E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Paddle Shift Done for my 530i Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must be a thrill to drive
Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by my530i' post='253606' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:56 AM
It's 4 weeks to everything from scratch. Also, BMW electrical diagram is not accurate, and testing with DMM must be done or airbag light will light up

Man wish you were in So Cal then I would ask you to swap out my wheel for me.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by my530i' post='253590' date='Mar 12 2006, 02:53 AM
Paddle shifting only works when in DS mode means that we need to shift the lever shifter to DS. Paddle shifter won't have any effect when in D mode.

Studying BMW wiring diagram and testing are painful, but installation is just a snap. The good thing is I have a pretty good electrical/electronics/digital background

Let me know if you have any more question

Best Regards
Can you post the installation procedure/photos/wiring ?

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by my530i' post='253606' date='Mar 12 2006, 04:56 AM
It's 4 weeks to everything from scratch. Also, BMW electrical diagram is not accurate, and testing with DMM must be done or airbag light will light up
then something is wrong. With Hobi's instalation there is no need for coding and DMM testing at all.
also I must mention that no wire cutting at all with Hobi's stuff, all plug-n-play....

SMG Paddle Shift Done for my 530i Automatic-img_1776.jpg
Old 03-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

It looks fantastic!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='255110' date='Mar 15 2006, 08:26 AM
then something is wrong. With Hobi's instalation there is no need for coding and DMM testing at all.
also I must mention that no wire cutting at all with Hobi's stuff, all plug-n-play....
Attachment 16592
The way you say is just like BMW build the car is just a few days. Why does it take a new car company spend 2 years to develop a new car

The installation is no need for coding and no DMM testing is needed, but for developing the kit using DMM is a must even just installing a new amp.

Remember I asked you how Hobi did it for you and you said it's proprietery? So, I stopped asking, and went to other forum to find out how they did it. Search for information takes time, too. The first Step to SMG mod was done on 3-series, then X5, etc. and it rippled through. That information is all over on the internet.
After gathering those ideas and informations, I need to get the BMW wiring diagram, and do some testing with DMM to see if circuits behave the way it should be. Once I knew how circuit function, I jump wiring and do real testing, and put thing together so that all wiring look neat and nice without dangling behind dashboard.

I was waiting for too long for Hobi's kit, and I ran out of patience. That was why I develop this kit. I don't want to spend $700 to pay Mr Paddle Shift just for a pair of wire and two paddles.
During developing and researching for this mod, I came up with so many other mod ideas. I have upgraded my US std sound system which amazed many Bay Area members here that we met last week. I'm in the process of adding rearview camera, DVD players, mini mac in dash, etc.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by my530i' post='255212' date='Mar 15 2006, 10:47 AM
The way you say is just like BMW build the car is just a few days. Why does it take a new car company spend 2 years to develop a new car

The installation is no need for coding and no DMM testing is needed, but for developing the kit using DMM is a must even just installing a new amp.

Remember I asked you how Hobi did it for you and you said it's proprietery? So, I stopped asking, and went to other forum to find out how they did it. Search for information takes time, too. The first Step to SMG mod was done on 3-series, then X5, etc. and it rippled through. That information is all over on the internet.
After gathering those ideas and informations, I need to get the BMW wiring diagram, and do some testing with DMM to see if circuits behave the way it should be. Once I knew how circuit function, I jump wiring and do real testing, and put thing together so that all wiring look neat and nice without dangling behind dashboard.

I was waiting for too long for Hobi's kit, and I ran out of patience. That was why I develop this kit. I don't want to spend $700 to pay Mr Paddle Shift just for a pair of wire and two paddles.
During developing and researching for this mod, I came up with so many other mod ideas. I have upgraded my US std sound system which amazed many Bay Area members here that we met last week. I'm in the process of adding rearview camera, DVD players, mini mac in dash, etc.
I agree developing it from scratch you need to know what the system is doing. weither its reading hi or lo during upshifts or downshifts where each wire is connected to and all that cannot be done with/out a Multimeter. Even if I had the drawing it might not be clear which wires which verifying should be done. I give you props for doing it.

HEY want to do mine for me? if I drive up to SF? I do NOT want to mess with it myself even if "I can" do it...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Contributors

The problem is I cannot see real wiring of your SMG. If someone in Bay Area let me have a look at it, I can do the mod easily. One thing I want to guarantee that if airbag light or whatever false come up during testing or installation, I have the technology to clear it up just like dealer does
Eric,
Probably, we can do it when we have North and South CA meet at Yosemite? I can do mod for those with Steps if they're interested.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='255477' date='Mar 15 2006, 10:18 PM
The problem is I cannot see real wiring of your SMG. If someone in Bay Area let me have a look at it, I can do the mod easily. One thing I want to guarantee that if airbag light or whatever false come up during testing or installation, I have the technology to clear it up just like dealer does

Oh ya... little difference... *sigh* oh wells... should be easy... since I have paddles already the wiring is there... just move all the pull signals for upshift to the right paddle and all the push signals for downshift to the left paddle. Swap airbag module and all done. I already have the round airbag module...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Contributors

In push/pull SMG, push and pull signal travel through only one wire. Not two wires as you assume. However, if I can measure the voltage at the output wire to see how it behaves when I push/pull the rocker, I can make the wire loom properly for conversion. This kind of installation will take only 10-15 minutes to do after everything is sorting out. However, time to test the signal and recognize the right wire take more time because color code in BMW wiring diagram does not match with the one in production.

Quick Reply: SMG Paddle Shift Done for my 530i Automatic