E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So my car's going back to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
acording to my boy whos a tech for bmw he said there was an x5 in the shop for its 3rd transmission. they arent new replacements either. he said they replace them with salvaged ones used ones....
They might do that to save some money for the customer whose BMW isn't covered under warranty but IMHO that is NOT a standard BMW Service Standard. They do, based on my personal experience (2 transmission replacements on two previous 740s) install BMW "remanufactured" transmissions.

That said, it's not at all unusual for private independent garages to use transmissions from salvage vehicles. And, from some work orders I've seen personally, they charged customers about the same price they would have paid to get an original BMW re-manufactured transmission that comes with warranty!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The dealer has opened a PUMA case to try to get my transmission replaced. Who knows when I'll get my car back, but hey, s long as it works
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca
The dealer has opened a PUMA case to try to get my transmission replaced. Who knows when I'll get my car back, but hey, s long as it works
Hey if they opened a PUMA case there is a really good chance you're getting a new tranny
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Members

acording to my boy whos a tech for bmw he said there was an x5 in the shop for its 3rd transmission. they arent new replacements either. he said they replace them with salvaged ones used ones....
Not true. They install factory remanufactured units and give you a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Members

HAHAHA thanks Marc, yeah, I made sure it's noted and I keep all my paperwork so I have the history of all the times I've had minor tranny slam before. So really no way they can tell me I never reported it before.
can you explain the tranny slam you were getting before this happened?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

did u have to get a rental car for now?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Hang in there!

And like the previous poster says, hope you got a car in the meantime
Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by south87
can you explain the tranny slam you were getting before this happened?
The transmission would sometimes make the car jerk a little during shifting, it was always more pronounced when I was in DS mode.

did u have to get a rental car for now?
No, they offered me a loaner, and I still might use it. However, since my wife was put on early maternity leave I told the dealer I don't need it since I can use her car in the meantime.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Hang in there!

And like the previous poster says, hope you got a car in the meantime
Thanks Vladdy, yeah, I don't mind so much. I figure I was lucky it happened now instead of later since the warranty expires in 3 weeks. Going to have them check the car out thoroughly before they give it back to me, take care of all maintenance and such since I have maintenance warranty too, might as well
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' E46 325i Sold 05' E60 53oi Sold (tranny issues) 08' E92 328i coupe 6spd MT (Current ride)

Wow I got the same problem I told the dealership but they can't reproduce the problem I get that jump when the tras shifts from 2-3 especially in cold weather and sometimes after a longs day drive... I've told my SA and they documented it but nothing .. Hopefuy I get some info on that problem as my car is currently at the dealership ... The downside is that my CPO expires on the 27th of this month =/

But hey good luck on ur replacement and put some miles on that loaner lol they got me on a 335d
Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

So, I am on my way home from work today. Right near my house I am at the light and it turns green. I am driving in DS mode and not stomping on it, the car missed a gear and the revs jump. I'm sitting there coasting with a Dodge pickup bearing down on me. I got off the gas let the revs drop, shift to D mode and it finds a gear. I called the dealer soon as I got home because I have had some tranny slam before, not much and rarely, but noticeable.

Any ideas? I can't understand how an automatic misses a shift

The good news? I got about a month left on my CPO warranty
Yikes. Get that sucker in ASAP before the warranty expires.

Quick Reply: So my car's going back to the dealer