E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

To SMG or not to SMG, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Mar 15 2005, 04:07 AM
I know that people say the SMG automatic mode is jerky, but for the rare times that you want to use it, how bad is it really?? Will it truly be an unpleasant ride, or is it just not as smooth as the Steptronic?
[snapback]101713[/snapback]
Seems like I am in the minority here... I test drove an SMG and really didn't like the auto mode - I think it depends if you are going to get SMG as a replacement for a manual box or an auto box - I spend quite a bit of time in traffic, and on the phone - I really like the steptronic for engine braking and for kickdown, but aside from that I don't think the steptronic box is good enough to be used as a manual (unlike the 997 tiptronic box).

If you don't want to be clutch pumping but still want the control of changing gears, I suspect SMG is the perfect answer - I could never see myself using it in full auto very often though.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

[snapback]101544[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have heard that the Europeans are all over the SMG and that BMW has plans of phasing out manuals. Any info to support that?
[snapback]101576[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't think this is true, in fact I've never heard of an SMG E60 over here, have never seen one advertised and only seen one in a 6 series. Certainly in the UK automatic is almost obligatory unless on a basic spec 525i/525d/530d and a 545i without auto would be almost impossible to sell in a couple of years time. I had SMG on my M3 and think it's fantastic but is not really as well suited to the 5 series character as an auto, I think more than 50% of 5 series sold in Europe are diesls which SMG is not an option for as well.

Someone else posted that they couldn't control thier car with an auto? That's what DS is for, but you certainly shouldn't be out of control even in the regular auto mode. Try braking in a straight line and accelerating through the corners...you may just notice a difference.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Members

I too have only driven manuals in the past. I never use SMG in auto mode (neither does my wife who also prefers manuals). And I always use it with the sport button on.

I feel like I have given up zero control losing the clutch. Once you get used to the SMG, you can control the speed of the upshift with the throttle. If you ease up on the throttle, you will get a smooth slow clutch engagement. I you nail the throttle on upshift, you will get the next gear instantaneously.

And the downshifts have to be experienced (and heard) to be believed. The ability to smoothly downshift into first on 90 degree turns is amazing.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

Based on the recommendations on this board, I decided to get SMG and not the Steptronic. Why? Because with SMG you get:

- Better Fuel Efficiency, without having to settle for a manual transmission.
- Better performance vs. Step.
- More efficient use of engine power, since Step. is an auto, it will rob upto 4% of your engines power.
- Auto mode which means you have to best of both worlds (manual and Step.)

Since, there were no SMG in the area, I had to order it and wait over 2 months for the car to arrive. But, now I realize that it was worth it. I've had the car now for 2 weeks and it gets better everyday. The SMG does take a while to adapt to it. But, I feel that now, I can shift very smoothly.

About the auto mode. Last weekend, my wife and I and the kids went out for a drive. She was very hesitant to drive the new car as it was not 'an automatic.' But, with some coaching from me, she was driving the car in auto mode with no problems. After a while she actually started to enjoy the steering, handling, shifting. She said it felt like a sports car.

My suggestion for auto mode is to have it in 'sport' so that the shifting is much quicker. If not, there's a bit of a lag in between gears which people decribe as head bobbing. The shifts are at about 3k rpm, knowing that, you can lightly let of the pedal as it shifts and reapply when you are in the next gear. This makes for a very smooth transition in auto mode. I went out to lunch with my work collegues and had the car in auto mode, they didn't even realize that it was not an automatic.

So if you use this technique, the SMG will give you the best of both worlds.

Highly recommended.

Leonard.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 15 2005, 05:38 AM
I have heard that the Europeans are all over the SMG and that BMW has plans of phasing out manuals.? Any info to support that?
[snapback]101576[/snapback]
i think not - i live in sweden and considered buying a very slightly used 545 and shave off that initial depreciation - but there isnt a single e60 smg to be bought. either everyone LOVES their smg, or noone is buying them.

also - all of the cars that can be found (at dealers, new and used), are steps. i dont think we get the sticks over here, which is weird - almost everyone drives one in sweden.

Originally Posted by a061444
Based on the recommendations on this board, I decided to get SMG and not the Steptronic. Why? Because with SMG you get:

- Better Fuel Efficiency, without having to settle for a manual transmission.
- Better performance vs. Step.
- More efficient use of engine power, since Step. is an auto, it will rob upto 4% of your engines power.
- Auto mode which means you have to best of both worlds (manual and Step.)

Since, there were no SMG in the area, I had to order it and wait over 2 months for the car to arrive. But, now I realize that it was worth it. I've had the car now for 2 weeks and it gets better everyday. The SMG does take a while to adapt to it. But, I feel that now, I can shift very smoothly.

About the auto mode. Last weekend, my wife and I and the kids went out for a drive. She was very hesitant to drive the new car as it was not 'an automatic.' But, with some coaching from me, she was driving the car in auto mode with no problems. After a while she actually started to enjoy the steering, handling, shifting. She said it felt like a sports car.

My suggestion for auto mode is to have it in 'sport' so that the shifting is much quicker. If not, there's a bit of a lag in between gears which people decribe as head bobbing. The shifts are at about 3k rpm, knowing that, you can lightly let of the pedal as it shifts and reapply when you are in the next gear. This makes for a very smooth transition in auto mode. I went out to lunch with my work collegues and had the car in auto mode, they didn't even realize that it was not an automatic.

So if you use this technique, the SMG will give you the best of both worlds.

Highly recommended.

Leonard.
hell - ive never driven one, and cant (as i cant test drive till the spring), but im sold and ordering blind.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: On order for November Delivery - 550 !!!! - Currently own 1999 E39 540, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, black on black. Previous owner of 2000 M Coupe, 1996 328is, 1984 633csi, 1982 528e, and wifed owned 1999 528 touring and 2002 525 touring. Looking at buying 545 or 550 in fall of 2005.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 15 2005, 12:20 AM
Never owned an automatic either.? From now on, SMG all the way...

ManyBMWS, are you sold yet?
[snapback]101687[/snapback]

What a great response to my original post. Thanks a lot, everyone. After reading this thread, and several others on the subject, yes, I am convinced that SMG is for me. I will probably test drive another SMG in the near future and order the car for late fall delivery. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to help out. Please don't forget about us when you get your car -- I'll be anxious to hear what your impressions of the car are when you get it and then again, after you've had it a month or so...

Good luck!