E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG when rolling towards a red light

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

should be smooth either way since car matches revs to road speed.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

drjochen, if you do as ebmcs03 says do you still have a problem?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I always force first gear before the car does it for me. Also, once in first, as you're rolling to a stop, you'll learn to modulate the brake pedal to maintain smoothness as the car disengages the clutch...
Old 12-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

Another vote for no problem on the SMG downshift (be it auto or manual). drjochen, you may want to take it to the dealer and have them check out the problem. If they can't resolve the issue I'd escalate to BMW NA.

just my 2 cents worth,

beewang
Old 12-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I don't have any jerkiness and I do use the Auto mode quite a bit. I tend to downshift myself before the car does, but that's because I love to hear that downshift.

But even when I let the car do it itself (either in Auto or not) I never have a jerky feeling. I was actually trying it a few different ways today to see if I could get the car to jerk. Nope.
I just turned 15K miles and all is well in Auto mode or paddle/shifter mode.
I do throw it into N every now and again coming to a stop. Sometimes I'll throw it in N while coasting just to give it a few revs and hear that lovely note and then throw it back into "gear". The computer will always select the appropriate gear. No issues doing either.
Hopefully that helps you.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 18 2004, 05:27 PM
drjochen, if you do as ebmcs03 says do you still have a problem?
[snapback]70297[/snapback]
I tried it today and its still there. It seems that only the shift from 2nd to 1st is not smooth. It also dosn't really blip the throttle, like it does whan it goed from 3rd to 2nd.

I guess I need to have the dealer lookm into this eventually. I juts know they'll tell me its "normal"...

Jochen
Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 18 2004, 10:00 PM
I don't have any jerkiness and I do use the Auto mode quite a bit.? I tend to downshift myself before the car does, but that's because I love to hear that downshift. ?

But even when I let the car do it itself (either in Auto or not) I never have a jerky feeling.? I was actually trying it a few different ways today to see if I could get the car to jerk.? Nope.
I just turned 15K miles and all is well in Auto mode or paddle/shifter mode.
I do throw it into N every now and again coming to a stop.? Sometimes I'll throw it in N while coasting just to give it a few revs and hear that lovely note and then throw it back into "gear".? The computer will always select the appropriate gear.? No issues doing either.
Hopefully that helps you.
[snapback]70371[/snapback]
I love the N to give it some throttle, too. Tried it again today, wonderful.

Jochen
Old 12-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Dec 19 2004, 07:46 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 18 2004, 05:27 PM']drjochen, if you do as ebmcs03 says do you still have a problem?
[snapback]70297[/snapback]
I tried it today and its still there. It seems that only the shift from 2nd to 1st is not smooth. It also dosn't really blip the throttle, like it does whan it goed from 3rd to 2nd.

I guess I need to have the dealer lookm into this eventually. I juts know they'll tell me its "normal"...

Jochen
[snapback]70611[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just a thought Dr.
Are you in Sport mode (even if in auto)?
I get some very authorotaive "blips" in Auto mode as long as I'm in Sport mode.
And the only Jerk is the one in the drivers seat.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ahhhhhhh HA!!!!!! I knew I thought I remember reading somthing like this. Finally remembered...

Now I know what you mean drjochen. I occasionally have this problem also. It is the car. Like 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it stops really smooth. Have you ever figured out the problem? has it been fixed?

You know what I think... SMGs are still a hit and miss. If you are lucky you get no problems like MOST people here... if unlucky like me and you you'll get some problems. Sucks. I just really hope it can be fixed with software update.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you're waiting for the car to downshift or if you're forcing the downshift while the car is crawling, you're setting yourself up for this behavior.

You need to put it in first well before the car feels it needs to for you (like around 1500 to 2000 rpms or higher.) From there, depending on the situation, you need to modulate the gas or the brake to come to a smooth stop...

Quick Reply: SMG when rolling towards a red light