E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is the SMG worth Getting?/What made you decide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the M3 system and love the quickness of it with the different shift modes

I have no info or feedback on the E60 SMG

I love shifting gears even on an auto but on steptronic the lever is backwards, to upshift you pull down to downshift you push up

Its like retarded to me.

I know when I drive an Audi or Benz I constantly am playing with the shift buttons and I like it

So What I would like to know considering this car isnt a race car is it civil in daily driving? IS it jerky, is the shiffing quick and accurate, how do the Paddles feel there postion is it comfortable?

Im concerned since in NYC Im slammed in traffic so much

Tell me more about the Auto Mode, and can you shift with the shift knob as well?

Sorry for all the quesitons the car is a blast even with the Auto but since Im going to Order it I might as well get every toy to play with.

Im a bit reluctant to order the car without driving an SMG and get stuck with it.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

RType,

Do a search on SMG, you will get all of the information you need without being able to drive the car. If that is not enough, then you should find one to drive before you make your final decision.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributors

Check the faq section also. Rudy has many posts regarding the inforation you need.

But basically, the question is, if you had to chose between the Manual and Automatic, which would you choose. If you choose automatic, then your done, take the Automatic. If you selected manual, then consider the SMG. It is Manual Transmission, that the computer controls the clutch. There is a learning curve associated with smoothing out the shifts in the SMG.

My decision was Manual, then SMG. The perfect "Heal and Toe" downshifts by the SMG, I am not good at it myself, was the reason I chose it.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I ordered mine without ever trying it (not even the M3 version). A little risky on my part but I knew it was what I wanted - and I don't regret it at all.

If you have the opportunity to test drive one you probably will get the Auto or the Traditional 6-speed manual. You need some time to "bond" with an SMG 5 series.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 6 2004, 06:51 PM
I have used the M3 system and love the quickness of it with the different shift modes

I have no info or feedback on the E60 SMG

I love shifting gears even on an auto but on steptronic the lever is backwards, to upshift you pull down to downshift you push up

Its like retarded to me.

I know when I drive an Audi or Benz I constantly am playing with the shift buttons and I like it

So What I would like to know considering this car isnt a race car is it civil in daily driving? IS it jerky, is the shiffing quick and accurate, how do the Paddles feel there postion is it comfortable?

Im concerned since in NYC Im slammed in traffic so much

Tell me more about the Auto Mode, and can you shift with the shift knob as well?

Sorry for all the quesitons the car is a blast even with the Auto but since Im going to Order it I might as well get every toy to play with.

Im a bit reluctant to order the car without driving an SMG and get stuck with it.
[snapback]53394[/snapback]

Ok for me I chose SMG after test driving it. in Auto Mode it wasnt that bad... of course its not as smooth as Automatic but its not as jerky as I thought. Much much smother than the Z4's SMG.

Since you like playing with the shifting I say go for the SMG.

The paddles are comfortable for me. you have a choice of two paddles, left or right or the gear lever to change gears so that shouldnt be a problem...

I dont like the "If you were to chose Auto or Manual what would you choose" Question since it didnt apply to me. if that was asked then for this car I would have chosen Auto for sure. BUT since the SMG didnt have a clutch but still allowed me to shift my own gear OR have it in auto mode I went for that... PLUS the steering wheel is much nicer on the SMG.

And for those who want to complain about me not wanting to mess with the clutch save it. I drive a manual everyday as a daily driver in traffic and all, I can do it and I dont mind it one bit. I prefer to drive a manual in traffic than a auto.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Members

I bought the SMG sight unseen. It is the BEST transmission I have ever driven. Would not try anything else. Most fun you can have with your clothes still on (well, I do drive in the buff once in a while...:-)

The 'automatic' mode is OK. A bit unresponsive upshifting, not really jerky though. But with the paddles and no clutch, I rarely use it since I can be on a call or coffee with one hand and still be shifting like mad...
Old 11-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

It was worth getting for me, but I didn't realize how great it was until I got know the car. Once I got the timing down I could shift without jerkiness if I wanted to keep my passengers comfortable. But the most fun is to be had under hard acceleration in sports mode. Way fun.

Automatic mode takes a little getting used to also. It isn't as smooth as a convential automatic, but at least you have the option when you don't feel like using the paddles or the stick. I use it for open highway driving, probably about 20 percent of the time.

I'd say that if you are leaning towards a manual get the SMG, my opinion is that it is better - you get the sport benefits of a manual with ultra quick shifts and the option of driving in manual mode when your mood or conditions are appropriate. If you are leaning towards automatic, and you are considering SMG for occasional use then you'd probably be happier with the auto tranny.

I don't drive in heavy traffic like you have in NY very often. But when I do stop and go isn't too bad since shifting is so effortless, but if I were in bumper-to-bumper situations every day I might lean more towards the automatic.

Nick
Old 11-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Members

It's very simple. If you like a manual transmission, you MUST get the SMG. It feels exactly like a manual but engages the clutch perfectly every time. Traffic is not an issue.

The direction of the paddles is very smart.

Don't get the SMG if you are going to drive mainly in auto mode.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:23 PM
JDN
Contributors

Truth is that an experienced manual tranny driver can likely shift more smoothly going up the gears with a 545 stick than SMG, but the bottom line is he can never shift better going down the gears. Also, even though he may speed shift with a stick faster, too, he will never miss a gear going up or down the scale with SMG. If you have ever had that happen with a stick, you know that sick feeling you get when the engine over revs or the gears grind. Most stick-shifter converts will be happiest in SMG Sport mode going up the scale. Then there is the convenience issue of the SMG by allowing shifting with either hand which in effect gives you an extra hand compared to a stick. The hand on the wheel can shift like crazy while the other waves bye bye to whatever you are pedaling against at the moment. There is a gas mileage penalty to SMG compared to a stick.

Have I confused the issue enough?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 7 2004, 07:23 PM
There is a gas mileage penalty to SMG compared to a stick.
[snapback]53649[/snapback]
Like 1mpg in book terms... but if you can afford a $60K+ car u can afford the gas (hopefully). Thats what I always say... if you're concerned about that 1 to 3mpg difference you're better off with a different class of car.