E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.
Unhappy

After reading a few of the recent posts, I am now worried about the reliability of the SMG. I have new order in for a 530 with SMG. Are these problems exclusive to the 550 or 545? Or is the 530 included. I have read the TIS on the SMG and it describes the differences in the clutch actuator for both engines.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

haven't had a problem on mine yet
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Members

I had a problem with mine shortly after delivery but since then it has been fine. To be honest, though, I'm not sure I'd get it again. Although I love the rev-matching downshifts, I still have problems with smooth operation through the gears on upshifts. I also question the long-term reliability of these units.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Members here love their SMG to death, but afraid of reliability after warranty.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Mine's been perfect so far and I took delivery of one of the earlier units. I realize there are people who have posted problems but I think there are many more problem-free cars...
Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Members

One has to realize that E60 forum members probably represent a very minute fraction of E60 members. The odds are that there are regular E60 SMG owners that are having problems and it never gets reported in our forums. The important point here is the fact that numerous dealers are not recommending the SMG transmission perhaps because they see a higher than normal rate of failure, when compared to other transmissions.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='277168' date='May 2 2006, 06:54 PM
Mine's been perfect so far and I took delivery of one of the earlier units. I realize there are people who have posted problems but I think there are many more problem-free cars...
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know for sure but I think the dealers discourage SMG's because many people probably buy them thinking that they'll be like an automatic and are extremely disappointed. They'll then complain to the dealer about how they hate it, they'll trade it in, and the dealer won't be able to resell it because the majority of people don't want or don't understand the concept of the SMG. The dealers probably figure that it's not worth it to go through all of that so they discourage the whole thing from the start.

I don't think it has anything to do with reliability -- SMG's have been around for some time and have been tested enough to be reliable enough for the masses. For every SMG problem that isn't reported on this board, there are probably many more happy, problem-free SMG owners that are not reporting anything on this board.

I know it's not scientific but take a look at the SMG problem poll:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12220
Old 05-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've got 43K "spirited" miles on my 545i SMG and I have yet to have an SMG related issue. The transmission has been reliable and I was even commenting to myself today that it still has a nice firm shift. Would I get one again - absolutely!

I wonder if some of the people having "issues" with the SMG try to torque-brake as if it was an auto??????
Old 05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Good point realtyman. I assume when you say "torque-brake" you're referring to something like using the gas to hold the car stationary on a hill (like riding the clutch in a manual.)

I'm sure many people do that and it's clearly something that will cause damage or problems...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey Rudy,

I've never done it on my E-60 'cuz I know it's a "Manual" (although I've done it on many slush-box trannies in my past).
Same as using the go-pedal to keep it from rolling back on a hill.
Could be just me, but I think that many SMG "issues" may be a result of "operator error".

Quick Reply: SMG Problems?