E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! Quick question: should I upgrade software or not? I have read some horror stories about the software upgrade to 19 plus. I don't know which software version I have currently (2005 545i build date 3/05) but everything works well and haven't had any problems with it. What are the advantages of the latest software? My main interest was to upgrade if the automatic transmission would feel quicker, although currenlty is not bad IMO. Maybe I should just wait until MP3 is available? What exactly will I get by upgrading to 19 version? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by perubmw545i' post='200762' date='Nov 19 2005, 06:02 PM
Hey guys! Quick question: should I upgrade software or not? I have read some horror stories about the software upgrade to 19 plus. I don't know which software version I have currently (2005 545i build date 3/05) but everything works well and haven't had any problems with it. What are the advantages of the latest software? My main interest was to upgrade if the automatic transmission would feel quicker, although currenlty is not bad IMO. Maybe I should just wait until MP3 is available? What exactly will I get by upgrading to 19 version? Thanks in advance.
You are smart to question the merit of upgrades. My general rule is that I don't do any kind of computer update unless it is supposed to fix a significant problem I am having or promises something I would like to have and currently do not have.

One generally can't find out what CIP verison is in his/her car. Recently, I had to have my CIP reinstalled. 19.01.01 was installed. I do think my Steptronic shifts better now, and no serious problems have resulted from the update (presumably)/installation. The only problem has been difficulty in setting my FM stations, but I persisted and will not have to do so again for a long time. Others have updated recently and have had Bluetooth pairing problems and radio reception problems. Before you do an update, you might want to find out what CIP version your dealer currently is installing and then post a topic asking about problems resulting from the installation of that version.

Others will have to advise on whether you/we will eventually will be able to get MP3. Our cars were built around the same time, and my impression is that we will not be able to get MP3--at least through a CIP update. I think you have to have a whole other software system to get MP3--e.g, Tiger rather than Panther or Windows XP versus Windows Millenium. I think we may have the BMW equivalent of Panther or Millenium. I would appreciate it if anyone could straighten me out on this issue. Among other things, I wonder if we can have the BMW equivalent of Tiger or XP installed and eventually end up with MP3.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:45 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I am a professional real time embedded software engineer. I advise you generally get the update. Software has bugs and updates may fix old bugs and have new bugs but usually it gets better and better.

I just got my software updated to CIP 19.01 (from 18.00.01 I guess) and have been happy with that, especially smoother Steptronic, which alone warrants update, and disappering lawyer screen. Smoother transmission is not officially stated in release notes. Neither is disappearing lawyer screen. Got the point?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by hmc' post='200866' date='Nov 20 2005, 01:45 AM
I am a professional real time embedded software engineer. I advise you generally get the update. Software has bugs and updates may fix old bugs and have new bugs but usually it gets better and better.

I just got my software updated to CIP 19.01 (from 18.00.01 I guess) and have been happy with that, especially smoother Steptronic, which alone warrants update, and disappering lawyer screen. Smoother transmission is not officially stated in release notes. Neither is disappearing lawyer screen. Got the point?
19.01.01 does not yield disappearing lawyer screen. And, newer software can be buggier than the last version. If its not broken, then don't fix--IMO.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:59 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200996' date='Nov 20 2005, 07:15 AM
19.01.01 does not yield disappearing lawyer screen. And, newer software can be buggier than the last version. If its not broken, then don't fix--IMO.
There is no 19.01.01. There is only 19.00, 19.01.00, 19.02.00 or 19.02.03.
See: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B611403g.htm

19.01 does yield disappearing lawyer screen on non-NAV cars (like mine).

You don't always know what's broken. Software release doesn't always including every software change. Software change may include not only bug fixes but also improvements (e.g. smoother transmission) and new features. I say this again - software usually gets better and better.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

If it ain't broke don't fix it is always a good recommendation.

Just as a reminder here is the latest list of fixs. I personally do not have any major issues so will wait for MP3 for NAV/CCC equiped cars.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B611403g.htm
Old 11-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='201042' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:44 PM
Name:  ntars.gif
Views: 47
Size:  3.3 KB
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hmc' post='201021
There is no 19.01.01. There is only 19.00, 19.01.00, 19.02.00 or 19.02.03.
See: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B611403g.htm

19.01 does yield disappearing lawyer screen on non-NAV cars (like mine).

I wish it did on mine.

I have 19.01.01, or at least, that is what my dealer says.

You don't always know what's broken.

If I am not experiencing a significant, to me, problem, then it is not broken to me.

Software release doesn't always including every software change.

Huh?

Software change may include not only bug fixes but also improvements (e.g. smoother transmission) and new features.

Yes, I am aware. Please see my post #2. In it, I said:

"My general rule is that I don't do any kind of computer update unless it is supposed to fix a significant problem I am having or promises something I would like to have and currently do not have."

In the same post, I said:

"Recently, I had to have my CIP reinstalled. 19.01.01 was installed. I do think my Steptronic shifts better now, and no serious problems have resulted from the update (presumably)/ installation. The only problem has been difficulty in setting my FM stations, but I persisted and will not have to do so again for a long time. Others have updated recently and have had Bluetooth pairing problems and radio reception problems. Before you do an update, you might want to find out what CIP version your dealer currently is installing and then post a topic asking about problems resulting from the installation of that version."

Personally, if I had lost Btooh, then I would have been happier to leave my Step shifting the way it was, which was good, and to keep my Btooth working properly.

Thus, my recommendation in the same post was:

"Before you do an update, you might want to find out what CIP version your dealer currently is installing and then post a topic asking about problems resulting from the installation of that version."

I think this recommendation is sound.[/color]

I say this again - software usually gets better and better.

I tend to agree that in many ways software gets better and better. However, that does not mean that it is a good idea for one to automatically update or acquire a major revision without first observing the consequences of doing so to others similarly positioned. And, it does not imply that one necessarily should do so unless it is supposed to fix a significant problem one is having having or promises something I would like to have and currently do not have."
[/quote]
Old 11-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='201042' date='Nov 20 2005, 12:44 PM

Just as a reminder here is the latest list of fixs. I personally do not have any major issues so will wait for MP3 for NAV/CCC equiped cars.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B611403g.htm
What CIP version do you have? I wonder where my dealer got the 19.01.01 part. Well, it doen't matter except that I'd like to know what I have. I am betting 19.01. And c'dav, can you clean this stuff up from my post #2?

"Others will have to advise on whether you/we will eventually will be able to get MP3. Our cars were built around the same time, and my impression is that we will not be able to get MP3--at least through a CIP update. I think you have to have a whole other software system to get MP3--e.g, Tiger rather than Panther or Windows XP versus Windows Millenium. I think we may have the BMW equivalent of Panther or Millenium. I would appreciate it if anyone could straighten me out on this issue. Among other things, I wonder if we can have the BMW equivalent of Tiger or XP installed and eventually end up with MP3."

You can see what car I have in my sig.