E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

I hate having to explain to idiots the difference between an SMG and a steptronic. People say that an SMG is the same as a steptronic but that SMG just has the paddels. I tell them that the SMG is just like a Manual, but the clutch is engaged electronically rather that the manual paddel used in true Manuels. Another thing I am annoyed with is that people look down on SMGs just because they dont understand. To get to the point, i just wanted to vent some fustrations that I experienced over the past week from people who know nothing about the SMG. I hear about a lot of people putting the paddle shifters on their steptronics. How are the results from this and is it comparable to the SMG??
Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For more info on SMG and steptronic transmission, go to howstuffworks.com and search for it. A lot of info there.
I've never driven SMG, so I don't know how fast it is. I haveboth regular and M5 SMG paddles installed to work with Steptronics, and I feel it's a bit quicker than using shifter due to shorter paddle travel distance. Of course, shifting SMG paddle on steptronic transmission is very smooth compared to SMG beginner. A good SMG driver will shift very smoothly. Other members here who have my paddle shift kit installed on their car can provide their inputs here.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='299924' date='Jun 19 2006, 04:27 PM
I hate having to explain to idiots the difference between an SMG and a steptronic. People say that an SMG is the same as a steptronic but that SMG just has the paddels. I tell them that the SMG is just like a Manual, but the clutch is engaged electronically rather that the manual paddel used in true Manuels. Another thing I am annoyed with is that people look down on SMGs just because they dont understand. To get to the point, i just wanted to vent some fustrations that I experienced over the past week from people who know nothing about the SMG. I hear about a lot of people putting the paddle shifters on their steptronics. How are the results from this and is it comparable to the SMG??
Don't let other people's ignorance get to you. All you have to tell them is "Sequential Manual Gearbox", with emphasis on the Manual.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

just tell them that smg shifts faster than automatics/steptronics and its what f1 cars have.

if they're still not conviced, have them ride with in your car and use acceleration assist (launch control)
Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had that problem, too. Part of it is that F1 racing is not popular in the US, racing stock cars with technology from the 70s is....
Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If the F1 line doesn't work, you could say it's like the transmission that they put in some exotic cars like Ferrari, Maserati, etc.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I get that problem too I tried and tried... now I'm just tired so i go ya. its like auto and just walk away... they dont need to know. if they asked... not like they'll ever get one so who cares...

YA Rudy! thats right. Say its like cars in Ferrari and Maserati! Wooo hoo!

houbmw: How they're different? Autos with the paddle are still auto. nothing bad... but theres still the tq converter that you can feel and is slushy... haha sorry but its true... its lazy when you're not on the car hard... normal driving the shifts are very lazy. you can feel the cars transmission not 100% locked up during easy crusing drives when you're on and off the gas slightly... I prefer the SMG lock up on the transmission with the rear wheels. Makes the car feel tighter.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 smg, Silver Grey, 18" rims, sport seat,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299973' date='Jun 19 2006, 08:07 PM
Ya I get that problem too I tried and tried... now I'm just tired so i go ya. its like auto and just walk away... they dont need to know. if they asked... not like they'll ever get one so who cares...
YA Rudy! thats right. Say its like cars in Ferrari and Maserati! Wooo hoo!

houbmw: How they're different? Autos with the paddle are still auto. nothing bad... but theres still the tq converter that you can feel and is slushy... haha sorry but its true... its lazy when you're not on the car hard... normal driving the shifts are very lazy. you can feel the cars transmission not 100% locked up during easy crusing drives when you're on and off the gas slightly... I prefer the SMG lock up on the transmission with the rear wheels. Makes the car feel tighter.
I read about smg, and no doubt it , it is better than steptronic, may be you have to spend a while to handle properly but after that you love it. I have everything in my car I can drive in automatic , I can use like manual transmision. I love it. NEXT CAR SMG again
Old 06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

I havent even took delivery of my car and am already standing up for SMG! WHats going to happen when I actualy do get my car??
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Members

Or, you can find out the wrong way like my borther in law did...

Stopped at a redlight uphill. Decided to release his brake, with the lock up that last for 2 second, he thought the car was like an auto where it will creep up without gas. 2 seconds up, and the car rolls back... before he realized it and hit the brakes, there is a scratch on the bumper from the car behind....

Never let your in-laws touch your $70,000 car....