E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

software glitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 04:09 PM
Contributors

Did you know I Drive can predict the future? Driving home two nights ago the computer said I had a flat tire. When I pulled into my garage all the tires were fine, no low pressure. The next morning I went to BMW and told them that I drive predicted I will have a flat. So I asked them if they could program the computer to predict the stock market. All kidding aside I dont have run flats, when the flat tire warning comes on its disconcerting. I asked the technician if the sensors detect low pressure and he said no. He reset the computer. I hope this doest become a recurring problem. Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 04-21-2005 | 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by surgeon' date='Apr 21 2005, 04:09 PM
Did you know I Drive can predict the future? Driving home two nights ago the computer said I had a flat tire. When I pulled into my garage all the tires were fine, no low pressure. The next morning I went to BMW and told them that I drive predicted I will have a flat. So I asked them if they could program the computer to predict the stock market. All kidding aside I dont have run flats, when the flat tire warning comes on its disconcerting. I asked the technician if the sensors detect low pressure and he said no. He reset the computer. I hope this doest become a recurring problem. Anyone have a similar experience?
[snapback]118327[/snapback]
FTM on the E60 picks up variances in pressure between tires from the time the system was initialized. So I would suggest that once you have your tires at the pressure you want initialize FTM. Then future warnings could be detecting a slow leak.

If All tires loose pressure equally, FTM is clueless.
Old 04-21-2005 | 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Recommendation: Invest in a good/accurate tire gauge. Keeping proper pressure is the key for good performance of both the car and tire life. Most tire/wheel combos will loose pressure over time. The fact that out FTM measures "relative" (comparing one against the others) means that they all could go down equally and the alarm would never go off (well maybe not never - but at considerably low pressure (as noted ny Hormazd). I check no less than every 30 days and find I have to adjust 1-3 psi each time with just a little variance amongst the four. I have managed to squeeze out excellent mileage on good and mediocre tires on many cars by following this technique. I rely on the FTM only to tell me of an unexpected condition (hopefully it will work as advertised) but rely on my trusty gauge for all else