E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Long time visitor, first time poster...my 04 530 with SMG has been a great car, and my 3rd BMW...I LOVE THE SMG and forgot how great it is, till now....But with 110k miles and the original owner, I thought it would last forever! LOL. Started leaking, and didnt notice, and then boom. Went to failsafe mode, 1-3 and R, and then NADA! Towed home and read the entire internet on SMG and it truly is a remarkable transmission. Refilled fluid and called tech who retired from dealer who will come over the weekend, but any advice? I know the leak needs repair first, but assuming its just a line (i can pray) maybe it will just need a prime and program? When I open the door the pump is sounding. BUT it ONLY STAYS IN NEUTRAL as of Today. That pump is expensive and I suppose that is the worst case scenario?
Thanks again for the hours of great reading.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Damn! I sure hope it's the line. If the SMG trans is gone, get ready to pay some big bucks. Sucks dude.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mikerapp' post='837981' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:41 AM
Long time visitor, first time poster...my 04 530 with SMG has been a great car, and my 3rd BMW...I LOVE THE SMG and forgot how great it is, till now....But with 110k miles and the original owner, I thought it would last forever! LOL. Started leaking, and didnt notice, and then boom. Went to failsafe mode, 1-3 and R, and then NADA! Towed home and read the entire internet on SMG and it truly is a remarkable transmission. Refilled fluid and called tech who retired from dealer who will come over the weekend, but any advice? I know the leak needs repair first, but assuming its just a line (i can pray) maybe it will just need a prime and program? When I open the door the pump is sounding. BUT it ONLY STAYS IN NEUTRAL as of Today. That pump is expensive and I suppose that is the worst case scenario?
Thanks again for the hours of great reading.
Dealer quoted me $1600 to replace the SMG pump. After pleading, they actually covered it under warranty (51k miles).

Good luck, hope they fix it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

110K miles! Not bad on the SMG... I was afraid it wouldnt last that long... I mean we had an Audi A4 with 138K miles on the same clutch...

I think this isnt a clutch issue but 110K before a SMG problem came up... not bad... not bad...
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='838017' date='Apr 6 2009, 02:19 PM
110K miles! Not bad on the SMG... I was afraid it wouldnt last that long... I mean we had an Audi A4 with 138K miles on the same clutch...

I think this isnt a clutch issue but 110K before a SMG problem came up... not bad... not bad...
....And then you hear of an SMG owner on his third transmission (not pump!) in 60k miles. Luckily, all under warranty.

I've had that happen to me twice, once was a leak, once was a dying pump. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Scary... I have 04 SMG 530i with aftermarket warranty
Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us SMG lovers updated.

Won't surprise me if it was just the pump or line. It must have some type of pressure montior system in there and when it gets below "x" amount it goes in to the safe/limp mode and then when it reaches another lower level it cuts it out completely.

Pump shouldn't be to bad if you can find a source outside of the dealership for the pump.

Good luck with it all.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='838313' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:11 PM
Keep us SMG lovers updated.

Good luck with it all.
+1
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

I'm actually interested in the fact that you have 110k miles on your car. Is that the highest on this board? I'm assuming you ran out of warranty a while ago, how has the repair bill been since being out of warranty? How long do you plan to keep the car?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by amit1947' post='839122' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm actually interested in the fact that you have 110k miles on your car. Is that the highest on this board? I'm assuming you ran out of warranty a while ago, how has the repair bill been since being out of warranty? How long do you plan to keep the car?
Its actually 112k, and most of it was highway mileage. Commuting from Palm Beach to Ft.Lauderdale and many, many trips to the Florida Keys! I am keeping the car, cause trade in with this mileage is CRAZY and it looks like new, so a few mods on the horizon (M-Kit, Rims and exhaust) and I will fall in love with it again! LOL . I didnt have warranty since 50k (big internal debate as to trade in at that point) , and have ONLY invested in tires, plenty of tires and YES, I stopped buying run-flats. I change fluids and filters every 3-4k miles and I changed the brake fluid as recommended. Thats IT! I plan on changing the plugs and fliter at the same time I have the SMG repaired, like this week....The only problems not fixed are the cup holder passenger side. In addition, I was unhappy with the premature wear on the window lift bezels and shifter plate (I removed and painted that one weekend and it looks great) In the meantime, I love buzzing around in my Cooper S and playing cowboy in the F-250 while the "5er" sits in the garage next to the IROC. Do I get a badge for the grill for the most miles? I know I cant compete with some of the mods you guys do, but I sure can take a road trip! LOL
Attached Thumbnails SMG Failure!-img_0554.jpg  

Quick Reply: SMG Failure!