with the suspension/chassis. Any suggestions on where to look next would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2008 | 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='695669' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:39 PM
You're problem is probably the hub centric rings. I've spoken with a couple of tire dealers and they all say you'll never be able to balance out wheels with hubcentric rings. If you can balance it, the balance wont hold for very long either way.
I'm with him!!!!
Old 11-22-2008 | 09:13 AM
ukr
Members

My Ride: 530i n52
Model Year: 2006

It could alos be the following items causing vibrations: bent hub, worn out exles, driveshaft, and trail arm bushings.

Next time you get tire balance ask them to reset the balancing machine before doing the balance.
Old 11-23-2008 | 03:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='703921' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:40 PM
The freeway roads around the dealer are concrete. I live 45 miles away and near my home there are good roads. From day one the dealer has tried to fix it but they can't experience the problem because they would have to drive far. The car starts vibating after 60 and does it 50% of the time....... sometimes on the same stretch of road it's fine somtimes it vibrates.

Wow, i though i was the only one, i have a 06 525xi over 40mph i get vibration and the odd thing is it doesnt happen every time, dealer has checked all parts and says everything is ok, each time i go to dealer the freakin car doesnt vibrate its frustratingggggggggggggggggggg
Old 11-23-2008 | 03:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:38 AM
I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration, mostly in the seats. After multiple trips to the dealer, Road Force balancing, 2 new oe 18" rims, I lived with it thinking that it was the run flats. Well my wife ran the car on the freeway with a flat and blew the inner side out of a tire and ruined a rim..... I was excited because I was not only going to get rid of the run flats but for the cost of one a new oe rim and 2 new Bridgestone run flats I could go to 20's on new rims. My buddy is in the business and we ordered up a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires. I had them Road force blanced. The rims and tires came in well with in the limits..... My car still frickin vibrates and I want to scream. The suspension has been checked by the dealer on multiple times and all is good. The vibration comes and goes but what is weird is that it seems that after some small bumps or road imperfections it seems to get worse. Control arms, all bushings, shocks and wheel bearings check out fine. I have read through a search on "vibrations" and see that there are some cars out there with similar symptoms but have not read any cures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One positive note..... the 20's ride way better than the 18" run flats.

i have same problem with my 06 525xi its very frustrtatingggg and the odd thing it doesnt happen everytime ive had car at dealer numerous times and cant get it resolved as a matter of fact i was driving earlier and it didi again so im going to dealer in morning so they could test drive car againnnnnnnnnn... im sick and tired. car its all original still with original wheels thats because i wont do nothing still under warranty. it really sucks
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Add me to the list.

Finally I found the thread that shows similar problem to what I'm experiencing.
Old 12-02-2008 | 03:00 PM
Members

Smile

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:38 AM
I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration, mostly in the seats. After multiple trips to the dealer, Road Force balancing, 2 new oe 18" rims, I lived with it thinking that it was the run flats. Well my wife ran the car on the freeway with a flat and blew the inner side out of a tire and ruined a rim..... I was excited because I was not only going to get rid of the run flats but for the cost of one a new oe rim and 2 new Bridgestone run flats I could go to 20's on new rims. My buddy is in the business and we ordered up a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires. I had them Road force blanced. The rims and tires came in well with in the limits..... My car still frickin vibrates and I want to scream. The suspension has been checked by the dealer on multiple times and all is good. The vibration comes and goes but what is weird is that it seems that after some small bumps or road imperfections it seems to get worse. Control arms, all bushings, shocks and wheel bearings check out fine. I have read through a search on "vibrations" and see that there are some cars out there with similar symptoms but have not read any cures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One positive note..... the 20's ride way better than the 18" run flats.

i have a 06 525xi, im experiencing same problem. i had front tires and front brakes/rotors replaced and problem still exists.
Old 12-16-2008 | 10:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Beamer930' post='736300' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:00 PM
i have a 06 525xi, im experiencing same problem. i had front tires and front brakes/rotors replaced and problem still exists.
same problem here...dealer wrote it off as all my wheels are bent....wheels are fine ...dealer is lazy
Old 12-17-2008 | 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I got a new set of M166's with Avon Azaro sports (non-runflats), had vibration in steering wheel leaving the tire place, took it back and got into the car with the mechanic - no vibration. Thought it was a fluke. Next morning, had vibration in the seat until I hit an expansion joint on a bridge, went away.. hasn't come back except once for about a 50 meters and then I hit a speed bump, and it went away again. It's been a couple of months... not sure what the hell that was all about, but I hope it doesn't come back!

Road force balanced as well. This thread frightens me

Quick Reply: Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration