E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Solving the PDC Failure errors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006
Default Solving the PDC Failure errors

So my car started giving the PDC failure message. Spoke to BMW and they wouldn't even look at the car without charging me for a 'standard diagnostic scope'.

So I went through the normal drill.

1. Spray all PDC sensors with WD40 - nothing.
2. Check PDC control unit under the wheel well for damp - nothing.
3. Try to listen for PDC sensors making a clicking noise - nothing.
4. Luckily INPA has several options to check the PDC system. These screens showed me exactly which sensor was not reading anything. There are various screens and the one that was most useful showed each sensor in colours. These changed depending on the obstructions in front of the sensor. But it showed that only 1 rear sensor was gone, this goes against what others had written that the PDC Failure only occurs when 2 or more sensors are gone.
5. Biggest expense for me was the new sensor. Bought it brand new from BMW colour coded to my car. Ouch!
6. Only way to change the sensor was to remove the bumper.

The old sensor looked perfect in every way, yet when I replaced it the entire PDC system started working fine.
Without INPA I would have just been guessing and would have probably seen a massive bill from BMW.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

hmm. I have a sensor out but just get the "hole" in the display where that sensor shows nothing.

hopefully the whole thing won't quit working one day.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I wish there were links/video on how to use INPA. I'm a newbie to INPA
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i

Was it hard to change the sensor. I had one go out and same error message. BMW charged $378.oo to fix. Lucky still under warranty. 0 cost to me.

But mine was only one sensor causing the error, so that does show it only takes one to get to the PDC malfuntion error.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by jjp735i
Was it hard to change the sensor. I had one go out and same error message. BMW charged $378.oo to fix. Lucky still under warranty. 0 cost to me.

But mine was only one sensor causing the error, so that does show it only takes one to get to the PDC malfuntion error.
Hardest part it getting the bumper off to get to the sensor. But without INPA I would never have figured out which sensor was gone.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: E63

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
So my car started giving the PDC failure message. Spoke to BMW and they wouldn't even look at the car without charging me for a 'standard diagnostic scope'.

So I went through the normal drill.

1. Spray all PDC sensors with WD40 - nothing.
2. Check PDC control unit under the wheel well for damp - nothing.
3. Try to listen for PDC sensors making a clicking noise - nothing.
4. Luckily INPA has several options to check the PDC system. These screens showed me exactly which sensor was not reading anything. There are various screens and the one that was most useful showed each sensor in colours. These changed depending on the obstructions in front of the sensor. But it showed that only 1 rear sensor was gone, this goes against what others had written that the PDC Failure only occurs when 2 or more sensors are gone.
5. Biggest expense for me was the new sensor. Bought it brand new from BMW colour coded to my car. Ouch!
6. Only way to change the sensor was to remove the bumper.

The old sensor looked perfect in every way, yet when I replaced it the entire PDC system started working fine.
Without INPA I would have just been guessing and would have probably seen a massive bill from BMW.

With Wd-40 cleaning it worked.When i turn the ignition on , I got Pdc failure on the dashboard even I did not put in reverse or press the Pdc button.Local service told me to repair costs for 130$.Thank you for your topic 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