E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG Problem, Clutch Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all,

Just leased a new 05 545 SMG April 16, 2005 (silver grey and black interior). My third BMW and second 5. Yesterday, I has a scheduled appointment for Sirius install that ended up being more serious for two other issues that have manifested in less than 400 miles.

1st and most alarming. While in traffic due to an accident in sport mode, car stalled out twice (less than 15 minutes, slight uphill grade) with the overheated clutch warning being displayed. I did smell a an order with the windows down that reminded me of a barbecue but thought it was just in the wind.

2nd. Valve "ticking" sound on cold start and afterwards under 2000 rpm, especially evident up the driveway which has a fairly steep incline. I have reviewed previous threads here regarding this issue and provided relevant info to service department.

Now a day later, dealer can not diagnose the SMG problem and has even whispered new tranny. No feedback as to how long my new car will be tied up, no progress on what I assume is a valve issue and Sirius is the least of my problems.

Any advice /help/guidance would be much appreciated. :'( :'( :'(
Old 04-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome richu.

You may have a problem with the SMG but just to be sure, I wanted to point out something that is a no-no in traffic: Don't use the gas pedal to hold the car on an uphill grade (like you can do with an automatic). If you do this, the clutch will overheat and you will smell it for sure. You need to hold the car on the hill with the footbrake and only gas when you are able to move forward...
Old 04-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 29 2005, 02:40 PM
Welcome richu.

You may have a problem with the SMG but just to be sure, I wanted to point out something that is a no-no in traffic:? Don't use the gas pedal to hold the car on an uphill grade (like you can do with an automatic).? If you do this, the clutch will overheat and you will smell it for sure.? You need to hold the car on the hill with the footbrake and only gas when you are able to move forward...
[snapback]121944[/snapback]
Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

Sorry about the double post Rudy. Thanks for your input and I was riding the friction point like a true manual transmission prior to the overheating. Any potential for permanent damage?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely premature clutch wear -- just like if you ride the clutch in a traditional manual. On either model, you're not supposed to do it...
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Thanks Rudy...I probably would have done this from time to time. Now, I know better. This will be the first manual that I will own, and I am looking forward to it...plus, I now know how to prevent premature clutch wear...Thanks Again!
Old 04-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Dude!! what are you guys thinking??? The SMG is a manual tranny at heart, so THINK MANUAL when you drive.

Yeah, like rudy said, don't ride on the clutch

cheers,

beewang
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Members

Come on beewang, with a true manual....far easier to ride the clutch at friction point then to play the brake, clutch, accelerator game....and not an issue with clutch wear/degradation in many manuals I have owned or heard of from other manual junkies. 300 miles and a worn out clutch is absurd and very frustrating!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

richu, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Are you saying that with a true (traditional) manual you can ride the clutch without degradation?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
JDN
Contributors

I always wanted one of those titanium clutches.

Quick Reply: SMG Problem, Clutch Overheating