E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

I've been driving my 2005 545i with SMG for 3 weeks now. About 99% of the time I drive it in manual mode. I noticed that although I have to upshift in manual mode, I don't necessarily have to downshift manually. I noticed it when I am coasting to traffic light or intersection. Is it okay to do this? Am I damaging something by allowing this? Please let me know.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kxmills' post='666833' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:32 AM
I've been driving my 2005 545i with SMG for 3 weeks now. About 99% of the time I drive it in manual mode. I noticed that although I have to upshift in manual mode, I don't necessarily have to downshift manually. I noticed it when I am coasting to traffic light or intersection. Is it okay to do this? Am I damaging something by allowing this? Please let me know.
No damage will occur if you let it downshift for you -- as a matter of fact, that's exactly why the car is doing it for you -- to prevent damage.

I will add, however, that if you enjoy driving the SMG in manual mode, then you will probably find (as I did early on) that manually downshifting it works much better and allows greater control over everything.

Take a look at the following threads to learn more (and see more about why I prefer to manually downshift):

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17301
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=27849
Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

I'm about 60/40............60% of the time I just let the car down shift and 40% I do it. Just depends what I'm doing and the driving conditions I'm encountering.

Like Rudy says it won't wreck anything as its design to downshift automatically. Though I've noticed you may be riding the clutch more then it needs to be at times. To high of gear for the driving condition. Pefect example is you slow down to turn into your drive way that has a slight grade going up as most driveways do. The car many times will be in 2nd and as you pull up the driveway the car hesitates slightly as it rides the clutch. So I always manual downshift to first before I pull in.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup Rudy hit the nail on the head. I too let it downshift if I see that conditions will just force me to a complete stop ahead but if its just a slow down and traffic will move again before I come to a stop then I will downshift manually
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Manually downshifting is very important. Rolling to a stop, around 2 mphs, the car can get caught in between the 2-1 shift if you get back on the throttle, auch as light turning green when you were rolling up to a red. The car will rev up, dump the clutch and shoot you forward. Downsift yourself.... and hearing the throttle blips are why you got SMG, right?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by EM_5' post='667718' date='Sep 12 2008, 03:58 AM
Manually downshifting is very important. Rolling to a stop, around 2 mphs, the car can get caught in between the 2-1 shift if you get back on the throttle, auch as light turning green when you were rolling up to a red. The car will rev up, dump the clutch and shoot you forward. Downsift yourself.... and hearing the throttle blips are why you got SMG, right?
I never had that happen, I had it between 2and 1 before and if you accelerate between that theres just a lag for the car to sort out the gears. And if you know about that behavior before you accelerate you can quickly tap the downshift before accelerating. When the car is that slow It wouldn't matter what gear youre in a quick downshift to the next lower gear will work then you can figure out what gear youre in once youre moving.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Contributors

i always thought that i had to down shift on my own... so i can just let it roll say if im in 4th gear to 1st by its self...
Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='667831' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:55 AM
i always thought that i had to down shift on my own... so i can just let it roll say if im in 4th gear to 1st by its self...
Yes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EM_5' post='667718' date='Sep 12 2008, 06:58 AM
This is one of the main reasons I always advocated downshifting well before the car feels the need to...

EBMCS03, I'm surprised you've never experienced this situation before.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='668351' date='Sep 12 2008, 09:18 PM
EBMCS03, I'm surprised you've never experienced this situation before.
Where it revs up and than bangs into first? No I havent. I guess I plan better than most people when slowing down. I check out my surroundings whats ahead, and behind, if I know I'm coming to a full stop I let it downshift and if I'm just slowing and then I know I'll need to accelerate again or even anticipate I'll need to accelerate again before I come to a stop I will manually downshift... and on the rare occasions where the RPMs are less than 1200 and I do need to accelerate again I just tap for a downshift. That in itself will make it where I am not caught between gears. Quite a simple concept, nothing to be surprised about. A good driver is always aware of their surroundings and plan 5-10 seconds ahead, predict and plan, asking the question "What will I do when this happens, what will I do when that happens?" That way I'm seldom caught off guard.

Basically I've already sub-consciously planned out what to do each time I'm slowing, accelerating, passing, taking a corner etc etc and know what to do when something happens. Don't react to the situation, plan for it, plan for an escape route. When you're passing an intersection look at what cars are there, are there cars coming up? Plan, if it runs the red and doesnt stop will the timing be just right where it'll T-Bone me? If so speed up a little or slow down a little watch what it does. When you over take a car on the freeway dont just over take, is there anyone on the otherside where if the car i'm overtaking is going to change lanes into me can I move over another lane to avoide it or will I be able to go back into my lane? If not can I tap the brakes slow down enough so it goes ahead of me and I follow behind. Of course, I nor anyone can plan for ALL situations but the more you plan the better, like everything all it takes is practice. It comes natural to me, and takes no extra effort. So have I experienced a time where the tranny is caught in between gears and slams into the lower gear and jerks the whole car forward? No, not that I can recall, I dont put myself in those situations.