E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Soft "clunk" sound when shift into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I noticed today when backing into my space at work a soft clunking sound when shifting my 2010 550i into reverse. It's not a loud sound at all, and is halfway between a click and a clunk (sorry can't be more specific).

Did a search and didn't find anything...wondering if anyone else has heard this sound and whether I should be concerned about something mechanical?

I have a sport auto transmission that I exclusively use in manual mode, and only about 5K miles on my car.

Thanks in advance.

-TA
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Can it be repeated again or was it a one time deal?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

its just the slack in the driveshaft/axle when going from forward to reverse.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just noticed it this morning, so I'll pay attention to see if it can be replicated.

Turboawd, from your response, it sounds as though you've heard this before with your car?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Members

I've heard the same noisy when reversing also, so my guess is what Turboawd said.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Taylor
Thanks for the replies, guys. I just noticed it this morning, so I'll pay attention to see if it can be replicated.

Turboawd, from your response, it sounds as though you've heard this before with your car?
every rear wheel drive car has some drivetrain backlash to a degree. if it gets louder than normal or occurs frequently, then you might want to inspect the driveshaft, u-joints, etc.

also, if you put your car in reverse when the engine is cold and reving higher, you're more likely to hear a clunk.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
every rear wheel drive car has some drivetrain backlash to a degree. if it gets louder than normal or occurs frequently, then you might want to inspect the driveshaft, u-joints, etc.

also, if you put your car in reverse when the engine is cold and reving higher, you're more likely to hear a clunk.
Thanks! I'll pay more attention to it, but you've put my mind at ease.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

5K miles? Probably just break-in. I would assume nothing worrisome. Could be metal to metal contact with new lubrication.as the components wear and get used to the oils used things should quiet down. Do you not hear this sound when you go from drive to park?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

Same thing happens to me some times, I consider it normal. I usually shift from D to N (wait a second) then R to avoid this from happening. Not sure if this in a option for you though, as you have the sport auto tranny.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
5K miles? Probably just break-in. I would assume nothing worrisome. Could be metal to metal contact with new lubrication.as the components wear and get used to the oils used things should quiet down. Do you not hear this sound when you go from drive to park?
Drove my E39 to work today, so didn't have a chance to check. I'll listen more carefully in shifting from drive to park to see if I hear something similar. I am heartened, though, by the fact that this seems to be a common experience. Thanks for all of the replies.

Quick Reply: Soft "clunk" sound when shift into reverse