E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG long term viability

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='631221
Further to Rudy's comments, it's really hard to get a feel for the SMG from a short test drive. You will get the idea of how it works from a test drive, but you need to drive it for a month or so to really learn how to drive. It's a bit of a leap of faith but as Rudy points out, most people that have them love them. I sure do.
Wise words I'm sure regarding the SMG. Well stated, guys. Reminds me some of the ongoing debate about iDrive an whether it's an advancement over touch screen and buttons, another somewhat "old fashioned" approach.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I miss discussing the SMG! I am a technical person so I understood exactly what it was and it drove as I expected. Rudy and I and some others had the first builds that offered SMG so we never had the opportunity to see, drive or talk to anyone with an e60 with SMG.
Unlike other car makers which just add graphics, plastic or decals, the options you choose on a BMW can dramatically change the personality of the car. SMG, active steering and sport package are great examples.
I would first understand what SMG is and decide if you like the concept. Then use only the opinions from people that have actually owned/leased a SMG car.
Good luck