E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

software upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, newbie here - I just bought a bmw 2005 545 and I see a lot of posts here about "upgrading software" to resolve issues. How can I found out:

- what version I currently have?
- what version upgrades are available if any and what fixes do they include?
- how to get the software upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sfbmw545' date='Feb 6 2005, 03:24 AM
[snapback]87143[/snapback]
Your dealer can tell you what software version your car currently uses and if there is an upgrade available.
Problem is, that they might not do it for free, if it's just for the fact that you want the upgrade.
So just tell your dealer about known problems (you read here on the board) and that your car has those problems... The dealer will upgrade the software under warranty.
The best thing is, to read this forum, since all updates and what they fix are discussed here.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by sfbmw545' date='Feb 5 2005, 09:24 PM
How can I found out:

Thanks!
When you take it in for service, you must request identification of the CIP version (as there are several different software modules/versions in the e60). I was also told by my SA that they will upgrade the software to the extent possible whenever the car is in for warranty service; they will also upgrade the software if you bring the car in for any recalls.

However, if you are just bringing the car in for maintenance, they will probably charge you to upgrade the software as noted by Iceman. Thus, follow Iceman's recommendation and bring the car in for warranty service complaining of the things that you know an upgrade will fix -- these things are described on various posts in this forum.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 6 2005, 02:20 AM
[quote name='sfbmw545' date='Feb 5 2005, 09:24 PM']How can I found out:

Thanks!
When you take it in for service, you must request identification of the CIP version (as there are several different software modules/versions in the e60). I was also told by my SA that they will upgrade the software to the extent possible whenever the car is in for warranty service; they will also upgrade the software if you bring the car in for any recalls.
[snapback]87183[/snapback]
[/quote]

No. Don't ask for a CIP version as that will only telll you what CIP the dealer has - not what software your car has. Ask them to print a status report. Then you will get your software version which (if you really want to) can translate back to one or several CIP versions.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:23 AM
No. Don't ask for a CIP version as that will only telll you what CIP the dealer has - not what software your car has. Ask them to print a status report. Then you will get your software version which (if you really want to) can translate back to one or several CIP versions.
[snapback]87184[/snapback]
My SA provided a status report and you will get a long list of what appear to be part numbers for many different pieces of software installed in the car (and these numbers are not meaningful, nor will you be able to cross reference them to many of the posts which discuss Version 13.3, 15.0, 15.1, etc.).

There is a well documented argument in a separate post between Urbo73 and Iceman about what is meant by these part #s. Urbo73 believes that he has conclusively figured out BMW's software version control cross reference between these part numbers and what others in this forum identify as Version 13.3, 15.0, 15.1, etc. However, I am not persuaded that his conjecture is either accurate or correct. You can review these posts and make your own conclusions.

When you ask for the CIP version number installed in your car (in response to your original question), the BMW SA will tell you (e.g., it will be 15.0, 15.1, etc.).
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

The dealers refer to CIP #'s and don't know the exact software numbers in the cars. Everything is well discussed in our forum, so you will know, by reading the forum, what a CIP release fixes and then you can decide yourself.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

only get an update if you really have to though - it seems to create more issues than fix anything.

i must say however, with v.15.2 - the menus have gotten quicker to load, as well changing radio stations, dialing numbers & entering addresses (nav) does not lag as bad anymore - however the initial boot time seems to have increased once again. but at least it does NOT lag much anymore once booted. and in 1 week, ir has not yet crashed, or frozen.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Feb 6 2005, 09:56 PM
only get an update if you really have to though - it seems to create more issues than fix anything.
[snapback]87363[/snapback]
Don't fix what aint broke!!!

Name:  ntars.gif
Views: 84
Size:  3.3 KB
Old 02-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:26 PM
[quote name='wiszmaster' date='Feb 6 2005, 09:56 PM']only get an update if you really have to though - it seems to create more issues than fix anything.
Don't fix what aint broke!!!

Attachment 5034
[snapback]87369[/snapback]
[/quote]

HAHHAHAH Yup very true...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:56 PM

i must say however, with v.15.2 - the menus have gotten quicker to load, as well changing radio stations, dialing numbers & entering addresses (nav) does not lag as bad anymore - however the initial boot time seems to have increased once again. but at least it does NOT lag much anymore once booted. and in 1 week, ir has not yet crashed, or frozen.
What do you expect when you're dealing with Microsoft Windows in a car :-) We all know that every update of Windows has more features and takes longer to start. I'm just waiting for the blue screen of death to come on while going 90mph on the freeway at 2am one of these days now.

Quick Reply: software upgrades