E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG on e60

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
ET7
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is that possible? I test drove a 2010 with paddles...
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by ET7
how is that possible? I test drove a 2010 with paddles...
Both the SMG and the sport auto have paddles but a totally different driving experience. With the SMG wheather in manual or auto mode you will still have that pendulum effect on gear changes. With the sport auto, I believe it has a double clutch and shifts much smoother like a traditional auto. SMG is NOT an auto, it is a manual with auto mode. Sport auto is NOT a manual, it is an auto with a manual mode.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

If you test drive an SMG and Sport Auto tranny you will feel a world of difference. The auto shifts... well like an auto, pretty smooth and easy. You can use the paddle shifters to change the auto gears but that's it. SMG is a manual transmission minus the clutch pedal which the car operates for you. In auto mode on the SMG, it shifts like a manual car, you can feel the rpms drop, a slight bob, then the upshift, exactly as you would shift if you had manual except the car does it for you.

I've never driven SMG but I heard there's a learning curve to get it smoother/running well. It's a nice balance between auto and manual. If you're sick of manual but still an ethusiast of sorts, SMG is for you. If you want auto but the chance to change gears yourself once in a while, go with Auto. The SMG also has several manual modes which makes it even more fun.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by TakmaN
If you test drive an SMG and Sport Auto tranny you will feel a world of difference. The auto shifts... well like an auto, pretty smooth and easy. You can use the paddle shifters to change the auto gears but that's it. SMG is a manual transmission minus the clutch pedal which the car operates for you. In auto mode on the SMG, it shifts like a manual car, you can feel the rpms drop, a slight bob, then the upshift, exactly as you would shift if you had manual except the car does it for you.

I've never driven SMG but I heard there's a learning curve to get it smoother/running well. It's a nice balance between auto and manual. If you're sick of manual but still an ethusiast of sorts, SMG is for you. If you want auto but the chance to change gears yourself once in a while, go with Auto. The SMG also has several manual modes which makes it even more fun.
Yeah, my first few weeks on the SMG had my passengers looking like a bobble head lol, no way they could drink anything while I was driving, It would always end up in their lap. Now I'm better at it, but it will never shift like a true auto in any mode.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
ET7
Members

Yea the 2010 I droev had paddles and I noticed when I would come to brake at a light I would feel the car down shifting through each gear where most automatic cars, you hardly ever feel it.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
ET7
Members

how do you konw if it is SMG or not? If it has the "sport" button by the shift knob, than its SMG?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by ET7
how do you konw if it is SMG or not? If it has the "sport" button by the shift knob, than its SMG?
No offense but you are acting like a troll or very ignorant. Many others including myself already explained to you that last year model that were equipped with smg was 2007.
And you are keep asking if 2010 you test drove is smg. No wonder no one is posting replies to your thread anymore. I'll bite it for the last time and reply to you, the sport button you saw on 2010 is sport auto tranny which is an $500 option(last time i checked was $500). To make it very simple for you to understand, 525, 530, 545, 550 from 2004-2007 were equipped with smg. And it says smg on the shift knob. Anything else you see is auto.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM
ET7
Members

bro, I have a picture of a 2008, WITH paddles, and SPORT mode button thing, to me, from my understanding...taht says its SMG. I am obviously confused as to what exactly SMG is than if it isn't those 2 (paddles with sport mode)...thats why I am on the forum I am coming from an s2000 so the Honda scene doesn't have SMG hence I am confused.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As mentioned, I think it all boils down to this...

If the shifter on the console has the letters "SMG" at the top, then, you guessed it, it's an SMG.

Anything else, it's not an SMG.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
ET7
Members

ok, so if the shifter has the words SMG its SMG...so now my next question, if it has paddles on the steering wheel or the "sport" mode, is the transmission any different? or any more aggressive than a regular automatic?

Quick Reply: SMG on e60