E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG shifts only 1st 3rd and 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone I just changed my battery and Clutch on SMG tranny. Now when I use sport (somethimes with regular mode too) HUD blinking when shifting and radio skipping.

I can also hear "trrr trrr trrr" from dash (where iDrive monitor is).
Now it became worst it's only shifts from 1st to 3rd and from 3rd to 5th gears. Did some of you had this problem. I hope it's not tranny
p.s. I got "transmission malfunction" message too but after few minutes it's gone.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did you use an OEM battery or something else?

My bet is that you have two problems...

The blinking HUD and skipping radio is a sign of the car not having enough electrical power to deal with everything. When the SMG shifts, it needs a certain amount of power and the car will turn off anything it feels isn't as high a priority so that the tranny can shift without any issues.
(Have you seen the following thread? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=22150)

The problem you're having with only using the odd numbered gears is probably related to the clutch changeout.

Again, I'm purely speculating here but if I were a betting man, that's where my money would be...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='552596' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:20 PM
Did you use an OEM battery or something else?

My bet is that you have two problems...

The blinking HUD and skipping radio is a sign of the car not having enough electrical power to deal with everything. When the SMG shifts, it needs a certain amount of power and the car will turn off anything it feels isn't as high a priority so that the tranny can shift without any issues.
(Have you seen the following thread? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=22150)

The problem you're having with only using the odd numbered gears is probably related to the clutch changeout.

Again, I'm purely speculating here but if I were a betting man, that's where my money would be...
No I didn't use OEM I used aftermarket, but best quality.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vip_motors' post='552637' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:13 AM
No I didn't use OEM I used aftermarket, but best quality.
Except that in this case, it seems that best quality may not be enough quality (or enough quantity, depending on how you look at it...)
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

what if he was to use a dry cell optimum battery?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='552647' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:42 AM
what if he was to use a dry cell optimum battery?
If you are directing that question to me, I have no idea. All I know is that the behavior he's describing is related to a weak battery...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

yes I was, and the only reason why I do ask is that I was thinking of switching to that particular type, so that I can avoid these issues in the future.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

Reguarding the clutch change out, that shouldn't be the issue, becuae it's just like any other clutch in a manual transmission car. There is nothign special about it.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='552653' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:48 AM
Reguarding the clutch change out, that shouldn't be the issue, becuae it's just like any other clutch in a manual transmission car. There is nothign special about it.
That's correct but I don't know if something else was disturbed during the install. I suppose it's possible that some electronic module or some hydraulic component is messed up and doesn't allow the even numbered gears to engage. (Also, if there is something electronic that's screwed up, it could be drawing too much current during a shift which means that the battery may be okay...)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

As long as the battery meets or exceeds the output specifications of the original battery there should be no problem. It is probable that the aftermarket battery your bought might be the same manufacturer of the "BMW" battery as well. I do remember reading that you want to keep a power source connected before you remove and reinstall the battery so you don't have to reinitialize certain components. The TCU (transmission control unit)might be one of these components. Rudy is correct in that the a SMG shift requires a lot of voltage and if you meter certain circuits the voltage sinks and spike with every shift.

Quick Reply: SMG shifts only 1st 3rd and 5th gear