E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG / manual questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Olivin Green w/Beige Interior, smg, sports package, nav, hud, comfort seats, sirius, cold weather pkg, fold down seats, rear heat and airbags

I'm trying to decide whether to go with the SMG or manual on a new 550i.

I've read the threads where people seem to like their SMG. I'm still on the fence so I have a few questions for the SMG/manual crowd:

- At times I like to push in the clutch and roll to a stop at intersections or when stopping the car. Can you / how do you select neutral on the SMG? Does the SMG switch into neutral when the car slows near a stop?

- On the 745 I've played with the steering wheel steptronic gear switching. This is better than a normal automatic but not nearly as much fun as switching gears manually. My question - Is the SMG fun like a manual or is it more like a more responsive steering wheel controlled steptronic?

- On the brochures the SMG has what looks like metallic inserts on the bottom spoke of the steering wheel that I think look great. Does the manual steering wheel look like the SMG or is it just the black plastic/rubber stuff?

- Does the SMG still include the launch assist feature?

Thanks for the input - I just want to get off the fence.

-- Dieter
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by dieterm' date='Aug 26 2005, 12:12 PM

I've read the threads where people seem to like their SMG.? I'm still on the fence so I have a few questions for the SMG/manual crowd:

- At times I like to push in the clutch and roll to a stop at intersections or when stopping the car.? Can you / how do you select neutral on the SMG?? Does the SMG switch into neutral when the car slows near a stop?

You Still have that option. You can bump the gear shift into neutral and roll and roll and roll.

- On the 745 I've played with the steering wheel steptronic gear switching.? This is better than a normal automatic but not nearly as much fun as switching gears manually.? My question - Is the SMG fun like a manual or is it more like a more responsive steering wheel controlled steptronic?

IMO, it's fun to flip the levers shifting up and even more fun to flip them shifting down for perfect downshifts. OTOH, I don't feel like I have as much control as I had with the stick.

- On the brochures the SMG has what looks like metallic inserts on the bottom spoke of the steering wheel that I think look great.? Does the manual steering wheel look like the SMG or is it just the black plastic/rubber stuff?

[COLOR=blue]I don't know, but betting it's a nice wheel.[/COLOR=blue]

[COLOR=blue]Don't know, but it's not something that you want to do a lot of.[/COLOR=blue]

--? Dieter
[snapback]163683[/snapback]
Old 08-26-2005, 10:20 AM
JDN
Contributors

DOH!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, dieterm!

SMG production is on hold until October. My hope is they'd put in SMG from M3, and I'll order it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dieterm' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:12 AM

I've read the threads where people seem to like their SMG.? I'm still on the fence so I have a few questions for the SMG/manual crowd:

- At times I like to push in the clutch and roll to a stop at intersections or when stopping the car.? Can you / how do you select neutral on the SMG?? Does the SMG switch into neutral when the car slows near a stop?

- On the 745 I've played with the steering wheel steptronic gear switching.? This is better than a normal automatic but not nearly as much fun as switching gears manually.? My question - Is the SMG fun like a manual or is it more like a more responsive steering wheel controlled steptronic?

- On the brochures the SMG has what looks like metallic inserts on the bottom spoke of the steering wheel that I think look great.? Does the manual steering wheel look like the SMG or is it just the black plastic/rubber stuff?

--? Dieter
[snapback]163683[/snapback]
1. Move the SMG stick to the left, you are in neutral.
2. SMG is like a manual without the clutch.
3. don't understand your question on the look
4. Launch control, i believe was never avialalbe on the none-m cars. Since none M cars does not get BMW-Siemens SMG design. The regular SMG uses milie miligia (can't spell it) design. In the US, the european launch control is not available in the M. The US M gets a detuned version that allows you to launch at a whopping 1.8k RPM vs 4k RPM on the euro version.

Personally I will take manual over SMG.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Acceleration Assist (Launch Control, whatever) in action: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15139
Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
edl
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

First off, welcome. I am fairly new and had the same prediciment. Rudy has some great threads on SMG, in particular a .pdf from bmw on how it works.

From the research i did, smg is a variant on a manual...not a variant of an automatic. in fact, the service dept at the dealer said the only trouble they had with smg were folks that thought they could put it in auto and drive an extended period of time - automatic is meant (according to him!) for short durations, when there won't be much shifting.

others said that there was a slight lag on engagement from a dead stop; others mentioned that you could go through multiple gear changes in a row (but linear, 1,2,3...can't jump from 1 to 3).

most that responded to me really had good things to say about smg, particularly the way in which the program matches engine speed and transmission speed for smoother shifts.

i thought (and think) that smg will become more prevelant if you are buying and not leasing, it may have better resale value.

also, it was a 1500 (or so upgrade) for all cars where it isn't std - so if you are getting a model where you can get the transmission for no extra cost (e.g., 545 when it was available), there seems to be added value in buying an smg.

having said all of that, when it came time for me to buy, i was strictly bargain hunting and was able to get a much better deal on a manual 545 than an smg and that's what i ended up with -- i am at 1170 mi and just about to tear (slowly) out of the breakin period - i love the car. that being said, rudy convinced me to buy smg and had the dollars been the same, i would have given it a try.

as for your questions

I've read the threads where people seem to like their SMG. I'm still on the fence so I have a few questions for the SMG/manual crowd:

- At times I like to push in the clutch and roll to a stop at intersections or when stopping the car. Can you / how do you select neutral on the SMG? Does the SMG switch into neutral when the car slows near a stop? [[as stated above, you can pop over to neutral and roll...]]

- On the 745 I've played with the steering wheel steptronic gear switching. This is better than a normal automatic but not nearly as much fun as switching gears manually. My question - Is the SMG fun like a manual or is it more like a more responsive steering wheel controlled steptronic? [[as per my comments above, my understanding is that it is much more like an manual than a steptronic]]

- On the brochures the SMG has what looks like metallic inserts on the bottom spoke of the steering wheel that I think look great. Does the manual steering wheel look like the SMG or is it just the black plastic/rubber stuff? [[my 05 545 has the same metallic trim there (i have a sport package) - so not sure if it is there due to sport package, manual or both...but i've got that trim piece.]]

Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 26 2005, 01:28 PM
Acceleration Assist (Launch Control, whatever) in action: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15139
[snapback]163767[/snapback]
i stand corrected.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SMG is awesome. I've already posted so much about SMG that I'm going to stop now.

Just start reading the SMG FAQ topic and then read any/all links you find in that thread. If, after all that you can't decide, then I'm afraid you'll have to toss a coin...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Olivin Green w/Beige Interior, smg, sports package, nav, hud, comfort seats, sirius, cold weather pkg, fold down seats, rear heat and airbags

I understand that people enjoy their SMG's. It seems so cool. But I worry that I might have withdrawal after the new coolness factor wears off. I ask myself sometimes why I want to manually switch through my gears instead of "growing up" to the acclaimed steptronic. But as I was tooling down the road yesterday in my '93 325i 5 spd it is clear as it always is - rowing through your gears feeling the total control over your car and its beautiful engine is just plain fun.

Let me put it this way. Do those of you out there that always had and sworn by manual trannys (a reason I haven't looked at any other car other than a 5) and switched to a 5 series SMG get the same thrill out of switching your gears that you used to? Is the SMG as much fun even after the first few months for the manual enthusiasts?

-- Dieter

Quick Reply: SMG / manual questions