E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Transmission Fail Safe

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Well, since the fault codes are all over the places not limited to transmission, I would replace the battery first see what happends.
Low battery triggers all sort of codes
I'm glad it's not the pump. Keep us(or is it me just interested?) updated.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='1022494' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:19 PM
Well, since the fault codes are all over the places not limited to transmission, I would replace the battery first see what happends.
Low battery triggers all sort of codes
I'm glad it's not the pump. Keep us(or is it me just interested?) updated.

I was going to suggest that too... with 4 years on the clock the battery might not be as strong as it use to be and that can throw all sorts of faults.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1022608' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:30 PM
I was going to suggest that too... with 4 years on the clock the battery might not be as strong as it use to be and that can throw all sorts of faults.
Maybe I can get lucky and that will solve it....car is actually five years old this week. October 2004 delivery of the 2005 model.

I replaced the battery a couple of years ago so I'm already on battery #2. Could this be #3?

Thanks. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pughmat' post='1022997' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:07 AM
Maybe I can get lucky and that will solve it....car is actually five years old this week. October 2004 delivery of the 2005 model.

I replaced the battery a couple of years ago so I'm already on battery #2. Could this be #3?

Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Oh, you're on batt #2 already... was the replacement batt a OEM one? I had to replace the batter under warranty around 3.5 years and during the few days when I had to wait for my appointment it threw some error codes about active steering and such, i dont think I got any SMG faults but you never know...
Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

like everyone else said, it seems to be just some faulty codes.
I had the SES - Increased Emissions light on in my SMG 545 just a few weeks ago. Took it to the stealership and they pinpointed it to a software malfunction and had to update the car. There was nothing physically wrong with the car, and since the update, everything has been running smoothly.
Im guessing you're car isnt under warranty anymore, but i cant say how much it would cost simply because i dont know. Mine was covered under CPO so i only paid the $50 deductible.

I'd make an appointment fairly soon to have them check it out. Our SMG's are fabled creatures that do not cope well with any form of disturbance. haha
Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Originally Posted by pughmat' post='1022048' date='Oct 1 2009, 09:16 AM
Perhaps these problems are unrelated (or maybe they are), but for the past few weeks, my 2005 SMG 530 has been having what I would call clutch shudder in the mornings....as I pull out of the driveway and give it some gas it sputters a bit almost like the clutch was let out to soon on a regular manual...over the weekend, when I attempted to start the car and back out of a parking spot, a warning light came on and I could not shift the car out of neutral. I restarted the engine and everything was fine.

Today however, I was leaving a parking lot and had a Transmission Fail safe mode message display and only gears R, N and 1-3 are available. I turned the engine off and on and the error went away but I still can't shift past 3rd. In addition, I now have a service engine soon light on with "Increased Emissions" as the only warning.

I've been too busy to get to a shop, but I'll be heading there on Monday now. Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue and what the outcome was. With some google-based research, I found anything from a sensor, to a pump to a new tranny....hoping the latter is not the case.

My car has 75000 miles.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt
It turns out to be a faulty pump. They said it had not fully failed, but was intermittent and was failing. This may explain why the light has been coming off and on.

Anyway, just under $800 for parts and labor for a new pump.

Thanks for the help and assistance. Great forum.

Matt
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pughmat' post='1024985' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:19 AM
It turns out to be a faulty pump. They said it had not fully failed, but was intermittent and was failing. This may explain why the light has been coming off and on.

Matt

Ouch! I wonder how much one would be for an M5.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pughmat' post='1024985' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:19 AM

Matt
Wow only $800 installed? I thought it would be close to $2000 for the pump to be replaced. Certainly that's the case for the E46 M3 SMG. I know M always doubles the price for the parts but I guess this makes SMG more affordable in the long run(200k+ miles) as smg pump is the most expensive and weakest link. I don't mind ditch out $800 every 75,000miles for the pump. It's very worth it IMO.
Did you go to the dealer?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1025159' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:54 PM
Ouch! I wonder how much one would be for an M5.
I think it would be at least couple thousand bucks.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='1025165' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:01 PM
Wow only $800 installed? I thought it would be close to $2000 for the pump to be replaced. Certainly that's the case for the E46 M3 SMG. I know M always doubles the price for the parts but I guess this makes SMG more affordable in the long run(200k+ miles) as smg pump is the most expensive and weakest link. I don't mind ditch out $800 every 75,000miles for the pump. It's very worth it IMO.
Did you go to the dealer?
No...I have a very good independent BMW shop that I now use since I'm beyond my warranty. They are usually about half the cost of the dealer so I could see this being $1500+ at the dealer. My local dealer is great, just expensive. Of course, my shop doesn't have a kids play room, flat screens, donuts, drinks etc....but I can buy plently of donuts for the $800 they save me and they let me borrow one of their cars to drive. A great option to have available and know they can be trusted.

I'll post a parts and labor breakdown after I pick it up tonight.

It will be interesting to see how long these pumps last as more and more cars begin to reach the 75000 mile mark under normal driving.

Quick Reply: SMG Transmission Fail Safe