E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So i bent my rims this last Friday night...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

L.A. road conditions in downtown really suck , especially after the rain. So last Friday night I was driving to go grab a bite to eat and the night turns into a nightmare... I was coming around a bend and it was not very well lit because I was going underneath an overpass and the street lights were out, and before I knew it, I run over a pot hole the size of texas and i blew out both my front and rear right tires, bending both my rims... I couldn't believe it! I just recently got my left front rim fixed from another pothole that I ran over on the freeway, on the carpool lane. Unbelievable! Anyways, I was lucky that I was like around the block from my girlfriend's apartment, so I had to drive really really slowly back to her place and replaced my rims with the stock rims/tires. I'm gonna file a complaint with the city of Los Angeles and see if they'll pay for the repairs and new tires... I was wondering if anyone has done that before and if you have, what did u have to do? who do I need to get in touch with? I figure i have a case because the roads should be kept in drivable conditions, so i can claim negligence. Do you guys have any input or experienced anything of this sort?
Old 01-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Members

I've done it in NYC. It takes a really loooong time, but it is doable. I'm not sure how it works out in LA. But here I filed a police report and then had to show all the proper ownership docs and receipts, pictures, etc.

That's why I hate driving with my rims on roads I do not know with my eyes closed.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Jan 23 2005, 04:43 PM
L.A. road conditions in downtown really suck? , especially after the rain. So last Friday night I was driving to go grab a bite to eat and the night turns into a nightmare... I was coming around a bend and it was not very well lit because I was going underneath an overpass and the street lights were out, and before I knew it, I run over a pot hole the size of texas and i blew out both my front and rear right tires, bending both my rims... I couldn't believe it!
[snapback]82268[/snapback]
OMG did you exit 9th street like how to get to staples center if you were going on the 110 south??? the pot hole is in the right lane under the over pass???

If so I RAN OVER THAT SAME dang hole going to the LA Auto Show last week in my MINI!!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear your story, choi000 :'(. this is one of the reasons why i didn't change my wheels. many potholes over here as well . i think you have to call dept of transportation and ask them all the details. good luck on your claim .
Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Members

hey choi same story here except my wife was driving. Someone else said they had there wheels fixed at newport wheels for around $100 each one. Not bad considering how expensive its to replace one. The only thing is will the finish be the same
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

oouch! so sorry to hear that choi000.

i hope that you 'll repair those wheels back to its original lustre. 20" are fabulous wheels but also most delicate. $$$$2~!

good luck in claiming from the city, from experience it is going to be a frustrating ordeal to no avail.
the best i would suggest is to write about it in your paper like the LA times and avoid the area like a plague from now.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I just hit on the curb last weekend in San Fransisco and there are a huge rash on my rear right wheel. But i guess mine is not as worst as yours.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 23 2005, 05:10 PM
[quote name='choi000' date='Jan 23 2005, 04:43 PM']L.A. road conditions in downtown really suck? , especially after the rain. So last Friday night I was driving to go grab a bite to eat and the night turns into a nightmare... I was coming around a bend and it was not very well lit because I was going underneath an overpass and the street lights were out, and before I knew it, I run over a pot hole the size of texas and i blew out both my front and rear right tires, bending both my rims... I couldn't believe it!
OMG did you exit 9th street like how to get to staples center if you were going on the 110 south??? the pot hole is in the right lane under the over pass???

If so I RAN OVER THAT SAME dang hole going to the LA Auto Show last week in my MINI!!
[snapback]82280[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup. Thats the exact pothole that I ran over, right under the overpass where 8th and 9th street converge. I took pics of the pothole as well as my damaged rims. The front rim was bent on the inside and outside. The rear rim was bent on the inside. I'm not sure yet, but I think I might have to replace the damaged parts of the rim (they're 3 piece rims) because they're really badly damaged. I found out that I have to fill out a form which they're mailing to me and I need to call the dept of transportation and let them know about the pothole so they can get it fixed and I can get a claim number which I would need for the form that is being sent to me. I'm required to send with the form a copy of my invoices of the rims and pics of the damaged rims/tires and the pothole. Hopefully this won't take too long.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Jan 24 2005, 09:30 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jan 23 2005, 05:10 PM'][quote name='choi000' date='Jan 23 2005, 04:43 PM']L.A. road conditions in downtown really suck? , especially after the rain. So last Friday night I was driving to go grab a bite to eat and the night turns into a nightmare... I was coming around a bend and it was not very well lit because I was going underneath an overpass and the street lights were out, and before I knew it, I run over a pot hole the size of texas and i blew out both my front and rear right tires, bending both my rims... I couldn't believe it!

[/quote]

Yup. Thats the exact pothole that I ran over, right under the overpass where 8th and 9th street converge. I took pics of the pothole as well as my damaged rims. The front rim was bent on the inside and outside. The rear rim was bent on the inside. I'm not sure yet, but I think I might have to replace the damaged parts of the rim (they're 3 piece rims) because they're really badly damaged. I found out that I have to fill out a form which they're mailing to me and I need to call the dept of transportation and let them know about the pothole so they can get it fixed and I can get a claim number which I would need for the form that is being sent to me. I'm required to send with the form a copy of my invoices of the rims and pics of the damaged rims/tires and the pothole. Hopefully this won't take too long.
[snapback]82694[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds like its the same deal here too. Hopefully they'll get on it and you can get it paid for. Just follow up like crazy and always get a name of the person you speak with from the DOT. I hassled the people I've encountered to the point where they wanted to deal with it just to stop me from calling. But that's what you have to do with these lazy a$s desk workers these days...
Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by choi000' date='Jan 24 2005, 07:30 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jan 23 2005, 05:10 PM']

[snapback]82694[/snapback]
[/quote]

DANG! they still havent repaired that yet? Dude I should go claim for suspension damage!

Quick Reply: So i bent my rims this last Friday night...