E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow bound and frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='1088313' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:11 PM
BLIZZAK's

+1

I had the same experience here in MI with snow. Get some Blizzaks and you car will be like a 4x4. Trust me the difference is huge!! Even better buy a set of cheap rims with the blizzaks so it will make swapping them out easy. You will be able to drive in thick snow with no problem! If you drive them gentle they will last 5 seasons!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by davestone' post='1088153' date='Jan 11 2010, 03:50 PM
My first real post, and looking for some help/advice on how to get my car ('09 535d M Auto Sport) moving again.

When the first dump of snow occured on 21st Dec I was on my way back from a location that should have taken 15 min. That afternoon it had taken me nearly 3 hours to get home, driving a car that had no traction and little ability to steer. There were numerous BMW's littered along the journey and on a couple of occasions I thought mine was going to have to join the pile. I now have two damaged (cosmetic but not nice) nearside alloys as a result.

Since then, I've tried on a couple of occasions to get my car the 100yds down our street to join the main stream traffic where the roads seem ok, except that I can't even get it to drive 10yds. It just slips and slides all over the place. There are two scenarios I'm now considering, 1) if I'm out and it starts to snow again, how can I ensure I get home (high priority), 2) is there any way of making this car driveable during these conditions should I wish to go out (low priority). Incicently, I'm located in Fleet in Hampshire so it's not like its scotland or anything.

The tyres on the back are 275/30 R19's. I've looked at conventional snow chains, but understand that because of the clearance and width this is not a possibility. I've researched snow socks and that seems like a cheap and simple solution, but I wonder if they can make a difference for a car so imparied by the weather. Then, I've looked at the Thule K-Summit K33 Snow Chains which look ideal, and something similiar are the Weissenfels Clack n' Go Quattro's.. If I do get a pair, have I only solved half the problem, ie, will have no steering capability and therefore need a solution for the front as well?

So, is there anyone experiencing a similar behaviour with their 5 series? Have you cured it? How? Have you got snow chains/socks, winter tyres, etc..

Roll on the spring !
I'm just down the road and from past experience of BMWs on snow without winter tyres mine is still parkeded on the drive. Havn't even attempted to extract it as it is highly unlikely to get up anything less than 1:50 !!! Best solution I've found is to use the wifes car!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Blunt' post='1088844' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:00 AM
I'm just down the road and from past experience of BMWs on snow without winter tyres mine is still parkeded on the drive. Havn't even attempted to extract it as it is highly unlikely to get up anything less than 1:50 !!! Best solution I've found is to use the wifes car!
There lies another painful story. The wife has a Renault Megane (front wheel drive) that has been great in the snow. However, we've lost the one and only key (that looks like a black credit card) in the past few days so now we have two incapacitated cars sitting in the driveway. Not only have we got to order the keys from France, but the car needs to be programmed at the dealership, and given that the car is locked with the hand brake and steering lock on, getting it to the dealership is going to be a challenge. Just not our winter..
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1088361' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:27 PM
buy a cheap jeep or other 4wd vehicle and park the beemer for the winter. it's what i do, and it works without fail everytime.
I was just reading your post this morning and examining your signature and saw that you have an "XD-40" in the glove box. I thought.... maybe some sort of MP3 player, sound system module, etc.. and then i google'd ! Was that an optional extra when you bought yours?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Members

If wheels are 19-inch there is no surprise that the car is sliding on snow and ice. Put the 17-inch wheels and what is most important good winter tyres. Then you can see the difference.
I know because i drive most of the year on snow and ice.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Dave,

I was in the exact same situation as you on Tuesday 5th January. I was out in the evening and it started to snow, thought nothing of it but then it started to come down REALLY hard.

I've got 19" Conti Sport Contact 2's on mine. As you say, might as well be driving around on slicks. I crawled home on the M1 in the slow lane at 25 mph, every time I put any pressure on the accelerator the car would fishtail so I was virtually on tick over the whole way.

I live in Milton Keynes. Some people on here may not realise but MK is the home of the roundabout! We have a grid system there, much like you Yanks. It works great and I love it BUT in the snow every roundabout was like BMW Pinball. Each time I touched the brakes I would slide gracefully into the kerb. Then I would be stuck again. So hazard lights were clicked on and the only way I could get going again was to use DD_535i's suggestion of turning off the DTC and DSC and just letting the wheels spin away until they reached tarmac again and the car would start moving forward. This was repeated at every single bloody roundabout. There are about 8 roundabouts from the M1 to my house. There was nothing I could do to stop it occuring. Vauxhall Corsas and Kia's were sailing past me. I didn't dare make eye contact for fear of seeing the smug look on their faces!!!

