E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So im takin in the car for repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So im takin in the car for repairs

So im takin in my 545i in bmw to get my valve seals done tomorrow morning. Im pretty sure they know all the necessary repairs it needs done but im still a alil rusty in everything that needs done doin the valve seals can someone tell me what needs to be done while valves are gettin replaced. I heard the heads gotta be resurfaced?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Great time to get all of the oil leaks corrected with new gaskets throughout that area of the engine.

Also, I believe there is a coolant o-ring that fails and is a $1700 job for a $5 part (similar to the alternator bracket gasket dilemma but this one pertains to the coolant.) I would consider this one a must do since you're exposing the area where the o-ring resides.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Hey did you get the valve seals replaced? I might be headed in that direction as well. If you don't mind me asking, what did this cost? And were they able to do the job without removing the heads?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by pcb5
Hey did you get the valve seals replaced? I might be headed in that direction as well. If you don't mind me asking, what did this cost? And were they able to do the job without removing the heads?
i would imagine they would do the seals without removing the heads, otherwise it'd be a major job.
i wonder why though, that some people have valve seals that go bad. one possible cause for oil seeping through seals, is a blocked up crankcase ventilation valve.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcb5
Well its still at bmw its been there for almost aweek today and they said ill probably be gettin it back till the 15th. And he said it's a real long job costin me about 3900 parts and labor. I'm hoping they do take the heads off because I heard and I think ill call em and ask em to (wash the heads to get all that gunk off the valve). Anybody think that's necessary?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

From what I've heard, the 545 suffers from severe carbon build up. So the heads must be removed and cleaned with tools since no solvent (i.e. Sea Foam) can remove it. These issues have been supposedly lessened in the 550 with the addition of the oil cooler, but we will have to wait and see as the mileage of 550's catches up with the 545.

Paran, the o-ring you mentioned for the valley coolant pipe is not a $5 part, typically they replace the entire pipe, which OEM costs around $12-1500 plus labor. There are replacement pipes out there for much less (around $900) but far from "cheap". The alternator bracket gasket is about $5, but it's a real PITA to replace.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
From what I've heard, the 545 suffers from severe carbon build up. So the heads must be removed and cleaned with tools since no solvent (i.e. Sea Foam) can remove it. These issues have been supposedly lessened in the 550 with the addition of the oil cooler, but we will have to wait and see as the mileage of 550's catches up with the 545.

Paran, the o-ring you mentioned for the valley coolant pipe is not a $5 part, typically they replace the entire pipe, which OEM costs around $12-1500 plus labor. There are replacement pipes out there for much less (around $900) but far from "cheap". The alternator bracket gasket is about $5, but it's a real PITA to replace.
Thanx then ill be callin em after lunch but I won't know for sure they gona wash the heads they can say yea ill let the mechanic know. What do u recommend for me to say or do so I can know they really washed the heads?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by 545isprt
Well its still at bmw its been there for almost aweek today and they said ill probably be gettin it back till the 15th. And he said it's a real long job costin me about 3900 parts and labor. I'm hoping they do take the heads off because I heard and I think ill call em and ask em to (wash the heads to get all that gunk off the valve). Anybody think that's necessary?
I think it would b a good idea to go down to the dealer and talk to the maintenence manager,,, and take a look at your car and see for your self,, exactly wat they are doen to ur car,, to see whats goen on..So you can also talk directly to the shop foreman over looking your car. I know i would,,, if major surgery is being performed on my baby, That way u can take care of all the issues that everyone above mentioned. So if they do take off the heads ,, have them clean the secondary air passages... also a new coolant pipe ( look into putting a better aftermarket one cause the oem one sucks) the vacume hose that runs under the manifold get that changed.. upper timming cover gaskets. Changing all that stuff while they got'er opened up will save u money in the long run... So get in there bro,,, and go see your baby.. and keep us posted.....
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by pjinca

Maybe we're talking about different things. Here's what I was referring too:

Name:  pipe_zps0f4cc300.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  44.6 KB

That pipe does have a permanent seal on the front, so I guess that entire pipe is replaced, but the primary cost by far is in the labor which this owner is already paying since the top half of the engine has been removed.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
New Members

Thanx H F I just called him and left him a vmail.. last time I talked to him was on thur or fri he said they would start opening her up today but I was really when you guys had my car for aweek and haven't opened her up???

Quick Reply: So im takin in the car for repairs