E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In December my gear shift on the smg transmission was locked in the neutral position and the stick could not be moved, however the computer did not recognize the gear shift being in neutral. It was locked in gear. I had to have the car towed. It had to be towed backwards out of my garage while in gear. BMW replaced some kind of box on the transmission and had to reprogram the cars computer.
About two weeks later, I started driving the car. I went throught the gears the first time without trouble. The second time though the gears, I hit 1,2,3 ok. When I shifted into fourth gear, the car shifted out of third but did not shift into fourth. It then shifted back to third. As I came to a stop, I shifted into 2 and then 1. I start foward again, the car slowlyaccelerated and I realize the car is still in third gear. The SMG will not shift up or down from third gear. Later that night after the computer resets I'm able to start the car and it shifts fine.
A couple days later it does the same thing. I take it to the dealer. They try reprogramming the computer. Later the car gets stuck in first gear for mechanic. BMW replaces the transmission. GREAT!!. The next morning, my car does the exact same stuck in third gear thing. I have brought the car back. They reprogrammed the car three different times with no luck. They are now replacing the clutch. I'm still waiting for that repair.
The BMW mechanic thinks cold weather 45 - 50 degrees seems to make it worse. They claim it gets better once the engine and tranny warm up.
Has anyone heard of anything like this happening. Neither BMW or ZF have ever heard of this happening before.

2005 545i built in Oct 2004
Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Lemon Law Case!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cwlafleur' post='227239' date='Jan 20 2006, 07:46 PM
In December my gear shift on the smg transmission was locked in the neutral position and the stick could not be moved, however the computer did not recognize the gear shift being in neutral. It was locked in gear. I had to have the car towed. It had to be towed backwards out of my garage while in gear. BMW replaced some kind of box on the transmission and had to reprogram the cars computer.
About two weeks later, I started driving the car. I went throught the gears the first time without trouble. The second time though the gears, I hit 1,2,3 ok. When I shifted into fourth gear, the car shifted out of third but did not shift into fourth. It then shifted back to third. As I came to a stop, I shifted into 2 and then 1. I start foward again, the car slowlyaccelerated and I realize the car is still in third gear. The SMG will not shift up or down from third gear. Later that night after the computer resets I'm able to start the car and it shifts fine.
A couple days later it does the same thing. I take it to the dealer. They try reprogramming the computer. Later the car gets stuck in first gear for mechanic. BMW replaces the transmission. GREAT!!. The next morning, my car does the exact same stuck in third gear thing. I have brought the car back. They reprogrammed the car three different times with no luck. They are now replacing the clutch. I'm still waiting for that repair.
The BMW mechanic thinks cold weather 45 - 50 degrees seems to make it worse. They claim it gets better once the engine and tranny warm up.
Has anyone heard of anything like this happening. Neither BMW or ZF have ever heard of this happening before.

2005 545i built in Oct 2004
What do you mean BMW replaced the transmission?? You got a whole new engine? Whole new SMG gearbox?

The problem you experienced -- e.g. SMG getting stuck in gear -- is unfortunately a common issue with SMG gearboxes.

This is not a software problem - reprogramming the SMG diagnostics will do nothing.

Do the following: Tell the dealer to replace 2 things: (1) SMG actuators and (2) SMG hydraulic pumps.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='227265' date='Jan 20 2006, 09:02 PM
Do the following: Tell the dealer to replace 2 things: (1) SMG actuators and (2) SMG hydraulic pumps.

Thats what I was thinking... but by replacing the whole transmission doesnt that "replace" the acuators and hydraulic pumps also? They're not part of the tranny?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='227292

Thats what I was thinking... but by replacing the whole transmission doesnt that "replace" the acuators and hydraulic pumps also? They're not part of the tranny?
[/quote]

No. From what I understand the pumps and actuators are actually separate units from the actual transmission and gearbox.

But, as with many things in life, I could be completely and utterly wrong ...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Members

The engine was not touched. I was told the transmission had been replaced. I assume that is the entire gear box. However the clutch was not relaced at that time. It is being replaced now although i dont think that is going to help.