E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

The only time I drove a SMG was in an M3. Did you have it set to sport, and the shortest time?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:24 PM
...Reason I ask. I'm up in SF this weekend and was driving around in my MINI 6spd manual... Oh man... hills are a killer on clutches and a major wear and tear on the clutch. I think I burned off a few thousand miles off the clutch just from today!? ? ....
Who taught you how to drive a stick anyways?? Go get your money back because they cheated you out of the section where you are supppose to pull you E-brakes for an up-hill start

btw, RTFM because it tells you to do the same thing w/ respect to SMG up-hill start.

cheers,

beewang
Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Apr 10 2005, 11:57 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:24 PM']...Reason I ask. I'm up in SF this weekend and was driving around in my MINI 6spd manual... Oh man... hills are a killer on clutches and a major wear and tear on the clutch. I think I burned off a few thousand miles off the clutch just from today!? ? ....
Who taught you how to drive a stick anyways?? Go get your money back because they cheated you out of the section where you are supppose to pull you E-brakes for an up-hill start

btw, RTFM because it tells you to do the same thing w/ respect to SMG up-hill start.

cheers,

beewang
[snapback]113963[/snapback]
[/quote]

Whatever Bee. Sometimes your comments are stupid. You know I'm not a SF driver there are no hills in LA that are remotly as steep so I've NEVER had to pull the e-brake that hard or ever even. I want to see you drive up the hill to the right of Lombard street when you're stuck in the middle. See if you can really drive up a hill as good as you can talk.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

That was me!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Roland Kelly, Menlo Park CA

Hi,

Beewang is largely correct . I live in the Bay Area and visit SF often and I agree that it is one of the most difficult cities in the world to drive around due to the very steep hills. My first car in SF was a Audi 90 Manual and I always enjoyed the challenge of SF, now in an E39 2003 Sport Package Step it glides up and down hills with relative ease, I love my V8 , however I will still use the Emergency Brake (or really called the Hand Brake..as it is in Europe) to ensure that you do NOT roll back into the idiot who is 2 inches from your rear bumper ! Didn't driving school teach us to always be see the rear tires of the car in front !! About 70% of a car length is about right (stops some other idiot from pulling in front of you).

As regards driving a Manual Trans in SF I offer following.

1) ALWAYS use the Emergency/Handbrake when stopped on an incline (>5%), no ifs, ands or otherwise.

2) As soon as you need to take off ease off the clutch gently and as soon as you see a slight dip in the RPM (or listen to the change of engine sound) bang off the Handbrake and away you go. (I suggest practicing (about 30 times) on the steepest hill you can find and place a paper cup behind the rear wheel, when you don't crush the papercup 5 times in a row you can drive a stick in SF).

3) Try to use the brakes to stop the car on hills (unless they are getting very very hot, then use some engine braking also). Brakes are a lot cheaper to repair than transmissions !

4) Also apply the inverse of the rule above when pulling up behind someone driving a stick (or is likely to be), I was driving DOWN Van Ness Ave last week and a driver continued to stall their car (a diesel !!, hard to stall a diesel)...so be careful out there. This guy slowed down the entire middle lane in rush hour due to not knowing what the clutch was for >)

Safe driving !

Roland Kelly
Menlo Park, CA

ED 540iA Sport 1999, 2001, 2003 (dreaming about the next one !!)
Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM

I love the Manual. I was in the same boat, never owned an auto; I decided to keep that streak going.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Roland Kelly' date=' Menlo Park CA,Apr 11 2005, 09:43 PM
1) ALWAYS use the Emergency/Handbrake when stopped on an incline (>5%), no ifs, ands or
[snapback]114193[/snapback]
That's correct!

I can completely do it without on any car and any hill... But it's not good at all for the clutch and the transmission.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I never use the handbrake. Clutch, gear lever, and gas is enough for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Roland Kelly' date=' Menlo Park CA,Apr 11 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Beewang is largely correct? . I live in the Bay Area and visit SF often and I agree that it is one of the most difficult cities in the world to drive around due to the very steep hills. My first car in SF was a Audi 90 Manual and I always enjoyed the challenge of SF, now in an E39 2003 Sport Package Step it glides up and down hills with relative ease, I love my V8 , however I will still use the Emergency Brake (or really called the Hand Brake..as it is in Europe) to ensure that you do NOT roll back into the idiot who is 2 inches from your rear bumper ! Didn't driving school teach us to always be see the rear tires of the car in front !! About 70% of a car length is about right (stops some other idiot from pulling in front of you).
[snapback]114193[/snapback]

Argh! I did use my e-brake but apparntly not hard enough. Cuz like I said I never driven a Manual in SF. I manage LA hills better than fine. but man that hill to the right after comming down from lombard street is a killer... even hand brake didnt hold the car. Its not my inability to drive a manual on hills its the lack of practice on those particular steep hills. I'm just annoyed at Bee's stupid comments somtimes like I said let me see him go up that hill.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You could just move to Florida, where's it's nice and flat.

Quick Reply: SMG vs. Manual