E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: SMG, manual or auto mode?
1.Always use manual mode, paddle shifters, sport button on
30.00%
2.Same as above, sport button off
30.00%
3.Always use manual mode, stick shifter, sport button on
10.00%
4.Same as above, sport button off
5.00%
5.Use both manual and auto modes, sport button on
10.00%
6.Same as above, sport button off
5.00%
7.Always use auto mode, sport button on
0%
8.Same as above, sport button off
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

SMG, manual or auto mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

When I ordered the car, I thought I would be split between manual and auto mode. What I have found out is that I only use the manual mode and the paddle shifters. I always use the sport setting as well.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well, I guess I fall into the cracks somewhere.

I always use manual mode but I use both sport and normal modes depending on moods and passenger personality. I also find myself using both paddles and shifter depending on the situation.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:28 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By golly I got my vote in that time. Thanks, Rudy. I figgered the null vote did me in on the age poll. Means I'll be counted with the whippersnappers, dagnabit. ala circa Gabby Hayes.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I am currently considering buying a 545i SMG, what are the pro's and con's. I know how to drive manual, but my wife doesn't. We have owned a 325i with Septronic and loved it. I am concerned the SMG is going to be too agressive for everyday driving. My inlaws just purchased an M3 with SMG and their only complaint is the SMG is very agressive and jumpy when driving. I have been told the 545 has been toned down from the M3, but I haven't even seen a 545I SMG in California yet.

Maybe someone can take a trip to Orange County to give me a drive. Road Trip anyone?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You're right, the SMG on the E60 is different than the one on the M3 although "toned down" may be misleading. Any SMG can be tricky to learn so it's hard to simply say that the 5 series version is less 'jumpy' (although it's hard to say for sure.)

Read this thread for some additional information regarding the pros and cons...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Contributors

I have only used the sport shifting 3 times now. Usually the only time I use the shifter is if I need to shift while turning or I revert back to my old manual days and forget I have paddles. Allzheimers is already kicking in.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jul 31 2004, 08:42 PM
I am currently considering buying a 545i SMG, what are the pro's and con's.

Maybe someone can take a trip to Orange County to give me a drive. Road Trip anyone?
There has been a long thread concerning SMG / steptronic / manual with us discussing the pros and cons. If you do a little search you should be able to find it.

Off topic: Do you live near the Teutels (orange county choppers)??? I love that series hehehe

Get the damn bike done!!!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Sorry missed rudy's post with the link to the thread...
Old 08-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Be careful to search for and read posts from people that actually own a E60 SMG. I purchased mine without ever driving an E60 with SMG and was surprised by all the negative posts about it. I love it, would recommend it and would order it again.
My feeling is that it is a third transmission choice. It doesn't replace the steptronic or manual so you can't really directly compare it to them.
SMG is a manual with a computer controlled clutch. I like that when you shift you are solidly in the next gear, like a traditional manual. Shifts are very quick, you could match a few speed shifts with a traditional manual, but not every shift.
It has a launch control that lets you do a burnout; fun with lots of tire smoke and engine roar.
There is an auto-mode shift program for you or the wife, if you/she doesn't want to shift every gear. I think that this auto mode is causing all the comparison to the steptronic. The steptronic does the auto mode much better.
I would like to commend BMW for being the only luxury manufacturer to offer three transmission choices in a car like the E60.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have the E60 SMG.

I would NOT recommend this car for a wife driving to get groceries. It is not a suitable alternative to an automatic transmission. The SMG is a true manual transmission that just happens to have a computer assist feature. But it still must be driven as a manual.

The shifts on the SMG take practice to make smooth. Unless your wife can drive a stick shift manual, it is unlikely she will get the hang of the SMG without giving the kids mild whiplash in the back seat each time the car shifts. You can't just drive this car like an auto. You must feather the accelerator to maintain speed while slowing down.... because there is no Overdrive feature like an automatic car has. (Where your car gently coasts when you let go of the accelerator)

I love my SMG... but that is because I've had years of experience driving my brother's M3 manual. If I had never driven a manual transmission car before.... there is no way I would enjoy the SMG like I do now.

Quick Reply: SMG, manual or auto mode?