E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008 | 05:54 AM
Senior Members

server error
Old 10-29-2008 | 05:54 AM
Senior Members

server error
Old 10-29-2008 | 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:38 AM
I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration, mostly in the seats. After multiple trips to the dealer, Road Force balancing, 2 new oe 18" rims, I lived with it thinking that it was the run flats. Well my wife ran the car on the freeway with a flat and blew the inner side out of a tire and ruined a rim..... I was excited because I was not only going to get rid of the run flats but for the cost of one a new oe rim and 2 new Bridgestone run flats I could go to 20's on new rims. My buddy is in the business and we ordered up a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires. I had them Road force blanced. The rims and tires came in well with in the limits..... My car still frickin vibrates and I want to scream. The suspension has been checked by the dealer on multiple times and all is good. The vibration comes and goes but what is weird is that it seems that after some small bumps or road imperfections it seems to get worse. Control arms, all bushings, shocks and wheel bearings check out fine. I have read through a search on "vibrations" and see that there are some cars out there with similar symptoms but have not read any cures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One positive note..... the 20's ride way better than the 18" run flats.
I have the exact same problem as you. Car has 59K on it, same year with sport and premium, OEM rims, Goodyear F1 GSD3 tires (much nicer ride than the runflats). I initially thought it was the balancing, but after several balancings, it most definitely is not that. I get the 'vibration' you are talking about at around the 65-72 MPH area. Usually is worse when the car is first started in the morning. I had the 'vibration' on both the Bridgestone runflats it came with and the Goodyears as well. It's been going on for probably for 18 months (since it came out of warranty!). It seems like after the car 'warms up' after about a 1/2 hour or so, the vibration is less around those speeds. And it is a strange problem because some days it vibrates (on the same roads) and some days it doesn't. When it does vibrate I can speed up and then let off the gas and coast to the speed it was vibrating at and the vibration disappears. So that leads me to believe it is not the balancing but possibly some sort of engine shudder, transmission issue, or something else. I'd be curious to know if your vibration goes away after taking your foot off the gas.
Old 10-29-2008 | 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by acribb' post='706398' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:55 PM
I have the exact same problem as you. Car has 59K on it, same year with sport and premium, OEM rims, Goodyear F1 GSD3 tires (much nicer ride than the runflats). I initially thought it was the balancing, but after several balancings, it most definitely is not that. I get the 'vibration' you are talking about at around the 65-72 MPH area. Usually is worse when the car is first started in the morning. I had the 'vibration' on both the Bridgestone runflats it came with and the Goodyears as well. It's been going on for probably for 18 months (since it came out of warranty!). It seems like after the car 'warms up' after about a 1/2 hour or so, the vibration is less around those speeds. And it is a strange problem because some days it vibrates (on the same roads) and some days it doesn't. When it does vibrate I can speed up and then let off the gas and coast to the speed it was vibrating at and the vibration disappears. So that leads me to believe it is not the balancing but possibly some sort of engine shudder, transmission issue, or something else. I'd be curious to know if your vibration goes away after taking your foot off the gas.
Could be flat spots on the tires, but I wouldn't believe in flat spots causing this after 1/2 hour!
Old 10-29-2008 | 12:33 PM
Contributors

New thought.
I recently went to one place (a Good Year Tire store) that had a Hunter Road Force machine to install and balance my new tires. The guy never calibrated his balance machine. As expected, the car vibrated.

I took the car to another place that showed me that they calibrated their Hunter 9700 machine the day before. On a rear wheel, my numbers showed that I was (-0.25 and -0.75) based on the balance that I had done by the old machine. These were well enough to explain my vibration. Both machines were the same, but the variation was great.

Make sure that the Hunter 9700 road force machine is calibrated.

I really believe that your issue is the balancing and not anything else.

Also make sure that they hand tighten the lugs at around 90 lbs. The air guns can create imbalances in themselves.

Only a really careful person knows how to get this right.

You should be going to a place that only deals with high end wheels. They know how to care for you.
Old 10-29-2008 | 12:50 PM
Contributors

i had the same prob with my car... (opps when i had my car...) it would vibrait in my pass seat... i thought it was a bent wheel.. i had my rims tightend by hand prob solved...
Old 10-31-2008 | 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='706398' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:55 AM
You did a great job of explaining the problem.... yes we have the same year car, same options and the same problems. I have been through 2 new OE wheels, countless Hunter Road Force balancing at the dealer and other places, new wheels and three stes of new tires trying to find the problem. I am 100% convinced that the problem is with the chasis. I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another BMW do to their lack of ability to find the problem. I'll play more with the gas pedal and let you know what happens.
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='708743' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:55 AM
You did a great job of explaining the problem.... yes we have the same year car, same options and the same problems. I have been through 2 new OE wheels, countless Hunter Road Force balancing at the dealer and other places, new wheels and three stes of new tires trying to find the problem. I am 100% convinced that the problem is with the chasis. I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another BMW do to their lack of ability to find the problem. I'll play more with the gas pedal and let you know what happens.
Letting off the gas pedal does not affect the vibration.
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hub centric wheels can be close to impossible to balance.

Low profile cheap tires are never a good buy,
even the OEM BMW tires brands have a hard time to get them right.

I Veni Vici a long ago

Buy new tires and wheels, it ain't cheap, but don't spoil your fine ride!!!
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='706398' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:55 AM

I have exactly the same problem as you, with the only difference that I have Stlye 167 rims with M6 offset on my 545i. Also purchased brand new rubber Vredestein on all four wheels. I have the same vibration even before I changed rims and tyres. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration