E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software Wish List

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd throw out a list of little things I'd like to see in future iterations of the software that would make the experience even better:

1) Allow for CD tracks to be viewed in count-down time, rather than forward only.
2) Multiple EQ settings for different types of music
3) A changable number of radio station presets (so you could set it for the exact number of stations you frequent and have it wrap around to the next one with no dead space or repeated stations)

Other ideas? It's the little things that make life sweet....
Old 11-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I might have posted this in the past but since you brought up issues with the EQ and presets, I'll add my two cents...

The presets should be "merged" so there's no distinction between AM, FM, Sirius, etc. I should be able to make preset 1 be my favorite talk radio station on AM and preset 2 be my favorite talk radio station on FM, preset 3 be some classical music station on Sirius (if I could get Sirius, that is), etc. When you think about it, the only reason presets are "divided" as they are now is simply because "that's the way it's always been done." In the past, when radio presets were mechanical, it was the only way to do it. Now, it simply makes sense to think outside the box and merge them together.

As far as EQ settings, they need to think outside the box again but this time it's sort of the reverse of the above. EQ & L7 settings need to be divided between sources. If I want to use a concert hall effect for my CD's, that's great. When I switch to AM talk radio, I shouldn't have to turn off the concert hall settings to avoid hearing the echo of the host's voice. Let me set everything up for AM and save those settings independently from the settings I have for FM, CD, etc.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Another wish:

Using the CPT9000, when I select Communication from the main iDrive menu, it takes you to the "Active Calls" page. 99% of the time, when I go to the Communications menu, I'm trying to initiate a call from my phone directory. Why do I need to be looking at the "no calls active" screen? Instead, take me to the "Top 8" screen and, if not that one, take me to the "A-Z" screen. Since 99% of the time I'm dialing from the Top 8 screen, it makes the most sense. (Actually, the Top 8 screen should be the Top 20 screen or something bigger than 8.)

BMW, there are over 1000 E60 owner's here. If you're not tapped into this board already, you're missing out on valuable feedback!!
Old 11-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 13 2004, 10:25 AM
The presets should be "merged" so there's no distinction between AM, FM, Sirius, etc.? I should be able to make preset 1 be my favorite talk radio station on AM and preset 2 be my favorite talk radio station on FM, preset 3 be some classical music station on Sirius (if I could get Sirius, that is), etc.? When you think about it, the only reason presets are "divided" as they are now is simply because "that's the way it's always been done."? In the past, when radio presets were mechanical, it was the only way to do it.? Now, it simply makes sense to think outside the box and merge them together.

As far as EQ settings, they need to think outside the box again but this time it's sort of the reverse of the above.? EQ & L7 settings need to be divided between sources.? If I want to use a concert hall effect for my CD's, that's great.? When I switch to AM talk radio, I shouldn't have to turn off the concert hall settings to avoid hearing the echo of the host's voice.? Let me set everything up for AM and save those settings independently from the settings I have for FM, CD, etc.
[snapback]55692[/snapback]
Merging the presets would be quite cool, great idea....with one button toggle you could step from one favorite audio source to the next without the designation of AM/FM/CD/Sirius etc. The EQ could be set up the same way if you could "name" the settings I mentioned before. "Talk Radio" setting (no concert hall, perhaps a little low end to balance the AM freq); "Rock" hall, eq, whatever...very fun.

Three more things:
1) Shuffle mode, I want to randomly select a track from the 7 discs in the system.
2) Memory should be able to recall each separate track location on all the discs (if I abandon disc 4 mid way through to listen to disc 6, upon returning to disc 4 I am brought back to where I was). They should probably allow the driver to disable this in case it irriates some folks.
3) Adjustable turn signal blinks...not just three or none. Three, four or five or none.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the turn signal blink suggestion and mentioned it a while ago in Iceman's request thread.

The one problem I see with all these added features is that it will make iDrive more complicated (like the original 7) so many non-techie people will be discouraged...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Maybe it needs a simple mode, as well as a "change everything" mode. That way everyone is happy.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Good idea -- a "Power User" mode and a regular user mode (aka: AOL mode... )
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:25 AM
I might have posted this in the past but since you brought up issues with the EQ and presets, I'll add my two cents...

The presets should be "merged" so there's no distinction between AM, FM, Sirius, etc.? I should be able to make preset 1 be my favorite talk radio station on AM and preset 2 be my favorite talk radio station on FM, preset 3 be some classical music station on Sirius (if I could get Sirius, that is), etc.? When you think about it, the only reason presets are "divided" as they are now is simply because "that's the way it's always been done."? In the past, when radio presets were mechanical, it was the only way to do it.? Now, it simply makes sense to think outside the box and merge them together.
[snapback]55692[/snapback]
Rudy, with 13.3 (and maybe some earlier versions), the steering wheel button can be programmed to switch to AM, FM, WB, or CD. By leaving AM and FM on your favorite program, it is easier to quickly go to it, strongest WB, too.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 13 2004, 12:38 PM
Rudy, with 13.3 (and maybe some earlier versions), the steering wheel button can be programmed to switch to AM, FM, WB, or CD. By leaving AM and FM on your favorite program, it is easier to quickly go to it, strongest WB, too.
[snapback]55720[/snapback]
Yeah, I know about the "workarounds" that are possible and thanks for offering your advice but the better solution is still to merge the presets. If and when I ever get Sirius, it'll be even more useful to have them stored as one block.

I have other uses for my steering wheel buttons...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

This was mentioned in a previous thread. It's still a good idea.

Be able to turn off the Active Cruise Control and make it like the standard cruise control.

Also, put the all the entertainment setting in the entertainment part of the idrive. There should be no need to go to another menu to make adjustments.

Quick Reply: Software Wish List