E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Owners This Ones for You

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 06:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Off I would like to thank a fellow Member Rob who took time yesterday to meet me and show me his 545SMG and offered a nice test drive.

Well Im sold I really think since its a no charge item I should get it.

Here is my issue I called my dealer yesterday The car I had them get is in and ready to pick up.

They are trying to locate another SMG but so far the response was, Not GOOD.

Possibly March Delivery and I can not wait any longer, so Ill keep my fingers crossed for now until he does a broader search Monday morning.

Well the questions I have are:

On the SMG I see there is one Auto Mode just verify that.

Now the Sport Button does that change the shift patterns at all with the Rev Limiter, I didnt pay much attention yesterday to it.

Are there multiple shift modes to select and explain how.

What I would like to know I love the M3 SMG can this E60 system be tweaked with some practice to drive it like a race car?

I never let off the throttle in my shifts, I like superfast gearchages and enough force to bog me out of my chair, thats just me, I get thrills of of this. Especially when I have a girl Im Im dating giving me a hard time touching every button and annoying me it really shuts them up and keeps them in there seat, LOL.

I did notice there is a delay in between shifts, maybe I was in the wrong mode or is there only 1?

It was raining out but I still got the car up to 90mph On the Parkway, and I didnt let off the gas, it still felt cool, but I wonder if it can be any quicker.

It is all software related, very obvious on a Ferrari too, 360 Modena Shifts the same way, the ENZO like the M3 very different animals alltogether.

I wonder if DINAN will do a software for this, I know Porsche Tuners do for Tiptronic Cars.

I would develop software for it myself but I dont want to open a can of worms with other faults these cars are very complicated in there scehmatics of wiring and computer systems.

So fill in some coments Please!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 AM
Contributors

All your answers are searchable.
to make it very simple. Sport wil shift your gears a lot quicker for you Auto mode sux if you want it to drive like a real auromatic. Only used it once to say it worked.

Hope this helps
Old 11-21-2004, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:12 AM
Well the questions I have are:

On the SMG I see there is one Auto Mode just verify that.

Yes, one Auto mode.

Now the Sport Button does that change the shift patterns at all with the Rev Limiter, I didnt pay much attention yesterday to it.
Sport mode allows for quicker shifts and also an increased throttle response.

Are there multiple shift modes to select and explain how.
There are essentially two modes that can be set two different ways to yield four modes: Manual, Auto, Sport Manual, Sport Auto.

What I would like to know I love the M3 SMG can this E60 system be tweaked with some practice to drive it like a race car?
The E60 SMG is not as quick as teh M3 SMG but having said that, with practice you can still have tons of fun with it.

I never let off the throttle in my shifts, I like superfast gearchages and enough force to bog me out of my chair, thats just me, I get thrills of of this. Especially when I have a girl Im Im dating giving me a hard time touching every button and annoying me it really shuts them up and keeps them in there seat, LOL.
Because the shifts are a bit slower than the M3, the "bogs" can be larger in the E60.

I did notice there is a delay in between shifts, maybe I was in the wrong mode or is there only 1?
The delay varies depending on mode, rpm, etc.? Again, it's slower than the M3 but still quite acceptable for a car of this size.

It was raining out but I still got the car up to 90mph On the Parkway, and I didnt let off the gas, it still felt cool, but I wonder if it can be any quicker.
Are you asking if the car can go quicker than 90mph?? Yes, it can.

It is all software related, very obvious on a Ferrari too, 360 Modena Shifts the same way, the ENZO like the M3 very different animals alltogether.
Is there a question here?

I wonder if DINAN will do a software for this, I know Porsche Tuners do for Tiptronic Cars.
I'm not Steve Dinan but I thought I already heard a rumor about a software update that will make normal mode be like sport and sport mode be much quicker.

I would develop software for it myself but I dont want to open a can of worms with other faults these cars are very complicated in there scehmatics of wiring and computer systems.
You got it!
[snapback]58832[/snapback]
Old 11-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

2004rtype, hope your dealer can find you one tomorrow. the sooner you get the car, the more fun you'll have .
Old 11-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Members

Thanks for the detailed input, the more I think of it, maybe I should just take the steptronic for now, I am only planning to keep the car about 22 months

I have a order for a Aston martin AMv8 hope the put the blower on the Jag Motor when its ready from production.

I figure I can save my neurotic driving habbits for a true sports coupe. LOL

I also Love the Maserati GranSport,

the M3 is like a little toy I swear I drive that car as if i was driving a Ferrari Stradale, I kick the crap out of it, no radio, nothing then I get out all beat up and laughing, its great.

For the money the M3 is kinda cool, except every HS kid has one by now so its not very exclusive.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 21 2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the detailed input, the more I think of it, maybe I should just take the steptronic for now, I am only planning to keep the car about 22 months

I have a order for a Aston martin AMv8 hope the put the blower on the Jag Motor when its ready from production.

I figure I can save my neurotic driving habbits for a true sports coupe. LOL

I also Love the Maserati GranSport,

the M3 is like a little toy I swear I drive that car as if i was driving a Ferrari Stradale, I kick the crap out of it, no radio, nothing then I get out all beat up and laughing, its great.

For the money the M3 is kinda cool, except every HS kid has one by now so its not very exclusive.
[snapback]59087[/snapback]
but i know you can make it exclusive. you know what i mean ?