E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software Update, steering wheel now off center?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Finally after my car being at BMW for 9 days...I got it back! I had taken it in for a stuck cd in the changer, and cold start run rough issues, which they agreed a software update would take care of....which it did. Also, seems to have taken care of the tranny surges when coming to a stop. I-Drive menu's are different now....still no DRL options though
During the software update it crashed 5 times. They finally replaced a "control module" on the 6th day which they said kept causing it to crash, which I find odd.....no idea which module they replaced (haven't received my paperwork yet).
Weird thing after getting it back the steering wheel seems to be off center slightly to the right, which it wasn't like that before I dropped it off to them.
Finally my question.....do they do an alignment or are they suppose to reset the Active Steering when they do a software update?
I'm pissed too, because the tech got grease on the beige A-piliar fabric, the pull handle to shut the drivers door, drivers seat, and foot well carpet and mat

I'm going to take it back so they can clean up their mess, and also was going to bring up the steering wheel issue, but kinda wanted some feelers from you guys on that before hand.

Thanks for any help
Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='750036' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:37 PM
Finally after my car being at BMW for 9 days...I got it back! I had taken it in for a stuck cd in the changer, and cold start run rough issues, which they agreed a software update would take care of....which it did. Also, seems to have taken care of the tranny surges when coming to a stop. I-Drive menu's are different now....still no DRL options though
During the software update it crashed 5 times. They finally replaced a "control module" on the 6th day which they said kept causing it to crash, which I find odd.....no idea which module they replaced (haven't received my paperwork yet).
Weird thing after getting it back the steering wheel seems to be off center slightly to the right, which it wasn't like that before I dropped it off to them.
Finally my question.....do they do an alignment or are they suppose to reset the Active Steering when they do a software update?
I'm pissed too, because the tech got grease on the beige A-piliar fabric, the pull handle to shut the drivers door, drivers seat, and foot well carpet and mat

I'm going to take it back so they can clean up their mess, and also was going to bring up the steering wheel issue, but kinda wanted some feelers from you guys on that before hand.

Thanks for any help
yup, that's it. they're supposed to reset the active steering after an update. looks like they didn't.

-f
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

They just need to reset the active steering. Its a 20 min job. When I had the battery replaced they didnt reset it and I noticed it being off right when I drove off the lot. I turned around and they fixed it in 20 mins.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Good...I was hoping it would be something that simple.......I picked it up right when they were closing on Friday...so it was dark on the trip home. Haven't driven it in the daytime until today.....and I noticed right away the steering wheel was off, and also the grease spots.
Does not resetting the AS cause it to respond sluggish...or am I just still use to the 328 loaner I had for 9 days? Also,are there other things they should of reset after the update?
Thanks again for the quick replys
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Are you guys serious? Is it true that they have to reset the active steering whenever they change the battery? Is changing the battery no longer a DIY? Would an independent shop know about this? This is crazy...
Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='750100' date='Dec 21 2008, 06:53 PM
Are you guys serious? Is it true that they have to reset the active steering whenever they change the battery? Is changing the battery no longer a DIY? Would an independent shop know about this? This is crazy...
Yes. Yes. Could still be. Probably not. I agree...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='750100' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:53 PM

Haha ya I'm serious... All I know is the dealer replaced the battery and when I went to pick it up my steering was off center. I took it back and they were able to reset the Active Steering and re-center it. It wasnt an alignment... just a active steering reset.

Makes sense... no battery things need to be reset.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='750078' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:16 PM
Good...I was hoping it would be something that simple.......I picked it up right when they were closing on Friday...so it was dark on the trip home. Haven't driven it in the daytime until today.....and I noticed right away the steering wheel was off, and also the grease spots.
Does not resetting the AS cause it to respond sluggish...or am I just still use to the 328 loaner I had for 9 days? Also,are there other things they should of reset after the update?
Thanks again for the quick replys
I dont think not resetting the AS would cause it to be sluggish... you might still be use to the 328 thats all...

Nothing else needs to be reset as far as a I can recall or know about... =)
Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Contributors

Amazing topic, the same exact thing happened to me 2 days ago. I took my car in to have the bluetooth activated (success!) and to activate DRL. They found other issues, a $300 job turns into a $900+ job...blah, blah.

Anyhow, when I get back into my car I notice that the steering wheel is tilted to the right. I didn't have time to let them correct this, I have an appointment for next Wednesday. Interesting part about this circumstance is that the service advisor immediately tried to attribute this to the last alignment I had done (not with BMW).

Now that I have read this, I am going to print it and bring it as an ace card if he tried to talk me into a $300 alignment.

And about the battery, I was told by an independent BMW repair shop that the car needs to be registered with the serial number of the replacement battery... so it is not technically a DIY.

BMW = No User Serviceable Components Inside... apparently.

Between this car, my Blackberry, and Apple computer I feel like I am losing complete control over my belongings.

It's fun to imagine that you can get past proprietary service procedures, but who has the time/energy to keep up?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='750304' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:59 AM
Interesting part about this circumstance is that the service advisor immediately tried to attribute this to the last alignment I had done (not with BMW).
That is because a lot of the service advisors are unaware that the Active Steering needs to be reset after an update or battery replacement. First thing my advisor asked was are you sure it wasn't like this when you brought it in and I was like OF COURSE I'M SURE! Ok I didnt yell... but I told him I was sure. Luckily I knew about the reset so I told him the technicians just need to hook it back up the their computer and do a simple reset.

The port which the computer hooks into is right next to the Hood release. If you look in front of the hood release area you'll see a small door flap. Open it and you'll see the connector port. It might be on the "passenger side" for right hand drive cars.

Quick Reply: Software Update, steering wheel now off center?