E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Soft Close

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great feature. I experienced it on a loaner 7. Here is how it would benefit me in the real world:

1) My kids often don't close the door fully when they get in - a forgivable offense when you only weigh 60 lbs and your arms are only 2 feet long. I wouldn't miss seeing the door ajar light come on as I leave the curb, then having to pull over and get them to reclose.

2) My wife that somehow believes the door won't close unless it is slammed hard enought to rock the whole car.......actually ideally it would prevent slamming kind of like those kitchen drawers that you can't slam but close everytime.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='547898' date='Mar 20 2008, 04:18 AM
Sorry to disagree with some BUT, It's a great feature to have on a car ! My X5 has a soft close rear hatch and it eliminates the need to slam it shut. On cars I'll bet if you look closely to many of your doors there is a "dent" which surrounds your door handle.
Cheers
No there isn't. I use the recess inside the bootlid which is there for that purpose.

Regards
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss
Talking

Originally Posted by studavis' post='547707' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:49 PM
... What could possibily be next, auto assist exit? ... Auto retracting cup holders?
Actually, that's been around for some time. My Chrysler 300M Special (all 300Ms for that matter) had Easy Exit drivers seat. If the seat's not all the way back (which mine always was), when you pull the key out or release the seatbelt (whichever you did first), the seat would automatically move back (up to 2 inches.) When you locked it, it would return to the normal position. When you unlocked it (both with the fob programmed to the driver memory), it would slide back again until you put the key in or pulled the seatbelt, at which time it would slide forward to your normal driving position. I loved that feature, even though I didn't use it.

Cadillac has had soft-close doors (and trunk) since the '70s. Don't know if they still employ it. Concerning the "auto-retracting cupholders," the Lexus RX has a counterweight system (I think) that they use in the center console that you press a button and the doors flip open; press the other button and they flip closed, revealing/concealing the cupholders.

Besides, though, the 5 has exit assist. The steering wheel moves up (and away?) when you take the key out. And when you open the doors, the side bolsters release (on the multi-contour seats.)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='547928' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:20 AM
... a forgivable offense when you only weigh 60 lbs and your arms are only 2 feet long. ...
Your kids have arms 2 feet long?? What do you have, monkeys? That, or you guys are a REALLY tall family.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='548057' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:22 AM
Actually, that's been around for some time. My Chrysler 300M Special (all 300Ms for that matter) had Easy Exit drivers seat. If the seat's not all the way back (which mine always was), when you pull the key out or release the seatbelt (whichever you did first), the seat would automatically move back (up to 2 inches.) When you locked it, it would return to the normal position. When you unlocked it (both with the fob programmed to the driver memory), it would slide back again until you put the key in or pulled the seatbelt, at which time it would slide forward to your normal driving position. I loved that feature, even though I didn't use it.

Cadillac has had soft-close doors (and trunk) since the '70s. Don't know if they still employ it. Concerning the "auto-retracting cupholders," the Lexus RX has a counterweight system (I think) that they use in the center console that you press a button and the doors flip open; press the other button and they flip closed, revealing/concealing the cupholders.
M-B has a feature that moves the seat back for "easy exit" but any time I've used it, I feel it makes it harder to get out of the car...

I remember Cadillac having the power pull-down on the trunk for many years but I don't recall them having any sort of soft closing doors back in the 70's... Are you sure they had that on the doors?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='548059' date='Mar 20 2008, 07:25 AM
Your kids have arms 2 feet long?? What do you have, monkeys? That, or you guys are a REALLY tall family.
Sorry, I meant my trunk monkey has 2 ft arms. The kids are appropriately proportioned.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='548100' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:43 AM
...Are you sure they had that on the doors?
100%
My aunt and uncle had a '79 (maybe '80) Brougham. I remember my cousins and I used to open and close the doors just to watch them seal. That car was loaded to the nines. It had the auto-dimming headlights, cruise, etc. Even had the built-in air compressor for inflating the tires automatically (or at least the spare.) Didn't have leather, though.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

man the ultimate reason why i want this is when i have friends who hop in my car and close the door after them. they think the door is for a bank vault where u have to slam the car door sooooooo hard just to get it closed. much like Westcoast M5's wifey hehe. i'm still upset NA owners got shafted.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='548023' date='Mar 20 2008, 07:20 AM
No there isn't. I use the recess inside the bootlid which is there for that purpose.

Regards
Smarty Pants !! I was talking about car doors ............. not our X5 "Boots"
Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='548137' date='Mar 20 2008, 01:03 PM
100%
My aunt and uncle had a '79 (maybe '80) Brougham. I remember my cousins and I used to open and close the doors just to watch them seal. That car was loaded to the nines. It had the auto-dimming headlights, cruise, etc. Even had the built-in air compressor for inflating the tires automatically (or at least the spare.) Didn't have leather, though.
I see -- my fairly extensive Cadillac experience ended with a 1978 Fleetwood Brougham (but dates back into the sixties...) Up until that time, we always had a loaded Fleetwood and I didn't recall the doors ever having a soft close feature which is why I wondered which model you saw it on.

After the '78 Fleetwood, we "graduated" to an 1980 450SEL and have been buying German cars ever since...

Just for fun, the oldest car I've ever seen with a soft close door feature was a 1966 Mercedes 600 limousine. (The latches, as well as most of the car's systems, were hydraulic.) I'm betting that the soft close technology appeared on that car as early as 1963 or 1964 when the car was first introduced.

Quick Reply: Soft Close