E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So many issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all

I don't want to be a whiner or anything but I just have so many issues that I do not know what to do anymore. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise on how lemons are dealt with in Europe (or to be more precise Belgium).

If you are wondering what kind of issues I am talking about, here is the list:

Software problems:
- After restarting the car my CD returns to track 1 -> fixed by software update
- After restarting the car the wrong CD number is displayed (eg. CD5 in stead of CD 4) -> fixed by software update
- I-Drive controller not always responding to a request (sometimes I have to move the controller several times to a direction until it responds to my request) -> Still an issue
- Navigation system saying an incorrect instruction -> fixed by software update
- After changing the front CD, the new CD isn't detected -> Still an issue
- After reloading the CD Changer, the new CD's aren't detected -> Still an issue
- When switching audio sources I get an impossible value/label in the status bar that says 630 Mhz -> Fixed by software update
- When turning the radio/CD off, the CD continues to play -> Resolved by software update
- When starting the car when the radio/CD was turned off before, it will start to play again automatically.
- Force feedback of the I-Drive controller works incorrect -> Try to change the country when entering a new destination in your nav system and you will know what I am talking about -> Software update + replacement of controller twice -> Still an issue
- After starting the car I got a message saying that the anti-trap function didn't work for some unexplained reason -> Only happened once
- I-Drive hangs from time to time -> Still an issue
- I-Drive doesn't boot up after starting the car in the morning -> Still an issue
- The Nav system forgets to say some words from time to time -> Still an issue
- My nav system once told me to make a U-Turn at least 50 times in just a couple of minutes! -> Only happened once
- No function to search an address by postal code, this functionality was even available in my previous car! (a 2002 330Cic)
- Lightsensor way to sensitive -> Still an issue
- Rainsensor not always working correctly
- RDS information not always displayed correctly
- TMC not always working
- After starting the car I was once unable to un-mute the CD that was playing, radio worked fine
- Auto tranny not able to hold the car without going backwards when trying to take off from a ramp.
- When accelerating from a stand still by flooring the pedal the auto tranny hesitates for a second before taking off.
- When driving up a ramp the auto tranny will switch between several gears (while it should stay in the same gear) -> Still an issue
- When driving down a ramp the auto tranny will also switch gears while you expect it to keep the same gear and will launch the car down in stead of slowing it down -> Still an issue
- When using the sporty drive style, and breaking hard I get the feeling like my brakes are not working, this problem is caused by the fact that the auto tranny doesn't disengage the gear when lifting off your foot of the gas pedal, causing the car to try to still go forward (even when you try to break really hard), IMHO I find this a very disturbing safety issue -> Still an issue
- PDC so far told me that I had still 0.5m left when I was in fact only a couple of centimers away from the obstruction, result I once bounced my back bumper to a wall, and once to another car!
- When turning the screen off it stays illuminated
- When the screen is off the status bar will appear from time to time for a couple of seconds.
- When starting the car between 11 and 12 at night, the status bar where the time is displayed will show something like --:15 in stead of 23:15
- The right screen of the I-drive (split screen) will revert to another view from time to time after restarting the car.
- After shuting down the car I can still hear the music playing (even when I turned off the radio before shuting down the car) although it is playing really quite.

Mechanical problems:
- Cup holder doesn't always come out -> Fixed by replacing the cup holder
- New cup holder isn't able to store a standard 0.33cl can of Coke (I messed up the enteriour of my car by having an open Coke in it, really nice!) -> Still an issue
- Windshield whipers making a lot of noice from time to time
- When the engine is running stationary you can feal it shake throught the entire car, dealer updated the motor software and told me it was resolved but I feel it shaking still as bad as before.

Rattles & Squeeks:
- Rattle coming from the back seat -> Still an issue (after dealer claimed to have fixed it twice)
- Squeeking noice coming from driver's seat -> Currently resolved after dealer tried to fix it 3 times
- Rattle coming from driver's headrest -> Still an issue (my dealer finally replaced all mechanical parts of my seat which resolved the problem from nearly 1 week!)
- Squeeking noice coming from passenger's seat -> Still an issue (dealer tried to resolve it 1x but no success)
- Armrest starting to rattle as well
- Rattles coming from the dashboard

Others:
- When closing the car after driving it the car starts to make really strange noices -> Still an issue
- FM radio reception still very poor

I think that's about it (finally) as said before I really like the car for it looks and road feel but I am soooo fed up with all the issues that I have that I want to get rid of it ASAP. If anyone can give me some advise about what to do I would really appreciate it!

btw, it feels good to rant from time to time (I just hoped that I didn't scare anyone away with this huge list of issues).
Old 09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.
Question

Wow... and I thought I had problems!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Ouch! that's a lot of issues, but it seems that somehow most of your problems are software related. Maybe if they would just replace the iDrive computer from the top down you might have eliminated most issues. What I mean is to replace not just the software, but the entire computer and it's processor and drives.

It sounds like that would provide a completely new system to run the software and you could be in better condition to resolve all the little problems.

The other things like seat squeaks and other noises are more normal things that should be solvable with good technicians and time.

Good luck, and maybe some angry pressure would help the dealer to resolve it. Did you try going to a different dealer to get other opinions and solutions?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

This is indeed a comprehensive list for all E60 owners to check. After running down the list, my E60 has also shared most of the problems. But I just forgive my car because it is too enjoyable to drive. Fortunately, the problems do not render the car non-driveable, although some pleasure might be shaven off. Just concentrate on whats good and tolerates towards the whats bad and you will enjoy the car every minute.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just forgive my car because it is too enjoyable to drive
I hear this zillion times. However, it still have very basic and unforgivable problem: CD player. It must be correctly function. Not hopping around like it wants to.

