E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some Shifting Observations on 545i

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi All:

After updating to 20.01.00, I noticed some shifting anomolies via the use of my Tesla Pro RR g-meter and phyiscal observations. First, when shifting automatically, my tach always shows the shift being competed at 6.5k RPM (sometimes + a little). This observation is strange because (1) the Pro RR never shows more than about 6.2k RPM maximum and (2) the tach data are highly inconsistent with what is implied by the speeds at which my Step shifts (especially after allowing for the "standard" overstatement of our speedo readings of about 2 MPH).

Today, I came up with a new observation. grogan545i has mentioned that his step, when shifting automatically, tends to shift by about 6.35k RPM--as shown by his tach. Since his car is very fast, I decided to check some things out by shifting manually. I was astounded by what I discovered. My car no longer will shift manually at full throttle--as it did before 20.01.00. Is still shifts normally manually if not at full throttle.

At third observation, which I have mentioned before, is that I now can exceed redline when shifting maually provided that I accelerate only moderately. After hiting about 6.7k, I hit a rev limiter--which at least confirms that we have one--apparently a fail safe device for protecting the engine.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you having updated to 20+ would test the things mentioned above out on your cars and let me know what happens. I have a 20.01.00 shifting-related PUMA case going, and I would like to add as much as I can find out when talking to my service-department personnel. Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='239468' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:08 PM
Hi All:

After updating to 20.01.00, I noticed some shifting anomolies via the use of my Tesla Pro RR g-meter and phyiscal observations. First, when shifting automatically, my tach always shows the shift being competed at 6.5k RPM (sometimes + a little). This observation is strange because (1) the Pro RR never shows more than about 6.2k RPM maximum and (2) the tach data are highly inconsistent with what is implied by the speeds at which my Step shifts (especially after allowing for the "standard" overstatement of our speedo readings of about 2 MPH).

Today, I came up with a new observation. grogan545i has mentioned that his step, when shifting automatically, tends to shift by about 6.35k RPM--as shown by his tach. Since his car is very fast, I decided to check some things out by shifting manually. I was astounded by what I discovered. My car no longer will shift manually at full throttle--as it did before 20.01.00. Is still shifts normally manually if not at full throttle.

At third observation, which I have mentioned before, is that I now can exceed redline when shifting maually provided that I accelerate only moderately. After hiting about 6.7k, I hit a rev limiter--which at least confirms that we have one--apparently a fail safe device for protecting the engine.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you having updated to 20+ would test the things mentioned above out on your cars and let me know what happens. I have a 20.01.00 shifting-related PUMA case going, and I would like to add as much as I can find out when talking to my service-department personnel. Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
I don't have CIP 20.xx, but whatever my CIP is (probably 10.xx or whatever), the manual shifting lags by as much as .5 of a second. In other words, I shift and see the M" " changes, but the steptronic won't shift unless at LEAST a half second or more later. I felt like that manual option is for pulling only.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='239537' date='Feb 13 2006, 04:05 PM
I don't have CIP 20.xx, but whatever my CIP is (probably 10.xx or whatever), the manual shifting lags by as much as .5 of a second. In other words, I shift and see the M" " changes, but the steptronic won't shift unless at LEAST a half second or more later. I felt like that manual option is for pulling only.
Thanks B32. Mine used to shift properly in manual--meaning that it would shift pretty much when I wanted it to at full throttle--although slower than I would have liked. Now, when I try manual under full throttle, auto obviously overrides what I want to do and gives me the supposed 6.5k shift.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='239544' date='Feb 13 2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks B32. Mine used to shift properly in manual--meaning that it would shift pretty much when I wanted it to at full throttle--although slower than I would have liked. Now, when I try manual under full throttle, auto obviously overrides what I want to do and gives me the supposed 6.5k shift.
My car has always ignored my manual shifts at full throttle.I have had 4 different CIP updates since new and I always noticed that at full throttle it never shifts until 6500 rpm,s in manual mode.I think I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts.It is one of those frustrating quirks that I hope would be cured with a Dinan shift program.As with yours Zman it will shift manually at less than full throttle.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='239773' date='Feb 13 2006, 09:16 PM
My car has always ignored my manual shifts at full throttle.I have had 4 different CIP updates since new and I always noticed that at full throttle it never shifts until 6500 rpm,s in manual mode.I think I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts.It is one of those frustrating quirks that I hope would be cured with a Dinan shift program.As with yours Zman it will shift manually at less than full throttle.
That's interesting, g-man, mine always would shift manually when I wanted before 20.01.00. Just another one of those things that makes you go hmmmm. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Bump
Old 02-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributors

I now have noticed one more thing. Grogan545 had mentioned that his post 20.01.00 Step starts in first in D. Mine has never done that before, but now it does.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Yeh I've noticed a problem get worse...see below :thumbsdown:

Link to similar thread...
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='240636' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:14 PM
Yeh I've noticed a problem get worse...see below :thumbsdown:

Link to similar thread...
Thanks much mixterk. Sorry for the belated thanks, but this thread went into the black hole of the next page.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Just to add some differences with my 550 and the cip 20.xxx
my car in D , DS or manually at full throtle sifts pass 6.5k almost at 7k so i guess is 6.7k as znod mentioned before...have to test the shifting to a higher gear while in full throthle in manual mode but i recall it does...

Quick Reply: Some Shifting Observations on 545i