E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellicit
anyother smg owners get real paranoid reading these threads...
The internet causes a lot of paranoia! Sucks doesn't it haha. You just gotta keep telling yourself you only live one.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bha7176
Am I missing something? The OP stated the exact parts the car needed, I looked them up on realoem.com and they only cost $5XX. So they have to drop the tranny to replace these parts. they don't have to completely dismantle the tranny do they? Just drop it and replace these two parts?

Why the $5,000 labor charge then?

I don't get it. Most of the talk since has been about tranny replacement and complete rebuild - not the OP's issues right? Or is it me?
I don't believe the tranny has to come out. Dealership is just taking him for a ride. The issue use to be a few years ago that you couldn't buy just the pump part. Now you can.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/825...a-is-a-ripoff/

This guy here did his own and he makes it sound pretty damn easy to do as there is only a couple bolts.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VTGT
Yeah well I am talking about the SMG for the M5 which I will guarantee is more than a 550i automatic. Also I would bet that the 550i auto will last until at least 100,000 before needing a rebuild, while the SMG M5 can grenade at a moments notice....ok not that bad but compared to a 550i automatic it is not as reliable or durable.
Yeah the M5 badboy is like $8,800 just for the tranny. But that is completely different SMG tranny then you find in the 530/545/550/6 series(non M).

That is one thing that scares me on M cars. Would love to own one but like every single part is double in cost.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by skylolow
I don't believe the tranny has to come out. Dealership is just taking him for a ride. The issue use to be a few years ago that you couldn't buy just the pump part. Now you can.

This guy here did his own and he makes it sound pretty damn easy to do as there is only a couple bolts.

This makes sense. Everyone is off into complete tranny replacement yada yada yada and this isn't the guys issue. If its as simple as finding these parts and replacing them - do some research, buy the parts, research some more, get the tools, and replace them.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Does anyone know what a clutch replacement would cost in parts and labor. I have a 2007 530 and don't need a clutch, yet. thx
Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

My SMG transmission on my 545 was yanked and replaced under warranty, however I don't think that they needed to do that. I think they did it to study the problem and them having both the tranny and electro-hydraulic systems back intact was beneficial.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AP Sales
Does anyone know what a clutch replacement would cost in parts and labor. I have a 2007 530 and don't need a clutch, yet. thx
Haven't had mine replaced but doing research on it expect similar cost to a reg. manual.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

See my experience here....

It ended up costing me just $40 for the fluid to refill resevior when I was finished. BMW says this is lifetime fluid, but mine was very dirty when I replaced it. It may only be a bad relay, but you can't tell until you put voltage on the part direclty under the car. Its probably only one or the other not both. I would doubt the relay and pump failed at the same time. Also be aware that there is a hidden inline fuse for that pump that "IS NOT" in any of the marked fuseboxes, or fusebox locations in this car. This took me a very long time to figure out when I was pulling my hair out on my car. I did figure out in the process that you can shift the smg by using wires directly to pump if your in a pinch.

I've put 20,000 miles on the car since BMW NA told me I needed a new transmission, for $8k.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by blackfalcon
See my experience here....

It ended up costing me just $40 for the fluid to refill resevior when I was finished. BMW says this is lifetime fluid, but mine was very dirty when I replaced it. It may only be a bad relay, but you can't tell until you put voltage on the part direclty under the car. Its probably only one or the other not both. I would doubt the relay and pump failed at the same time. Also be aware that there is a hidden inline fuse for that pump that "IS NOT" in any of the marked fuseboxes, or fusebox locations in this car. This took me a very long time to figure out when I was pulling my hair out on my car. I did figure out in the process that you can shift the smg by using wires directly to pump if your in a pinch.

I've put 20,000 miles on the car since BMW NA told me I needed a new transmission, for $8k.
Hey there, I was reading about your extensive exploration of the SMG tranny. I was wondering where the inline fuse for the pump was as well as the relay. I did some research to find that the relay for the SMG is in the engine compartment under the right A/C filter element box. Is there another place where I should look for the fuse?