E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software, fuel pump and relay problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sorry guys I have not been around for a while. With the return of my laptop came the return of our Soldiers from Iraq. A lot of work involved in their return but happy to do it. On to my problems. With the update of my software to V 15.1 (I think that was the one that started the problems) they lost the Bluetooth option. Finally they got it to show up on the iDrive and then doing the pairing was easy with my Mot Razr. The next problem they have been trying to work on was RDS, TMC. During that time iDrive would freeze and a number of other software problems happened. One strange item. I stopped at an intersection to enter on to a Priority Road. Right after taking my foot off the brake but before making it to the gas pedal it felt like I was rear-ended. There was a loud clunk followed by my reaction of hitting the brake. My head hit the headrest as if I had been hit. Nope, no body in sight to my rear. I can only remember seeing the RPM jump just before the loud clunk. (Days of the Audi 5000/100 again?) One fine cold morning (about 20 degrees F) I tried to start the car (car was in the garage) after the third attempt the engine caught and it ran fine. I drove to work and then called the dealer when they opened to tell them the problem and that the car would be there that afternoon. They kept the car but could not replicate the problem. (The temperature was over 37 degrees F when they had the car this time.) The next morning it took 6 times to start the car. Again the car went out to the dealer this time to wait for the next morning for them to try and start it. It would not start! The pushed the car inside and found that the fuel pump was broken. They replaced the pump and the car would start. (Yes, the car was inside and warm). They decided to keep the car over night again to check if it would start cold (outside). Nope, it did not start the next day. This time they replaced some relays (that is what I was told after the translation) The next day around noon I picked up the car drove it to another town for a meeting. After the meeting it took 2 times to start the car. I started home entered Autobahn 3 toward Wuerzburg got about 1 k from the on ramp and it started to loose power. (Yup, just like no gas.) I coasted to the side (I could not use BMW assist since they have not gotten that working yet.) called the dealer on my still working cell phone. The sent a truck with a car to give to me and haul my 545 back to the dealership. Now they think it is the second pump and valve that is causing the problem! To much fun!!! So far my 1992 960 Volvo with 144K miles is more dependable on a daily basis.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributors

I don't understand how you have a phone, RDS, TMC and BMW Assist working in a US Spec car in Europe??? I guess you said all these things are not working but it sounds like they were working at some point. Did you talk your dealer into installing the German software on a US car or something? Can you please explain?

Oh yea - sorry to hear about the gremlins
Old 02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:27 PM
I don't understand how you have a phone, RDS, TMC and BMW Assist working in a US Spec car in Europe???? I guess you said all these things are not working but it sounds like they were working at some point.? Did you talk your dealer into installing the German software on a US car or something?? Can you please explain?
[snapback]90971[/snapback]
It looks like they installed the wrong software from what he explians, doesn't it?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Re: One strange item. I stopped at an intersection to enter on to a Priority Road. Right after taking my foot off the brake but before making it to the gas pedal it felt like I was rear-ended. There was a loud clunk followed by my reaction of hitting the brake. My head hit the headrest as if I had been hit. Nope, no body in sight to my rear. I can only remember seeing the RPM jump just before the loud clunk.
-----------

This happened to me once on a ramp to the freeway. I was sort of creeping up to the meter light and I'd swear I'd been rear ended, but the guy behind me was too far back for that to be the case. It has not happened since. Did anyone ever get an explanation for this or have it happen more than once?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 16 2005, 11:44 PM
[quote name='ULtraPLanet' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:27 PM']I don't understand how you have a phone, RDS, TMC and BMW Assist working in a US Spec car in Europe???? I guess you said all these things are not working but it sounds like they were working at some point.? Did you talk your dealer into installing the German software on a US car or something?? Can you please explain?
[snapback]90971[/snapback]
It looks like they installed the wrong software from what he explians, doesn't it?
[snapback]91009[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am not quite sure at one point when they were updating from 14 something to 15 something they lost the bluetooth then during the next several visits things appeared and disappeared. So, I asked if they could get them back. Now they have this fuel problem, the iDrive freeze and a few other problems. I spoke with the dearler a moment ago and he said it was the second fuel pump and it's backflow valve that broke this time. The head mechanic is working on the problem with Munich. I spoke with him last night and was quite impressed with his intensity and his embarrasment over the car's problem. Still, it should not happen on a new car like this. Rob, I hope I answered your question. Iceman thanks for the steady hand trying to read between the lines with us when we are writing out of frustration.

John