E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Solved Door Seal Creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this helps someone out. I developed door seal creaking in my 2007, I thought what the heck I must have the new seals on this model, why am I creaking? I had all the symptoms, rolls down the windows and creaking stops, etc. I drove around for a few weeks getting totally aggrevated as the noise really took away from the fun of driving. Long story short, I was ready to call the dealer to have them look at it and about the same time I remembered that I had used a micro fiber cloth to clean the door jams after I did my last wash and wax. Turns out the micro fiber cloth had cleaning solution on it which left behind a residue on the flocking (the black felt stuff that runs along the top of your door). Remedy: I used P21S Total Auto wash to clean all door jams, seals and felt flocking material. I powered her up and pulled out of my driveway and she was quite as a church mouse, problem solved. Also, if you pull up the service bulletin on this topic BMW recommends 3M adhesive remover for cleaning the flocking.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Great information, that is what makes this forum work so well. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Good advice. I turned an E46 into a squeaky mess by trying to "clean" the door and window seals. Now I only use water to clean them

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by tomv' post='428454' date='May 26 2007, 12:46 AM
I hope this helps someone out. I developed door seal creaking in my 2007, I thought what the heck I must have the new seals on this model, why am I creaking? I had all the symptoms, rolls down the windows and creaking stops, etc. I drove around for a few weeks getting totally aggrevated as the noise really took away from the fun of driving. Long story short, I was ready to call the dealer to have them look at it and about the same time I remembered that I had used a micro fiber cloth to clean the door jams after I did my last wash and wax. Turns out the micro fiber cloth had cleaning solution on it which left behind a residue on the flocking (the black felt stuff that runs along the top of your door). Remedy: I used P21S Total Auto wash to clean all door jams, seals and felt flocking material. I powered her up and pulled out of my driveway and she was quite as a church mouse, problem solved. Also, if you pull up the service bulletin on this topic BMW recommends 3M adhesive remover for cleaning the flocking.
Thanks!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by tomv' post='428454' date='May 26 2007, 01:46 PM
This is good news but will it come back in a few weeks time that what happened to me cleaned it and put some leather polish on it and no nosie for 3 weeks until the 4week and it come back
so tell us in 3 to 4 weeks time if the nosie comes back.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Members

No, the creaking has not come back, I waited more than a month before posting to be sure I had the right fix. My problem was fixed by just cleaning out the residue left behind by my micro fibre cloth as posted above. No more creaking since early April. Hopefully I'm cured!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I always keep my door felt seals clean and free from any cleaners / greasers / de-greasers / wax... I just clean it with water each time I wash the car and I dont get any squeeks.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by tomv' post='428949' date='May 28 2007, 11:03 AM
No, the creaking has not come back, I waited more than a month before posting to be sure I had the right fix. My problem was fixed by just cleaning out the residue left behind by my micro fibre cloth as posted above. No more creaking since early April. Hopefully I'm cured!
thats cool I will try ti out this weekend
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by tomv' post='428454' date='May 26 2007, 01:46 AM
Had the same problem, it started at about 11000 miles and the creaking got really annoying. It not only made noise on uneven roads but also when I stepped on the gas or hit the brake. Last week I finally decided to do something about it. First I used a old toothbrush to remove dust from the flock coated strips on all 4 doors. Then, instead of buying the recommended 3M adhesive remover I used plain "Goof Off" to thoroughly clean the flock coated strips and the corresponding areas of the door frames. And miraculously the creaking is completely gone! Total silence! Now it feels again like a $70,000 car.

Even though it is probably not a permanent fix, but it sure is an easy one.

Felix
Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Felix' post='465917' date='Sep 4 2007, 10:56 PM
Had the same problem, it started at about 11000 miles and the creaking got really annoying. It not only made noise on uneven roads but also when I stepped on the gas or hit the brake. Last week I finally decided to do something about it. First I used a old toothbrush to remove dust from the flock coated strips on all 4 doors. Then, instead of buying the recommended 3M adhesive remover I used plain "Goof Off" to thoroughly clean the flock coated strips and the corresponding areas of the door frames. And miraculously the creaking is completely gone! Total silence! Now it feels again like a $70,000 car.

Even though it is probably not a permanent fix, but it sure is an easy one.

Felix
Why don't BMW use some other materials that doesn't cause the squeak. I guess if they did, it wouldn't be a BMW any more. I had mine replaced and the squeaks comes back but not as severe.

Quick Reply: Solved Door Seal Creak