Sorry to see too many problems with you Johan, but we still have to live with it because we love the BMW handling. That's the price we pay for.
I have the following problems similar to yours:
Lightsensor way to sensitive -> Still an issue
RDS information not always displayed correctly
Cup holder doesn't always come out -> Fixed by replacing the cup holder
FM radio reception still very poor
Your computer hangs from time to time. This indicate that the cache is running short or defected or process is malfunction. I-Drive needs to be replaced.

Need to raise hell to dealer to replace i-Drive for you.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

Again, crappy dealer service.
Obviously, the reduction in service quality is increaing BMW's bottom line. So get used to it. It's a corporate strategy because as was said before, we like the car so much we put up with crappy stuff.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i all options except, nav abd HUD

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 23 2004, 07:41 PM
Ouch! that's a lot of issues, but it seems that somehow most of your problems are software related. Maybe if they would just replace the iDrive computer from the top down you might have eliminated most issues. What I mean is to replace not just the software, but the entire computer and it's processor and drives.

It sounds like that would provide a completely new system to run the software and you could be in better condition to resolve all the little problems.

The other things like seat squeaks and other noises are more normal things that should be solvable with good technicians and time.

Good luck, and maybe some angry pressure would help the dealer to resolve it. Did you try going to a different dealer to get other opinions and solutions?
[snapback]37620[/snapback]
Doesn't work....I have already had my entire iDrive replaced and now I have more aggrevating issues than before. Keep watching my thread on the BMW REP. I have already contacted everyone from Moses on down....now I am talking with the BIG DOG in Munich.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JohanDC' date='Sep 23 2004, 06:39 PM
-? When driving up a ramp the auto tranny will switch between several gears (while it should stay in the same gear) -> Still an issue
- When driving down a ramp the auto tranny will also switch gears while you expect it to keep the same gear and will launch the car down in stead of slowing it down -> Still an issue
[snapback]37603[/snapback]
I've experienced both things with the steptronic too. I have learned to live with it I think it has to do with the fact that it is a steptronic.

I feel sorry for you having all the problems. I hope they get solved soon.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JohanDC' date='Sep 24 2004, 02:39 AM
If you are wondering what kind of issues I am talking about, here is the list:

Software problems:
- Lightsensor way to sensitive -> Still an issue
- Rainsensor not always working correctly
- RDS information not always displayed correctly
- When turning the screen off it stays illuminated
- When the screen is off the status bar will appear from time to time for a couple of seconds.
- The right screen of the I-drive (split screen) will revert to another view from time to time after restarting the car.

Mechanical problems:
- New cup holder isn't able to store a standard 0.33cl can of Coke (I messed up the enteriour of my car by having an open Coke in it, really nice!) -> Still an issue

Others:
- When closing the car after driving it the car starts to make really strange noices -> Still an issue

[snapback]37603[/snapback]
Sorry to read about all of your problems but I may be able to help.

Software: If you still have RDS you need a software update. They took it away in v.12 no you know why. BMW can adjust the sensitivity of the lights while hooked up to the computer. When teh you "turn off" the i-Drive screen it doesn't really go out. On any ones. IF you change track or radio station or if you have a check message the i_Drive will display th info for a brief period.

Mechanical: Many people do not like the cupholders. Someone modified theirs on the forum Please search and you may find an answer to your problem.

Others: The noises are quite normal. The car is shutting down and going in to sleep mode. Unless you are experiencing something really crazy it is normal.

I hope this info helps out and you can calm down. I hope all your problems get resolved soon. Love my car and luckily I have been very fortunate to not have these problems

Kris
Old 09-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

JohanDC....I think, as others have said, 95% of your issues are software related...get dealer to install v13.1 or higher and if required replaced the idrive controlling modules.

for the other issues.....

cannot say i've noticed that myself.

- Windshield whipers making a lot of noice from time to time

dealer should be able to fix, my wipers are very quiet.

- When the engine is running stationary you can feal it shake throught the entire car, dealer updated the motor software and told me it was resolved but I feel it shaking still as bad as before.

if it shakes through the transmission when idle could be the auto-clutch, take dealer out in car to demonstrate the issue.

Rattles & Squeeks:
- Rattle coming from the back seat -> Still an issue (after dealer claimed to have fixed it twice)

a problem that seems to plague many bmw models, i had this, dealer tried to fix twice, not perfect but is ok now, they basically insulated (with padding) all areas around the seat....the rattles are only really noticeable with the radio off and only on roads with bad surfaces....i accept some of it as i have the 18" wheels and runflat tyres so the ride is firm

- Squeeking noice coming from driver's seat -> Currently resolved after dealer tried to fix it 3 times

had similar, dealer also fixed, not come back since.

- Rattle coming from driver's headrest -> Still an issue (my dealer finally replaced all mechanical parts of my seat which resolved the problem from nearly 1 week!)

not had this....get dealer to sort or replace seat.
- Squeeking noice coming from passenger's seat -> Still an issue (dealer tried to resolve it 1x but no success)

- Armrest starting to rattle as well
not had this issue

- Rattles coming from the dashboard
not had this issue

overall i think your issues should be fixable by the dealer...the list looks long but most seem to be related to the software. I think the E60 is a great car but the software can only get better as BMW "learn" hang in there !!

Quick Reply: So many issues