E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG / Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530I, Black Saphire Metallic Exterior with Aburn Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, SMG, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Fold-down Rear Seats, Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Audio Aux Input
Thumbs down

I have a '04 530i with SMG. I have had an intermittent issue with the transmission. I'll be driving in automatic mode and the car will downshift to 2nd gear (or so I?ve noticed) then the car will jerk hard (maybe a hard shift) almost stalling or will stall in some cases (almost been in 2 accidents because of this) and then SMG changes from auto to sequential every time this happens. Also I've had in the recent past I've had the SMG shift hard (automatic), shifting up or down to whatever gear unlike the above issue, and then immediately get a active steering disabled or active-roll disabled error. I have had the car in for this issue twice now and every time they can't reproduce the issue so it doesn't exist. I really don't know what to do. HELP! Thanks all ahead of time...
Old 12-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The following thread won't help you much with an answer but the original poster was having problems with SMG changing from auto mode to manual mode by itself. Maybe a PM to the poster could help you out...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4819

Also, EBMCS03 had this problem a while ago...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup I had that problem just as you stated... It was bad, jerking the whole drivetrain of the car.

Its a software fix believe it or not. Its 99% fixed now with V16.2 I had to wait about 3 or 4 months for the fix. I had the problem from day 1 when I picked up the car.

Here print this out and take it to the dealer. You should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails SMG / Transmission issue-smg.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

The only issues I have had seem to be if I'm making a stop/rolling turn and the road is rough, the car/clutch shutters (like someone driving a manual for the first time and not letting out the clutch smoothly).

Otherwise it has been flawless! I even don't mind the non-sport mode....and Auto mode in traffic or talking on the cell phone is great...love it!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='216846' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:37 AM
The only issues I have had seem to be if I'm making a stop/rolling turn and the road is rough, the car/clutch shutters (like someone driving a manual for the first time and not letting out the clutch smoothly).
How bad is the shttering? Very minor or very bad where its on the verge of stalling?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Members

I had the same problem, software issue. However, they decided to replace entire transmission as a precautionary measure. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that vehicle is a lease.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='216855
How bad is the shttering? Very minor or very bad where its on the verge of stalling?
[/quote]

Shttering goes away once the speed picks up. Doesn't feel like its going to stall.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Is it minor or is it really bad shuddering? I think occasionally at the right moments I have a tiny bit of shuddering not bad at all. I guess the software can get confused if you put it under certain situations...
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='216965' date='Dec 29 2005, 05:27 PM
Is it minor or is it really bad shuddering? I think occasionally at the right moments I have a tiny bit of shuddering not bad at all. I guess the software can get confused if you put it under certain situations...
It's pretty severe when it happens but luckily doesn't happen often...I think I know how to control it with steady throttle input. I think your right about confusing the software momentarily.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='217076' date='Dec 29 2005, 07:33 PM
It's pretty severe when it happens but luckily doesn't happen often...I think I know how to control it with steady throttle input. I think your right about confusing the software momentarily.

Cool as long as its not a problem... hope it doesnt get worse... but ya I'm thinking its confused software... all those different inputs going into the transmission it gets confused... Guess those programmers didnt anticipate low speed bumps on the road while making a slow right turn... BACK TO THE TEST BED!

Quick Reply: SMG / Transmission issue