E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Solved Door Seal Creak

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='428998' date='May 28 2007, 12:33 AM
I always keep my door felt seals clean and free from any cleaners / greasers / de-greasers / wax... I just clean it with water each time I wash the car and I dont get any squeeks.

Well starting last month it finally developed creaking! ARGH! I'm not sure if i want the dealer to mess with it... I guess I'll have to try to clean it and see if I can fix the problem myself before letting the dealer play with it.

Last time I had them fix the passenger side molding they scratched the B-Piller molding...
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 06/2004 Build Date

I had my door seals replaced about a month ago (had bad creaking as well). I noticed in the SIB (here) that it also mentions (for repeat complaints) the availability to add the transparent Teflon tape to the contact area of the flocking material on the body of the vehicle.

Had anyone had this added as well, and if so, did it help in the long-term? I'm thinking this would aid in preventing the squeaking but all my dealer did was replace the seals with no tape.

Thanks.
Nick
Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by oh530i' post='468479' date='Seep 11 2007, 10:54 PM
I had my door seals replaced about a month ago (had bad creaking as well). I noticed in the SIB (here) that it also mentions (for repeat complaints) the availability to add the transparent Teflon tape to the contact area of the flocking material on the body of the vehicle.

Had anyone had this added as well, and if so, did it help in the long-term? I'm thinking this would aid in preventing the squeaking but all my dealer did was replace the seals with no tape.
Thanks.
Nick
Yes, had mine done a few months ago at my dealer and this is a known BMW fix. The squeaking used to really annoy me on such a prestige car but since I've had the tape put on the door seals are completely silent. I'd definitely recommend it as long as it is stuck on neatly as my dealer did.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributors

I tried solvent that removes gum, ect.

It seems to have worked, but I think that the tape idea may be best for the long haul.

I wonder what causes the pieces of rubber (in contact) to make the crackling noise.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='468547' date='Sep 11 2007, 08:35 PM
I tried solvent that removes gum, ect.

It seems to have worked, but I think that the tape idea may be best for the long haul.

I wonder what causes the pieces of rubber (in contact) to make the crackling noise.
The car body is flexing.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Members

I had a look into this and it is as much the door moving on it's fixings as the body flexing. I have used brake cleaner in the past to fix this, but it does always seem to return.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='468500' date='Sep 11 2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, had mine done a few months ago at my dealer and this is a known BMW fix. The squeaking used to really annoy me on such a prestige car but since I've had the tape put on the door seals are completely silent. I'd definitely recommend it as long as it is stuck on neatly as my dealer did.
I just had the teflon tape added per the bulletin (seals already replaced), so time will tell if this works out for me. I'll keep you all updated.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks for your input tomv.

I solved this problem by buying a brand new E60 in '05 (well, not only that).

After that,
- no wax jobs by outsiders
- keeping wax out of the doors and especially of the door seals
- keeping the door openings clean by non-wax cleaning soaps and even solvents
- any dirt on the fabric seals I remove with a clean brush (no need of a specific brand)

No squeaks!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by oh530i' post='474037' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:47 AM
I just had the teflon tape added per the bulletin (seals already replaced), so time will tell if this works out for me. I'll keep you all updated.
I'll tell you now, that tape won't work. Been there, done that. Give a max. a month.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='474066' date='Sep 25 2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your input tomv.

I solved this problem by buying a brand new E60 in '05 (well, not only that).

After that,
- no wax jobs by outsiders
- keeping wax out of the doors and especially of the door seals
- keeping the door openings clean by non-wax cleaning soaps and even solvents
- any dirt on the fabric seals I remove with a clean brush (no need of a specific brand)

No squeaks!

Good tips, thanks! Do you know of anything I should look for in a car wash soap that is also free of wax-like elements that could attribute to this problem?

Quick Reply: Solved Door Seal Creak