E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software 16.2: Perspective has no names?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 03:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!!

Always a pleasure visiting here to this site for all the latest info, ideas, and issues regarding our beloved e60. Just wondering, the new software 16.2 now has the perspective option of seeing 3D view (with slowly moving clouds... kind of funny), and without using navigation, seems like having that mode on the screen is really useless... would they eventually put names on those roads?

Another idea is having the mapping in night time mode for night driving... seems a bit bright when looking at the map during night time driving... maybe based on the time of day, they would change color of the sky and map depending on the time of day... just an idea....

Third... I heard there was a lot of issues regarding updating the 16.2 software.... I heard some dealers are having trouble upgrading into these cars and have taken about 3 days to upgrade... did they have to change the TCU? just curious...

thanks again!!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' date='Apr 30 2005, 06:35 AM
Hi everyone!!

Always a pleasure visiting here to this site for all the latest info, ideas, and issues regarding our beloved e60.? Just wondering, the new software 16.2 now has the perspective option of seeing 3D view (with slowly moving clouds... kind of funny), and without using navigation, seems like having that mode on the screen is really useless... would they eventually put names on those roads?

Another idea is having the mapping in night time mode for night driving... seems a bit bright when looking at the map during night time driving... maybe based on the time of day, they would change color of the sky and map depending on the time of day...? just an idea....

Third... I heard there was a lot of issues regarding updating the 16.2 software....? I heard some dealers are having trouble upgrading into these cars and have taken about 3 days to upgrade... did they have to change the TCU? just curious...

thanks again!!
[snapback]122190[/snapback]
I just had mine up graded 16.2 and they had to put in a new TCU UNIT.Now everything is great IMO big improvement.The only thing is I lost my BMW Assist so I have to go back in to have it corrected.
cheers
vern
Old 04-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vern' date='Apr 30 2005, 07:42 AM
[quote name='Almighty JungleBoy' date='Apr 30 2005, 06:35 AM']Hi everyone!!

Always a pleasure visiting here to this site for all the latest info, ideas, and issues regarding our beloved e60.? Just wondering, the new software 16.2 now has the perspective option of seeing 3D view (with slowly moving clouds... kind of funny), and without using navigation, seems like having that mode on the screen is really useless... would they eventually put names on those roads?

Another idea is having the mapping in night time mode for night driving... seems a bit bright when looking at the map during night time driving... maybe based on the time of day, they would change color of the sky and map depending on the time of day...? just an idea....

Third... I heard there was a lot of issues regarding updating the 16.2 software....? I heard some dealers are having trouble upgrading into these cars and have taken about 3 days to upgrade... did they have to change the TCU? just curious...

thanks again!!
I just had mine up graded 16.2 and they had to put in a new TCU UNIT.Now everything is great IMO big improvement.The only thing is I lost my BMW Assist so I have to go back in to have it corrected.
cheers
vern
[snapback]122207[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have to upgrade mine to 16.2. What is the TCU unit?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

TCU = Telematics Contol Unit

Just about everything related to communications is connected to it.

Check this out to see what I'm talking about:
SBT__E60___US_car_phone_system_overview.pdf
Old 04-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 30 2005, 08:42 AM
TCU = Telematics Contol Unit

Just about everything related to communications is connected to it.

Check this out to see what I'm talking about:
Attachment 7141
[snapback]122219[/snapback]
Thank you !

I wonder if this will apply to my car? I have no phone and I have a Euroepan car. Than I have the CCC-unit, not the MASK.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Do you have pro nav? If so, you have CCC...
Old 04-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 30 2005, 09:13 AM
Do you have pro nav?? If so, you have CCC...
[snapback]122232[/snapback]
Yes, I have Nav Pro and thus the CCC-unit.
In that case, does the TCU-unit apply to my configuration?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' date='Apr 30 2005, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone!!

thanks again!!
16.2 has been known to blow out TCUs. My dealer has reverted to 16.1 and I have all the E60 enhancements.

Perspective is usefull if you have absolutely no sense of direction. My wife says she understands her route better when using it. Perspective and arrow display together make a great guidance combo. The street names are still available in the 2d maps and can be easiliy toggled too.

I agree about the background. It should go a dark grey when our lights are turned on. Ofcourse with our luck that will be in broad daylight but that is how it should work.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by vern' date='Apr 30 2005, 06:42 AM
[quote name='Almighty JungleBoy' date='Apr 30 2005, 06:35 AM']Hi everyone!!

thanks again!!
cheers
vern
[snapback]122207[/snapback]
[/quote]
I lost mine too. It could no longer transmit data or location. I thought it would be a big deal but my visit to the dealer lasted 30 minutes in total. I spent the time in the showroom looking at at the new 3.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Members

Thanks everyone!!

By the way, the dealer mentioned that the software 16.2 screwed up about 3-4 cars that were being upgraded.... took them until the third day that I was able to receive my car back... did they have to change TCU? they didn't tell me anything... just gave me the key and everything is up and running...
How do I check if my TCU is a new one? thanks!!

Quick Reply: Software 16.2: Perspective has no names?