E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow bound and frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

I'm in Fleet too.
My solution has been to use the wife's Mini Cooper.
Front wheel drive & manual.
But even that took me 2 days to get off the driveway to begin with.
Now parked on the road outside the house.
The 180 handbrake turns up the road to get it pointing the right way have been fun though

I've ordered socks and a collapsible shovel for the 5 so I'm ready for the next time.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 535D E61... no toys except media pack and vis pack

LOL, I'm in Fleet too - and currently having no troubles getting around.
Though the wifes CRV is not as comfortable as the snow adorned driveway ornament E61.

Tried to get the wagon out over weekend, and decided after just a few feet of zero drive traction, it was a waste of time.

Bring on the big thaw they keep promising!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Don't forget to try turning off DSC and DTC when you get stuck in snow, sometimes the electronics sense the wheels about to slip in an auto and cut the power to them, so it's not a case of failing to move because of lack of grip, but due to lack of drive from the autobox, turn off DSC and DTC and at least the wheels will turn, possibly enough to get you going, then turn DCS back on again.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 535D E61... no toys except media pack and vis pack

Yep, thats gotten me moving in less packed stuff, but our road is just too slippy for the tyres. They simply "ski" on the surface, then dig themselves in on the spot, making moving the thing even more difficult as the rear wheels are then in a depression. I may try throwing some bags of ballast in teh boot to weight it up see ifthat helps. Though I'm wishing I'd kept my previous Audi just a little longer before moving into this car.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Members

I have to agree that rear wheel drive in snow is not great for traction (but can be a lot of fun! ).
My wife's FWD is great. I always used to struggle to get of my driveway (small incline) with even half an inch of snow.
I bought a set of 17 inch wheels and tyres off Ebay. Sold the tyres and bought runflat M+S (mud and snow) tyres.
They are certainly a great investment. Every time the weather gets below 7C for any time, I change the wheels over for the winter. Plus it saves the wear on my 18's, so over time the cost is negligable over and above normal running.
I must concur with the comment about ice though - unless you have studded tyres...
Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by davestone' post='1089714' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:07 AM
Kaf,

Great advice and good to think about the overall cost in that the summer tyres would not be worn during the winter, so a worthwhile investment. Thanks for the tip about the wheel size as well. I'm not a great expert about what one can or cannot do re: wheels so this is helpful. Does anyone have any good recommendations for either online or offline suppliers who could supply tyres fitted to new alloys?

tirerack . com
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vascool' post='1090887' date='Jan 15 2010, 12:59 AM
tirerack . com
The international shipping from the states *might* make them a bit expensive
Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

Hi All. E61 525d se Auto on 18" runflats. Similar snow experiences to the UK'ers above. Left car on drive and took the wife's Scenic (have chains for that too just in case.
Just returned from trip to the Alps. Bought some Goodyear branded snow chains, decided against the Snowsocks as they don't look like they will last too long. I had to use them several times just to get up incline on snowy road to Chalet. Not too much of an issue and got to less than 2mins a wheel when fingers were not blue (-13 first time I put them on). Wheelarch clearance is very poor but doable. You will get dirty sleeves though.

The drive back to the UK included a blizzard on the autoroute in mid France. Down to 30/40mph, long gap between me and the car ahead but no issues if you keep it smooth. Good to know chains were in boot if it got too bad. Still didn't do my stress levels too much good. More of an issue is the visability, or lack of (most cars put on front and rear fogs).

Going to look for some cheap 17" rims and add winter tyres. I live in the Chilterns and very prone to snow when the rest of the the London area is snow free, plus very frosty roads.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme, cant recommend them enough
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by dweiss
Hi All. E61 525d se Auto on 18" runflats. Similar snow experiences to the UK'ers above. Left car on drive and took the wife's Scenic (have chains for that too just in case.
Just returned from trip to the Alps. Bought some Goodyear branded snow chains, decided against the Snowsocks as they don't look like they will last too long. I had to use them several times just to get up incline on snowy road to Chalet. Not too much of an issue and got to less than 2mins a wheel when fingers were not blue (-13 first time I put them on). Wheelarch clearance is very poor but doable. You will get dirty sleeves though.

The drive back to the UK included a blizzard on the autoroute in mid France. Down to 30/40mph, long gap between me and the car ahead but no issues if you keep it smooth. Good to know chains were in boot if it got too bad. Still didn't do my stress levels too much good. More of an issue is the visability, or lack of (most cars put on front and rear fogs).

Going to look for some cheap 17" rims and add winter tyres. I live in the Chilterns and very prone to snow when the rest of the the London area is snow free, plus very frosty roads.
Must have travelled along that bit of road same time as me last Saturday, but with winter tyres my E61 530D was quite happy at 50, nice being the fastest car on the autoroute for a change...........................though not of much use with the chaos at the channel tunnel terminal !!