E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 E90 M3

"Transmission Failsafe mode. Only the gears R, N, 1 to 3 are available. Please have the system checked by your nearest BMW center." The yellow cog warning.

Within 3 years of ownership of my 530i this past saturday was my third time getting this fault. All within a 30,000KM (18,000 mile) window. First time (IIRC, @ 43,xxxKM) the message pops up, there really was no problem with the tranmission. I could even use fourth gear, contrary to what the warning showed. Brought it to the dealership and guess what? Whole transmission needed to be replaced. It was good until 2 weeks ago (68,xxxKM) when the yellow cog came up again. Now this time the warning didn't lie; third was the highest gear I could use. Straight to the dealership then. Replaced (under warranty of course) was the SMG hydraulic pump. Everything was fine afterwards.....

....But no, that wasn't the end. More than 50 kilometres from home, things go way downhill. I approach a red light and stop. Left it in 1st gear. Light goes green, I hit the gas - but the car had decided to switch itself into Neutral. I get on the brakes and move the stick back and forth between N and 1, but the car won't get into gear. Cars behind me start honking. After countless attempts it gets into first and I take off - and then the Transmission fault warning comes up yet again. This happens again at the next stoplight. I had a choice - to take the local roads and risk getting stuck at every red, or take the highway in 3rd gear. I decided to limp home @ 80km/h on the highway, hazards flashing, @3rd gear above 3000 revs for 40 minutes. I made it home. Yesterday, the car won't get into gear, period. Mileage sits at 69,000km, which is only about 1,000KM from when the tranny last needed attention - and now its back to the dealer.

Has anyone with SMG transmission experienced anything similar? Sure the tranny is fun to use, but it's ridiculous to screw up so often. A replacement transmission at 43K, a main component replaced at 68K, and now the car is immobile at 69K. I'm slightly suspecting it might just be my particular car as I have friends with M3 SMGs (though I aknowledge it is a different SMG) and absolutely no problem, but is there anything I can do? Right now I am still within the warranty period, but soon I'll be on my own - and that's a scary thought considering the history of transmission work needed. Anyone deal with a major recurring problem? Any advice?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I had the same issue just days before turning in my 545 SMG at lease end. At first I thought it was only a software issue, but it turned out to be a faulty pump which needed to be replaced.

As for moving forward, depending on your relationship with your salesman, sales manager and/or SA, I would talk to someone about extending the warranty, for free, on at least the transmission. BMW has done this before for groups of cars with known problems.

Edit: I forgot to add that I had my entire transmission replaced at about 8,000 miles because BMW could not fix a very severe case of the "slams." BMW must have a record of numerous SMG faults and this can only help in your negotiations.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Members

This is common for M5
Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Had numerous transmission faults which ended when I could not get the tranny into neutral at startup, so the car wouldn't start sometimes. They would not tow it either because it was stuck in gear and they were afraid to drag it onto a flatbed. They replaced the tranny and all control pumps.
I did love the SMG though and still miss it today. As good as my SA is, it is not as much fun.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG

Originally Posted by alpineweiss
"Transmission Failsafe mode. Only the gears R, N, 1 to 3 are available. Please have the system checked by your nearest BMW center." The yellow cog warning.

Within 3 years of ownership of my 530i this past saturday was my third time getting this fault. All within a 30,000KM (18,000 mile) window. First time (IIRC, @ 43,xxxKM) the message pops up, there really was no problem with the tranmission. I could even use fourth gear, contrary to what the warning showed. Brought it to the dealership and guess what? Whole transmission needed to be replaced. It was good until 2 weeks ago (68,xxxKM) when the yellow cog came up again. Now this time the warning didn't lie; third was the highest gear I could use. Straight to the dealership then. Replaced (under warranty of course) was the SMG hydraulic pump. Everything was fine afterwards.....

....But no, that wasn't the end. More than 50 kilometres from home, things go way downhill. I approach a red light and stop. Left it in 1st gear. Light goes green, I hit the gas - but the car had decided to switch itself into Neutral. I get on the brakes and move the stick back and forth between N and 1, but the car won't get into gear. Cars behind me start honking. After countless attempts it gets into first and I take off - and then the Transmission fault warning comes up yet again. This happens again at the next stoplight. I had a choice - to take the local roads and risk getting stuck at every red, or take the highway in 3rd gear. I decided to limp home @ 80km/h on the highway, hazards flashing, @3rd gear above 3000 revs for 40 minutes. I made it home. Yesterday, the car won't get into gear, period. Mileage sits at 69,000km, which is only about 1,000KM from when the tranny last needed attention - and now its back to the dealer.

Has anyone with SMG transmission experienced anything similar? Sure the tranny is fun to use, but it's ridiculous to screw up so often. A replacement transmission at 43K, a main component replaced at 68K, and now the car is immobile at 69K. I'm slightly suspecting it might just be my particular car as I have friends with M3 SMGs (though I aknowledge it is a different SMG) and absolutely no problem, but is there anything I can do? Right now I am still within the warranty period, but soon I'll be on my own - and that's a scary thought considering the history of transmission work needed. Anyone deal with a major recurring problem? Any advice?
So what was the problem?! I`m in the same situation right now. 165000km/100 000 miles. Please let me know.