Finally got home and just dumped the car at the bottom of the drive. Went out the day after and tried to move it. Took me 20 minutes to just turn the thing round in my cul-de-sac. Not fun. The snow has thawed now so back to normal business but it was ridiculous! My cousin has a Suburu Impreza 4WD and enjoyed mocking me on a daily basis! Suggested I buy a Impreza instead. You can imagine my response to that.

I can't really justify the cost of getting a full set of winters. For the rare occurrence in the UK where it snows that badly, it just isn't worth it. Would rather just get a cab to the station.

So to conclude, I love my 535d.........I hate driving it in the snow on Summer tyres!

Marc
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='1088890' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:56 PM
the only way I could get going again was to use DD_535i's suggestion of turning off the DTC and DSC and just letting the wheels spin

Marc
Steal two of my cylinders why don't ya
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1088898' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:03 PM
Steal two of my cylinders why don't ya
Hahaha! Sorry dude! Shall I replace them via an edit or do you want to take the 535i for a spin first?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='1088890' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:56 PM
Dave,

I was in the exact same situation as you on Tuesday 5th January. I was out in the evening and it started to snow, thought nothing of it but then it started to come down REALLY hard.

I've got 19" Conti Sport Contact 2's on mine. As you say, might as well be driving around on slicks. I crawled home on the M1 in the slow lane at 25 mph, every time I put any pressure on the accelerator the car would fishtail so I was virtually on tick over the whole way.

I live in Milton Keynes. Some people on here may not realise but MK is the home of the roundabout! We have a grid system there, much like you Yanks. It works great and I love it BUT in the snow every roundabout was like BMW Pinball. Each time I touched the brakes I would slide gracefully into the kerb. Then I would be stuck again. So hazard lights were clicked on and the only way I could get going again was to use DD_535i's suggestion of turning off the DTC and DSC and just letting the wheels spin away until they reached tarmac again and the car would start moving forward. This was repeated at every single bloody roundabout. There are about 8 roundabouts from the M1 to my house. There was nothing I could do to stop it occuring. Vauxhall Corsas and Kia's were sailing past me. I didn't dare make eye contact for fear of seeing the smug look on their faces!!!

Finally got home and just dumped the car at the bottom of the drive. Went out the day after and tried to move it. Took me 20 minutes to just turn the thing round in my cul-de-sac. Not fun. The snow has thawed now so back to normal business but it was ridiculous! My cousin has a Suburu Impreza 4WD and enjoyed mocking me on a daily basis! Suggested I buy a Impreza instead. You can imagine my response to that.

I can't really justify the cost of getting a full set of winters. For the rare occurrence in the UK where it snows that badly, it just isn't worth it. Would rather just get a cab to the station.

So to conclude, I love my 535d.........I hate driving it in the snow on Summer tyres!

Marc
Marc, thanks for sharing that. It sounded very similar to my experience. It's that being caught out experience. I'm currently pondering the winter tyre solution, and probably on another set of alloys as well, and its probably the cost holding me back at this point. I think if the weather people could give me a 3 month forecast it would probably swing whether I go out this weekend, or postpone the investment till the summer/autumn. In the interim I may make an small investment in the Snow Socks, keep them in the boot, and then if I get caught out and about with snow, deploy the socks and hopefully get home.

The responses so far in this thread has made me understand my tyres a little more, convinced me that winter tyres are the way to go (I've gone cold (!) on the thought of snow chains now), so, I think it's Socks and Winter tyres at some point.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='1088899
I think it's Socks and Winter tyres at some point.
Ordered my socks and they said they were dispatched yesterday. Expecting them tomorrow. Tempted to go out and play. Get myself stuck in a little car park I know that has a cruel incline. I got myself stuck there a week or two ago. I only got out by reversing down a bit, turning 90 degrees so I was driving sideways for a bit and then turned into the uphill part with a couple of mph of speed I'd built up. It was just enough. Winter tyres alone aren't a cure-all, but these socks sound like they will make a huge difference. Need to be careful to not rip them to shreds on tarmac though.

Quick Reply: Snow bound and frustrated