E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software Crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

I think I have read somewhere that the software used is based on the Windows operating system. If the system crashed what would be the effect on the cars operation?

The car would still be driveable........or would it?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 68pawm' date='Sep 1 2005, 05:46 PM
I think I have read somewhere that the software used is based on the Windows operating system. If the system crashed what would be the effect on the cars operation?

[snapback]166071[/snapback]
The car will be fine. Once in a while, the Central Information Display (CID) that shows all the iDrive screens will go blank and the system will reboot. While that's happening, the car drives fine, you just can't use iDrive to do things like adjust the radio, navigation, etc. until it comes back up. It doesn't happen often and when it does, it's no big deal...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 1 2005, 05:12 PM
[quote name='68pawm' date='Sep 1 2005, 05:46 PM']I think I have read somewhere that the software used is based on the Windows operating system. If the system crashed what would be the effect on the cars operation?

[snapback]166071[/snapback]
The car will be fine. Once in a while, the Central Information Display (CID) that shows all the iDrive screens will go blank and the system will reboot. While that's happening, the car drives fine, you just can't use iDrive to do things like adjust the radio, navigation, etc. until it comes back up. It doesn't happen often and when it does, it's no big deal...
[snapback]166076[/snapback]
[/quote]
Windows? My gosh!!! And I have to reboot my laptop everyday!!! Security issues, poor programming, etc. I think not. Idrive may be programmed in C or C++ but God forbid, not based on Windows OS.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Contributors

It's worse than that - it's Windows CE.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Sep 2 2005, 12:35 AM
It's worse than that - it's Windows CE.
[snapback]166163[/snapback]
Maybe we need some linux geeks to build us an opensource idrive with extra features: I'd buy it!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

As I understand, it's only he user interface that is CE. Rest of the car has "normal" automotive computers & software.
I'wouldn't think of the consequences if everything was Windows;

The car would throw you out at random occasions
The windshield would turn blue once a day
It would take 3 minutes to start the car
The car would crash 15 times a week
After inserting the key, you would get a "new hardware" message
A refuel would be the same as a complete format
etc...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Senior Members

AFAIK the iDrive in the fiver is NOT Windows nor Windows CE.. Rather some Java application. I think there have been several threads about this previously.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Think we are mixing up here:
OS is "Windows CE Automotive". Programming tool is Java. See this press release from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...automotive.mspx

There are plans to exchange the CE-platform to a Linux platform
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Well.. That's about the E65, which I belive runs another system..

Hm, ok.. according to this thread it runs "Windows CE Automotive".
Old 09-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

According to a contact in Munich - the E60 runs 7 different OSs on 70 different computer systems.

I too am still a little confused by the recent article here:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArt...s/J2ME/TLA.html

That includes this diagram, which clearly depicts the stack. The graphics stack appears to be separate from VxWorks (it's beside it) but the bottom line is that it appears that VxWorks is the OS being used by the services the JVM is frontending. If I'm to interpret this diagram as I have others, this would also mean that the JVM is being run on VxWorks.

P.S. VxWorks went to Mars on the Mars Rover. It is also touted as having advanced memory protection, so the chance of complete system failure from faulty code is remote.
Attached Thumbnails Software Crash-stack.jpg  

Quick Reply: Software Crash